Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Cooling/Freezing Mystery?!?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,077 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

23 yo fridge and considering sealed system repair? "da da da.. know when to fold 'em.... da.. da... de... da... when to walk away" ... Oh, don' t mind me, far be it for me to tell you to go shopping for another fridge, I just like singing... "de... da... da.. when to run."

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hey, I like singing (and Kenny) as much as the next guy and I get your point but I would just like to feel that I have "covered all the bases" and "checked all the boxes" before I give up for good on this good, old unit (like a family friend)? So, if nothing more than to humour me, could you just give at least my last post a re-read and offer me some soothing words of wisdom/experience to my questions/thoughts so I can at least feel that I have made a fully informed choice. Thanx

#23 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,077 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Not sure what to tell you. Experience techs, based on the info and picture you provided, already gave you the answer...ie you have a sealed system failure on a 23 year old Frigidaire. Nothing you have provided after that determination was made changed that answer and therefore no follow up response was necessary. We have spent more time advising you of this than an experience tech would have spent in the field. No frost build up, several evap lines not cooling, hot and running compressor. In an out in a few minutes.

Then you asked if unplugging the fridge for a few hours would  clear your problem. Did we really need to answer that question? Don't you think we would have suggested it? What did you expect "oh, sorry, we forgot to tell you to unplug your fridge for a few hours." That's a tad bit insulting, don't you think?. We understand it's hard to part with a long serving fridge. We also understand when it's time to let go, cut your losses and deal with the reality of the situation....hence Kenny. But just so there is no confusion, I will be blunt:

Do you have a sealed system problem.....yes
Does the evap pattern suggest the same.....yes
Does a hot yet running compressor suggests the same ....yes
What are the chances there is something else wrong after violins are shown and kenny is played.....zero to none
Will fiddling with the controls help or cause the problem.....no
Will unplugging the fridge and plugging it back in solve the issue.....how insulting
Is there some other reasonable possibility that no one has mentioned yet......not based upon current technology
Will it be expensive to do a sealed system repair........yes
Is it worth doing a sealed system repair on a 23 yo Frigidaire that has other issues and fast approaching its 30 year expected lifespan? Never...but it's your money.
Will Appliantology walk me through a sealed system repair....You have a better chance on hitting the lottery...there are some limits ya know

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#24 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

You may gain some inspiration from the Complete DIY Refrigerator Repair Reference Guide.  

#25 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Nothing you have provided after that determination was made changed that answer and therefore no follow up response was necessary.

Then you asked if unplugging the fridge for a few hours would  clear your problem. Did we really need to answer that question? Don't you think we would have suggested it? What did you expect "oh, sorry, we forgot to tell you to unplug your fridge for a few hours." That's a tad bit insulting, don't you think?.

But just so there is no confusion, I will be blunt:

Does a hot yet running compressor suggests the same ....yes
Will fiddling with the controls help or cause the problem.....no
Will unplugging the fridge and plugging it back in solve the issue.....how insulting
Will it be expensive to do a sealed system repair........yes
Is it worth doing a sealed system repair on a 23 yo Frigidaire that has other issues and fast approaching its 30 year expected lifespan? Never...but it's your money.

Never intended to be insulting to anyone!! Simply trying to bridge the chasm between the not inconsiderable, general problem-solving skills of a novice (but not an idiot) such as myself and qualified professionals such as those who frequent here. So 'excuuuuuse me'  if I happen to ask more questions than the average bear, some that you feel are unworthy but I have been 'bitten' more than once by the 'unanswered question'. Being a 'concrete sequential' kind of guy, I need to have each question given a response (after all, I didn't ask it just to get typing practise) - e.g., I don't know the significance of a compressor running hot (or how hot is 'hot') but it would be very helpful to me if someone would read that comment and say something like, "compressor normally runs hot and, unless it is so hot you could fry and egg on it, this is normal and not to be concerned about". The seeming 'coincidence' of this happening at the same time as the fridge controls had been 'inadvertently' adjusted downwards also warranted some kind of reasoned response. As to the question about turning the fridge OFF and then back ON (thinking was to try and clear a suspected blockage), I again just wanted to be sure that this possible cause had not been forgotten about as the 'other possibility' since it was not discussed further after first being mentioned.

The only "other issue" this fridge has is the defrost drain blockage, which is something we can live with. I have now isolated the problem to the 'drain cup' but have been unsuccessful in getting advice on how it comes out/apart.

Given that most manufacturers now offer a 1-year warranty on their products, how long should I expect a $1500 new, 'electronic' (mainboard unserviceable) fridge to last (longer than my repaired for, say $300, unit which matches my other kitchen appliances?). Such is life where I live!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics