Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Today's appliance engineers should be forced to work on the stuff they design

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

OK, in a nutshell, these new grandiose designs that today's appliance engineers dream is starting to suck.

Today I had to take an entire stainless steel outer door panel off a KitchenAid built in side by side refrigerator just to replace an ice dispenser door.  How nice of the engineers to hide all the dispenser screws under the door panel.

And what the hell is with all these freakin icemakers stuffed in the freezer doors? Does that really give the customer that much freakin room  by stuffing the icemaker and the bin in the door?

GE now has a one piece door on a dishwasher, if there is a problem with the dispenser or the touchpad, tough luck, you have to replace the entire door. The electronic control on this lovely GE dishwasher is now stuffed underneath the dishwasher hidden under the frame of the unit.you have to pull the door off it's hinges to make enough room to take the electronic control out or pull the whole dishwasher out.

Also gotta love every top load washing machine is now front serviceable BUT the Whirlpool brands, tough luck, you gotta crawl underneath the machine  and on the Cabrio's get behind them to change the drain pump.

Also gotta love Whirlpool using the one time use hose clamps on the new dishwashers, the hose clamps are so bad, they let go on their own, now Whirlpool has a rework, funny how they save 5 cents per dishwasher on the one time use hose clamp now costs them a $70 rework. They are also using that one time use hose clamp on the new front load washers, so now everytime you replace a drain pump on those washers you have to change the hose clamp. That's thinking Whirlpool.

Also, I would like to know why Whirlpool is making a ton of electronic controls NLA after only 5 to 10 years.  Like everybody will just go buy a new appliance.

OK, end of rant for now.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

It appears that over-engineering is the new trend

tumblr_mcamh0khMl1qzag1wo1_500_zpsf6e281

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I forgot Frigidaire and Whirlpool did away with  the bottom front access panel on the front load washers, so now if a dryer is stacked on the washer, and the washer  is full of water with the door locked, you will have to reschedule the call for 2 people.

And let's not forget the Frigidaire French door refrigerator with the icemaker that is part of the sealed system and had 5 or 6 revisions because the thing never even worked when it was brand new. 

AND the Frigidaire dishwasher that has 4 panels you must remove before you even get to the pump and the motor. That model leaks so bad, they have a "leak kit" available that comes with all the hoses, etc because nobody knows which part is actually leaking.

Scott Wolf

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

A few YEARS ago, the Whirlpool "field" engineers use to ride along with a few techs to see what difficulties they faced in the field -- haven't heard of, or seen, this recently...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

These companies are driven by the EPA and money, not the customer. Man, they put watt limiters in ceiling fans so they can not draw more than 1.6 amps, but I'll bet Al Gore's house gets an exemption.

#6 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

I remember when Whirlpool was showing the factory service techs the working model for variable speed compressors when they were coming.  He said, "Don't stop the evaporator fan for any reason, it will cause the main control board to fail."  Fifteen hands went up at the same time to ask what they were thinking.  We also weren't allowed to touch the model, it was the only one they had and didn't want it broke.

#7 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Retirement - love it....................

#8 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Same engineers have told me that they have "NEVER" seen over-sudsing due to a rinse aid issue, still can't figure out why problem goes away when a leaking dispenser is replaced...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Took a call the other day on a Whirlytag top load washer not getting hot water.  Customer stated on the phone he and his buddy (both engineers) and their wives were renting this condo and that they had checked everything and that the washer was just not getting any hot water.  I even asked him if they made sure the hot water valve at the wall was turned on and he said yes.  Ok, I figure a bad atc or inlet valve and head out.  Arrive on scene.  One of the wives let me in and I start talking to both couples (who really were super nice people) about the quality of the direct drive Whirlpool built Maytag washer and how it's one of best engineered design ever.  Get to the washer and first select cold fill and start.  Good fill on cold so I switch temp control to hot.  Sure enough no hot water but I hear the solenoid buzz.  With a sheepish grin I reach to the left hand wall and turn on the hot water valve.  Like magic hot water flowed forth.  At first stunned disbelief and then shared laughter.  Still maintaining the sheepish grin I hand her the bill for the service call which she gladly? paid and told her if any other problems to give me a call.  I bet both wives were taken out for an expensive dinner that night.

