Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Refrigerator Freezing in Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have fixed many of these whirlpool made kenmore's with this problem but this one i am having an issue with. The Refrigerator is at 20 degrees and freezing the food. Customer says the evaporator fan is running all the time, but the compressor is cycling (i have seen it myself). Air Damper is working. I changed the Thermisor in fresh food and freezer section (only found the one in the fresh food section on the break down, couldnt find the one in the freezer, so i figured they were the same part number (this may be my problem)) Anyway. Damper is always wide open and evap fan running. im thinking its the control board. Tech sheet is missing! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Kenmore mod# 106.55529400.

Edited by applianceman97, 09 April 2013 - 07:35 PM.

Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

Wiring Sheet - 2255375.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

does this one have the thermister in the control housing?

if its close enough to the light bulbs and the lights are not shutting off for some reason, the bulbs warm the thermistor and the damper stays open freezing the food

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#4 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thanks guys!
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#5 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Of course the tech sheet was gone. Thanks!

quote name="RegUS_PatOff" post="251966" timestamp="1365586421"]
Wiring Sheet - 2255375.pdf[/quote]

Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#6 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Okay. So here is what is happening. I put the refrigerator in test mode And All the functions tested okay. Yet when the refrigerator is on the damper is fully open and evap fan runs all the time. I have changed the thermistors and no change in cooling. Is the freezer thermistor and fresh food thermistor the same part number? I coulnd not find the freezer thermistor on the breakdown so I installed the same part # in both compartments. Im leaning towards the board just was hoping someone had seen this before.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

In the tech sheet, they call out three different part numbers for the thermistors depending on the cubic feet of the unit.  But the spec is the same for all three:  2.7k-ohms at 77F.  Not sure why the difference in P/N's.  I think it may have to do with the way they connect.  

The damper thermistor is P/N 2188819.  

Yet when the refrigerator is on the damper is fully open and evap fan runs all the time. 

Have you actually caught it doing this or is this the customer's report?  If the latter, what may be happening is frost is getting into the damper and making is stick open.  

#8 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I saw the damper wide open. I thought it was freezing as well but that wasnt it either. I wonder why the evap fan is always running. I have fixed tons of these issues before and never had this problem.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

I saw the damper wide open. I thought it was freezing as well but that wasnt it either. I wonder why the evap fan is always running.

I'm wondering how you know the evaporator fan is running all the time or if you're just taking the customer's report that it is.  I'm not doubting you, I need to know what you know and how you know it to make sure we're not mixing verified facts and customer reports which, as you know, are often two entirely different realities.  

Some diagnostic questions:

1.  Did you use a data logger to monitor temperature inside the compartment? (Always a good idea in these kind of problems.  You need real temperature data because a) most customer's don't have thermometers in their fridges and B) the thermometers they do have often suck.)

2.  If you move the control to "warmest", does the fan shut off and the damper close?

3.  In self-test mode, did you get eyeballs on the damper vanes opening and closing?

#10 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Customer says the fan runs all the time. I have been there 2 times and have never seen it off. When the control gets turned to the warmest setting the damper does not close nor does the fan shut off. I did see the damper vanes open and close in test mode. I dont have a temp data logger but it sounds like I should invest in one. Thanks for all the help. Every idea gets me closer to fixing this for my very patient customer
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#11 Kevin Vasconcellos

Kevin Vasconcellos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Lite

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I just came across the same situation on a service call last night. Damper was wide open, evap fan on & compressor off! Then while I had both doors open, the compressor kicked on. In service mode the control indicates that both the thermistors are ok. The damper had no frost on it or blockage of any kind & operated smoothly & quietly when step 5 damper test was performed. In damper test mode I unplugged & plugged in the damper motor several times & it started without hesitation each time. So now I'm at the cornfused/guessing stage of this B.S. Whirlpool/Kenmore problem: shall I try a new thermistor? Is it the board? Is it the damper not sending the right signal to the board? I left the machine with the damper unplugged & slightly open in hopes of helping the problem until I have it solved. Any feedback would be appreciated. Working on model 106.54606300. 

#12 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

When you run diagnostic tests does the compressor and fan turn off in defrost? Sound like the main control is the problem.

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

The evap fan running while the compressor is off may have been that short interval when this occurs during compressor start-up. The thermistor test performed by the board only tests for open or shorted thermistors.. It doesn't test for a thermistor being out of calibration. Either
1) test the thermistor manually and replace it if bad
2) replace the board if the thermistor passes or
3) no testing, no guessing just replace thermistor and board and be done with it.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#14 Kevin Vasconcellos

Kevin Vasconcellos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I don't know, but I got to thinking about it & the wiring diagram shows a switch integrated into the damper assembly & I'll bet that's what failed. The control not knowing the position of the damper would be a logical explanation. When it's in the test mode on the damper test, it just goes round & round & doesn't stop. Is that normal for the test??? I'll keep you updated on my progress...

#15 Kevin Vasconcellos

Kevin Vasconcellos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Well so much for that theory...on to the control board I guess. This SUCKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics