Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
mareedj

Whirlpool under counter ice maker freezing up

28 posts in this topic

I have a whirlpool GI15NDXTQ0 under counter ice maker, it started freezing up, the ice inside becomes one big lump stuck together, also the waterpan and filltube will freeze solid, icicles will hang down inside, sound like the compressor runs all the time. Any suggestions? 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

posssibly a bad harvest thermistor...maybe the circu pump has failed.

either way , gotta get it thawed to see. the circu is easy...is it washing water over the freeze plate?

to rule out the harvest/evap thermistor, simply disconnect. unit will revert to a timed cycle instead of temp.

yes it is washing water over the freeze plate, most of the time it will produce ice until it is full, but by then all the ice is stuck together, and the compressor keeps running, or so it seems anyway, I can feel air blowing out the front

disconnect the evap thermistor...there are 3 plugs above the cutter grid...one is the grid(frt left) one is the bin thermistor (frt right)...the back right is the evap thermistor.

try unplugging it and see what ya get.

ok will try it in the morning thanks

pictures ?

Still the same problempost-82649-0-56970100-1365262077_thumb.jpost-82649-0-49340300-1365262229_thumb.jpost-82649-0-56970100-1365262077_thumb.jpost-82649-0-49340300-1365262229_thumb.j

I recently posted about my ice maker freezing up, last reply I got was to unplug the evap thermistor, so I did just that, no change, when it gets full of ice it freezes solid, so I have been turning it off for a few hours till it thaws a little, so this morning it seems like it stays in a rinse cycle, fills up with water, runs a little and pumps it out, over and over. 

So any ideas?

for some reason they are upside down

No reason to start a new topic on the same problem....

anyhoo, take a look at the water reservoir sensor. It is a white, paddle shaped, sensor that sticks down into the the water reservoir thru the same plate that holds the circulation pump. It has 3 wires that will corrode and break loose at the connection plug.

if you find this to be true, again, simply unplug the connector and the unit should return to somewhat normal operation. Then you can order a replacement..

No reason to start a new topic on the same problem....

In fact, please do not start a new topic on the same problem, mareedj. Topics merged.

The reason I started it over was that I did not get any replies anymore on my original topic

No worries...just bump with another post in the future...

New info and symptoms will produce new suggestions...

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus

I unplugged the water level sensor like you said it has a corroded wire at the plug, but still fills with water, runs for a minute and dumps it

Replacement Water Fill Sensor

Water-Fill-Sensor-2313643-01071730.jpg

Yep...order up the sensor. Also inspect the wires and pins in the other side of that plug.

Thanks, got one ordered,

ok so new water level sensor and new thermistor, same problem, fill, rinse, dump etc

one thing I noticed while I was watching it was the light inside flickered a couple times and at the same time there was a clicking sound from underneath the machine, this happened about 4 times in 3 minutes

very important info there...so this unit has a drain pump, not a gravity drain?..

sounds like the pump is slow (kinked or pinched hose, restricted at sink connection, trash in the intake screen of the pump inlet) causing the "flood switch" to activate, there by restarting the cycle over.

test the drain pump by pouring a quart or two of water into the ice bin...does the light flicker when you do this, before all the water is pumped out? if so, need to check the aformentioned things about the drain pump...

drain pump works fine, the clicking sound and light flickering happens without anything else running. 

the drain pump kicks in every time the system dumps the water and when I pour water in it. 

ok so it helps to pay attention to what one reads, the flood switch was triggered indeed, got it fixed, its running now, just dropped the first ice, will see what happens when it gets full. hopefully no freezing up

Haha! Damn good thing, cause I was slap out ta suggestions !

ok so its making ice, BUT, it keeps making ice if it gets full, you open the door and it falls out and it is to the top of the cutter grid. So I guess that would be the bin thermistor? And why would everything go bad all together?

your on the right track...not sure about the cascading failures. Seems like we might have not been communicating very well on some issues...

at this point, ya have to deal with symptoms as they arise. TodAYS symptoms say bad bin thermistor.