PDuff: 2   Engineers: 0

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Another favorite, Over the range microwaves that have to be taken down from the cabinets just to do a simple repair like replacing the electronic control or door switches just because ALL screws have to be hidden now.

Scott Wolf

#11 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Serviceability is losing badly to cost reduction measures and style.

#12 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Electrolux's Has a history of building over engineered product with no usefull diagnostics and a Techline that is unable to give any useful advise .

I give you the Electrolux  frenchdoor Refrigerator with built in ice maker

Riker is almost two years old . I should not know my costumers childrens first names , I have worked on Stella's Electrolux at least ten times going back to before Riker was Born.!

Past case : Electrolux Range . Called Techline on "no display on cook top". I was advised “Order these three boards , Part numbers given . If the first board doesn't fix the problem put in the second board If that docent work put in the third board. “

This is Elcrolux's diagnostics as advised by There Techline.

Each board worth $200 .Under Warranty not a problem .

When it's a paying call I have to explain to the consumer I have to order $600 worth of parts . But I will only install the parts you need . But if I install the first board and it doesn't fix the problem , it is not returnable and you have to pay for it. Same for the second board.

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

... it is not returnable and you have to pay for it.

any part ordered from RepairClinic

can be returned for a refund (less shipping)

including installed electrical parts

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

18 " Frigidair D/W Hard plastic piece at the bottom of the door seal . Had to pull it out of the same drain pump twice .

After removing the crimped on clap !

Called techline ... is this a knowen issue and is there a fix . I was told "I have never head of this happening before"    :rolleyes:

Pulled a strainer out of the sink drain fliped it over and put it over the tub drain a perfict fit.

Told the costuner if you find the pladstic piace at the bottom of your tub repace it or your door seal will leak.

Oh yea , you need a new strainer for your sink.

#15 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

any part ordered from RepairClinic

can be returned for a refund (less shipping)

including installed electrical parts

Up here I have to order from Reliable Parts , Canada. When contracting to my service company.

Not all parts returnable !

#16 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I thought RC was delivering to Canada as of a year ago or so.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#17 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

We can't change the over engineering but we can do something about serviceability issues. It's actually pretty easy.

Every single time you see a factory rep at training or when they come into your shop for business remind them of this:

1) We are by far the people customers are asking "What brand should I buy?" after we tell them their machine is dead.

2) If your engineer makes my life difficult, I tell them to stay away from you.

3) If the number one person people ask is saying to avoid your brand, what happens to your sales?

Now design the damned thing so I can get into it.

If they keep hearing the same story wherever they go, they should start getting the message.

Edited by Vets Appliance, 14 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Good point, but most technical trainers ignore us when we complain about how hard the stuff is to get to.

Scott Wolf

#19 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

A few weeks ago I attended Marcone Training on the Samsung Dishwasher. When the Trainer pulled the kick panel off, I could not believe my eyes. NOTHING was accessible! No water valve, no drain pump, nothing! To service this D/W it had to be pulled from its installation.

That started the discussion of "after all these years of complaining, the manufacturers are still not listening to a word that the Servicers in the field are saying."

#20 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

A few weeks ago I attended Marcone Training on the Samsung Dishwasher. When the Trainer pulled the kick panel off, I could not believe my eyes. NOTHING was accessible! No water valve, no drain pump, nothing! To service this D/W it had to be pulled from its installation.

That started the discussion of "after all these years of complaining, the manufacturers are still not listening to a word that the Servicers in the field are saying."

Not to mention the fact that customer's cringe when they see we have to pull the units out of their installation to service them, especially when they have hardwood floors, or custom made kitchen cabinets.

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics