Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Harmony

Frigidaire refrigerator defrost problem PHSC39EGSS1

11 posts in this topic

Having an on going issue with a frigidaire phsc39egss1 frige, replaced adc control, defrost thermostat and the heater ohms out OK but the darn thing will not defrost, customer is defrosting every 3 weeks and is getting frustrated. How can you force defrost on these units and does anybody have a tech sheet or service manual for this unit? Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

from PDF page 1:

To activate manual defrost, press and hold the Freezer temperature UP (WARMER) key
while pressing the Fresh Food temperature DOWN (COLDER) key 5 times within 6 seconds. 
A “d” in the freezer temperature window and “F” in the refrigerator temperature window
will display when the heater is activated.
To deactivate manual defrost, press and hold Freezer temperature UP (WARMER) key
while pressing the Fresh Food temperature DOWN (COLDER) key 5 times within 6 seconds.
“d” and “F” will be displayed until the defrost cycle is complete. (approx. 8 minutes)

tech sheets
241639000.pdf   <  fixed link

Defrost is controlled by the
Main Control Board
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1056492

Main-Control-Board-241511102-00998370.jp

Which board did you replace?

Those main boards are fun to change. I had to change one on a Kenmore Pro refrigerator and the board was too big to fit through the kick place hole. Take some 4x4's just in case you have to tip it back.

If they don't fit thru the kickplate opening, it's usually because the flimsy bottom bar has be bent up slightly.  Wedge a 2x4 in opening and bend bar back down and the control board should come out.

I had one of these quite awhile ago that had the same kind of problem, I put it in a forced defrost and it would defrost fine but when left to it's own devices it would fail to defrost.  Customer didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it and I tried something that I had no idea if it would work or not, (found a switch on that main board marked ?ADC? and something else - I forget what it actually was marked but the only switch on the main board.  I switch if from the ADC setting to the other/manual setting and never had another problem with it).

I don't know if all of these style boards have that switch or if it was only on the earlier models and have never found anything in any documentation regarding this switch and it's purpose but from the markings it appeared to be something to turn the ADC function off and set it to a normal timed defrost  function.

(found a switch on that main board marked ?ADC? and something else - I forget what it actually was marked but the only switch on the main board.  I switch if from the ADC setting to the other/manual setting and never had another problem with it).

I don't know if all of these style boards have that switch or if it was only on the earlier models and have never found anything in any documentation regarding this switch and it's purpose but from the markings it appeared to be something to turn the ADC function off and set it to a normal timed defrost  function.

That's pretty cool and some fast thinking. I wished all boards had this feature.

Thanks guys, I did replace the main board behind kick plate and will look for the switch, Thanks

Sent user manual not tech sheet pdf, could you resend tech sheet? Thanks

:wacko:   fixed link

Has anyone had any issues with new boards not powering up frige . I put 2 of these in and they alarm on power up and do not turn unit on and there are no lights or anything on fresh food side, freezer light is on but compressor is not. I'll put original replacement board in that will not defrost properly and it runs ok just no defrost. AP wagner is giving me 2 more new boards to try but I'm wondering if its something else going on. Seems to defrost on manual and I've replaced the tsat and heater has resistance.

If they don't fit thru the kickplate opening, it's usually because the flimsy bottom bar has be bent up slightly.  Wedge a 2x4 in opening and bend bar back down and the control board should come out.

I had one of these quite awhile ago that had the same kind of problem, I put it in a forced defrost and it would defrost fine but when left to it's own devices it would fail to defrost.  Customer didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it and I tried something that I had no idea if it would work or not, (found a switch on that main board marked ?ADC? and something else - I forget what it actually was marked but the only switch on the main board.  I switch if from the ADC setting to the other/manual setting and never had another problem with it).

It would be good if all  fridges can be opted out of the adc routine either by a button or by taking out a resistor as suggested in a whirlpool bulletin (new9f39abc0-ce2b-4a0e-86b2-dc28a1c56bb6_WhrlplRefBulletinIncompleteDefrostADCresistor8178769.pdf)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0