Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Today's appliance engineers should be forced to work on the stuff they design

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,608 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Had a standard Ge profile warm fridge repair today... Fridge was dead other than lights. No problem, stuck in defrost or temp sensor failure. Customer said "you know, i had a problem with the ice maker water line in the back of the fridge where re it connects to the ice maker water feed tube. " Okay, " I said dismissively, thinking hey let me work on one problem at a time. Then, i loosened the screws to the mainboard compartment and water cascaded out of it.

"WTF?" Never seen that before. Customer said, "I told you the water line came loose." And sure as shooting the board is sitting directly under the icemake line connection to the water spout. Hellbells, I thought for sure that compartment would be at least water semi-tight. Not! What too dumb to ride the small bus moron came up with that design?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 MAPS Appliance Repair

MAPS Appliance Repair

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hey I found the evap fan motor in the bottom mount GE fridge. I should be a actor.

#23 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hey I found the evap fan motor in the bottom mount GE fridge. I should be a actor.

Drawer or Door model?

#24 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

I thought I read or a former Sears coworker said the NLA board problem with Whirlpool was due to damage of an overseas plant that was hit by a tsunami. I forget where I heard that, but apparently that is why the built-in refrigerators boards have to be sent off to be rebuilt.

Edited by BryanS, 02 January 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#25 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

:soapbox:

So, Whirlpool announced that it will stop selling the sump assembly for the Global Wash System (GWS) as a all-in-one replacement part due to the fact technicians are not taking the time to properly diagnose the individual components.

This thing leaks in two areas:

A) The discharge hose blowing off the wash pump, attached with factory crimped clamps that can not easily be replaced.

B) Another great source of leaks is the diverter motor seal, which destroys the diverter motor and corrodes the attached harness connections. The seal is factory pressed into the sump, sump replacement is required, along with diverter motor and sometime the wire harness...

Sump assembly replacement takes about 20 minutes. Replacing individual parts takes much longer and can cost more.

That's my 2 cents...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#26 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

Just replaced a drain pump on a Frigidaire dishwasher today. Who in the hell came up with putting the pump motor in the back of the sump assembly. Had to slide the whole dishwasher out. Remove the circulation motor cover and remove the 3 screws. I wanna kick that engineer straight in the nads.

Edited by applianceman97, 08 April 2014 - 12:53 AM.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#27 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

Samsung range, must remove cooktop to replace broiler. Added bonus: Replacement broiler does not fit into original brackets...

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 08 April 2014 - 04:46 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#28 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,608 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Samsung range, must remove cooktop to replace broiler. Added bonus: Replacement broiler does not fit into original brackets...

You're kidding right? April's fool day is long past.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#29 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

That's insane!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#30 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Makes perfect sense in the Samsung universe.  :borgsmile:

#31 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Need to charge double on some of these bad designs when they are out of warranty. If you do warranty, you need to talk to the manufacturers that these dumb designs are why you want higher labor rates to do their warranty work otherwise they can go pound sand.

Scott Wolf

#32 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

You're kidding right? April's fool day is long past.

Luckily, had a preview via a service manual, else I would have done serious damage trying to access said broil element from oven:

Remove cooktop

Get lock assembly out of the way

Remove heat shield

Remove broiler box

Remove clamps near terminals

Flip broiler box over

Remove cover

Remove more clamps

Replace extremely fragile glass broil element

Reverse process...

shake head in disbelief..

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 09 April 2014 - 04:49 AM.

Mother Teresa

#33 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

When Samsung was first introduced into our local market, every servicer I know signed up to be warranty authorized, including us.  Now, every servicer in the area has dropped Samsung, including us.  Who does that leave....A&E?

#34 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

I see they finally wised up on their refrigerators. The defrost heater is now a Calrod heater and is finally replaceable separately from the evaporator.

Scott Wolf

#35 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Dent in GE dishwasher door panel. No biggie, 15 min job... Wrong!

Have to remove door from dishwasher to replace front panel.

Struggle to find hidden screws before calling for tech assist, something about releasing the tension on the hinge spring linkage, only then I realize they meant so the door could be removed.

Giant jigsaw puzzle with tabs and slots that don't want to slide back together after being separated.

90 mins later, dented SS door replaced with new panel covered with sweat and fingerprints.

Next one should only take about 30 mins now that I know how it works...

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 10 April 2014 - 08:37 AM.

Mother Teresa

#36 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Dent in GE dishwasher door panel. No biggie, 15 min job... Wrong!

Have to remove door from dishwasher to replace front panel.

Struggle to find hidden screws before calling for tech assist, something about releasing the tension on the hinge spring linkage, only then I realize they meant so the door could be removed.

Giant jigsaw puzzle with tabs and slots that don't want to slide back together after being separated.

90 mins later, dented SS door replaced with new panel covered with sweat and fingerprints.

Next one should only take about 30 mins now that I know how it works...

Make a video by any chance to share?   Something i need to start doing.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#37 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

Make a video by any chance to share?   Something i need to start doing.

Hind site is 20/20... If I had realized what a project I was in for, I may have had the foresight to document the steps. Maybe next time I run across one I'll think to document with photos  :sad:

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 10 April 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Mother Teresa

#38 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I have a video demonstration on the whole dishwasher if anybody is interested in it I can e-mail it to you.

Scott Wolf

#39 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

I've done those before, I was lucky the first time because I always pull out the mini-manual (tech-sheet) and run a full diagnostics before I do a repair. But the mini-manual actually stated about how to remove the door. So no swear, blood lot tears on my part.

If I wouldn't have seen it in the manual I could only imagine trying to figure that one out..

That would have been a B!1t@h
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#40 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Luckily, had a preview via a service manual, else I would have done serious damage trying to access said broil element from oven:

Remove cooktop

Get lock assembly out of the way

Remove heat shield

Remove broiler box

Remove clamps near terminals

Flip broiler box over

Remove cover

Remove more clamps

Replace extremely fragile glass broil element

Reverse process...

shake head in disbelief..

The new infrared broilers on the LG ovens are the same way. Had to replace one once and it was a royal PITA to say the least.What should have been a 15 minute job to swap a broil element turned into an hour job. So Samsung is not alone in this one. Maybe it's a Korean thing?

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics