Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire refrigerator defrost problem PHSC39EGSS1

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Harmony

Dave Harmony

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Harpoon IPA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Having an on going issue with a frigidaire phsc39egss1 frige, replaced adc control, defrost thermostat and the heater ohms out OK but the darn thing will not defrost, customer is defrosting every 3 weeks and is getting frustrated. How can you force defrost on these units and does anybody have a tech sheet or service manual for this unit? Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

from PDF page 1:

To activate manual defrost, press and hold the Freezer temperature UP (WARMER) key
while pressing the Fresh Food temperature DOWN (COLDER) key 5 times within 6 seconds. 
A “d” in the freezer temperature window and “F” in the refrigerator temperature window
will display when the heater is activated.
To deactivate manual defrost, press and hold Freezer temperature UP (WARMER) key
while pressing the Fresh Food temperature DOWN (COLDER) key 5 times within 6 seconds.
“d” and “F” will be displayed until the defrost cycle is complete. (approx. 8 minutes)

tech sheets
241639000.pdf   <  fixed link

Defrost is controlled by the
Main Control Board
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1056492

Main-Control-Board-241511102-00998370.jp

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Which board did you replace?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,084 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Those main boards are fun to change. I had to change one on a Kenmore Pro refrigerator and the board was too big to fit through the kick place hole. Take some 4x4's just in case you have to tip it back.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

If they don't fit thru the kickplate opening, it's usually because the flimsy bottom bar has be bent up slightly.  Wedge a 2x4 in opening and bend bar back down and the control board should come out.

I had one of these quite awhile ago that had the same kind of problem, I put it in a forced defrost and it would defrost fine but when left to it's own devices it would fail to defrost.  Customer didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it and I tried something that I had no idea if it would work or not, (found a switch on that main board marked ?ADC? and something else - I forget what it actually was marked but the only switch on the main board.  I switch if from the ADC setting to the other/manual setting and never had another problem with it).

I don't know if all of these style boards have that switch or if it was only on the earlier models and have never found anything in any documentation regarding this switch and it's purpose but from the markings it appeared to be something to turn the ADC function off and set it to a normal timed defrost  function.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

(found a switch on that main board marked ?ADC? and something else - I forget what it actually was marked but the only switch on the main board.  I switch if from the ADC setting to the other/manual setting and never had another problem with it).

I don't know if all of these style boards have that switch or if it was only on the earlier models and have never found anything in any documentation regarding this switch and it's purpose but from the markings it appeared to be something to turn the ADC function off and set it to a normal timed defrost  function.

That's pretty cool and some fast thinking. I wished all boards had this feature.

#7 Dave Harmony

Dave Harmony

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys, I did replace the main board behind kick plate and will look for the switch, Thanks

#8 Dave Harmony

Dave Harmony

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Sent user manual not tech sheet pdf, could you resend tech sheet? Thanks

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

:wacko:   fixed link

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Dave Harmony

Dave Harmony

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Has anyone had any issues with new boards not powering up frige . I put 2 of these in and they alarm on power up and do not turn unit on and there are no lights or anything on fresh food side, freezer light is on but compressor is not. I'll put original replacement board in that will not defrost properly and it runs ok just no defrost. AP wagner is giving me 2 more new boards to try but I'm wondering if its something else going on. Seems to defrost on manual and I've replaced the tsat and heater has resistance.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

If they don't fit thru the kickplate opening, it's usually because the flimsy bottom bar has be bent up slightly.  Wedge a 2x4 in opening and bend bar back down and the control board should come out.

I had one of these quite awhile ago that had the same kind of problem, I put it in a forced defrost and it would defrost fine but when left to it's own devices it would fail to defrost.  Customer didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it and I tried something that I had no idea if it would work or not, (found a switch on that main board marked ?ADC? and something else - I forget what it actually was marked but the only switch on the main board.  I switch if from the ADC setting to the other/manual setting and never had another problem with it).

It would be good if all  fridges can be opted out of the adc routine either by a button or by taking out a resistor as suggested in a whirlpool bulletin (Attached File  new9f39abc0-ce2b-4a0e-86b2-dc28a1c56bb6_WhrlplRefBulletinIncompleteDefrostADCresistor8178769.pdf   1.52MB   11 downloads)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics