Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Prodigy washer Noisy during spin

GE Washer. Prodigy Noisy spin Spin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,759 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm Not very farmiliar with GE Washers AT ALL. I am working on a Prodigy that is noisy during spin cycle. Mod#WPSE4270A0AA. I'm Sure it needs bearings (noisy during spin cycle) but i cant find any on the part breakdown. It looks like its made in with the transmission and brake assy. Thanks

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Outer tub with bearing.
*Bearing only available with tub assembly.

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=2310017

Outer-Tub-WH45X10111--00878782.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

If it's the lower transmission bearing just above the brake, it's not a normal replacement item. You would have to replace the transmission.

Eric

#4 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Thanks guys. I am not the greatest with ge products. I dont see that many of them. The help is very much appreciated. The customer decided not to fix it (Just to let you know)

#5 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Im working on the same problem on the same machine, just a different color. A WPSE4270A0WW. The hub nut, WH02X1193, is a bear to remove. Even after purchasing a 1 11-16th socket I still couldn't get her off. I ordered a replacement hub nut and Im going to go back and cut the old one off. Maybe if I had a 6 point socket I could get it, but the only one I could find same day in my area was a 12 point and itll sooner round it off before it breaks free. Has anyone else ever changed this outer tub out? Any tips or tricks?

Any seals I should replace at the same time? The only service info I can find on it is the mini manual included in the machine, even on ge's website.

Edited by RussTech, 09 April 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#6 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

i have the service manual at work in a pdf file. i havent added any manuals yet but i will try to figure it out tomorrow. 

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

http://appliantology...prodigy-washer/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

The service manual covers the electronics, thank you though Sensei Reg.  Ill get back in a day or two to cut the hub nut off and take a picture. Aside from the hub nut the rest of the disassembly seems super easy, but I guess Ill find out. 

Edited by RussTech, 09 April 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#9 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Well, I found out. That hub nut is a bitch to remove no matter how you get at it. The bearing that you have to buy the outer tub to obtain, is just a metal sleeve. The grinding noise was coming from the lower transmission bearing. The transmission pulley bearing. Cant purchase it. Have to buy the entire gearcase which retails out at 300 bucks. I put together a new bid on just replacing the transmission and of course my customer declined. I don't recommend anyone ever attempt to remove the hub nut or the outer tub.

Edit: Even though I am a proud owner of a BRAND NEW GE OUTER TUB, I will condemn this symptom instantly in the future. I recommend you do the same. 

Edited by RussTech, 16 April 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Domo for the followup, Russ.  

Brother Durham says his shop doesn't even go out on GE top loaders because pretty much any repair puts it at the replacement cost.  They're basically throw-away units.  I've seen this same thing and have adopted his position.

#11 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

You do realize the tub nut is lefthand thread? I replaced the same transmission in my own washer (11 years old) last year and had no problem getting the nut off. Transmission was $178.

Eric

#12 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

I do realize its left hand thread. And its not 178 through my part supplier. 

Edit: Okay, Ive thought about this one for awhile.. Your right, that hub nut shoulda came off easy. Mine didnt. I also misdiagnosed, thinking there was some secret bearing built into the outer tub. The bearing noise was so loud I couldnt tell where it was coming from, plus the tub seal was obviously leaking, so I just assumed. 

If this was my own machine, yeah it would be worth repairing. I still dont think these ge washing machines are worth working on from a service level though. 

Edited by RussTech, 18 April 2013 - 10:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics