Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air range....D-120

slow to heat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Got an old J/A range...D-120....Complaint is slow to heat...Both bake and broil element operate when set to 'radiant bake'......takes about 10 minutes to reach  set temp. of 350 degs  ( actual temp is 390 ) and  then unit will settle at the set  temp with thermostat cycling.....Bake element is drawing 4 amps.   960 watts seems low but it is maintaining temps......Checked preheat against a new oven and  the new unit hit 350 degs in 8 minutes........do not have a wire diagram for the D-120...............  I do not think there is anything wrong with this unit, the range is in a weekend rental, it is just that most people do not get to use an almost antique................Rental agency whats me to tell the home owner it needs to be replaced, but in the last three years I have rebuilt almost every thing... ( new convection motor, new cartridges, new surface switches and new knobs ....  but not the T-stat, yet ).........rental agency would like to see newer appliances but they are not the one paying the $$$ to replace an old drop-in ................Any  old timer got in-site an old dog?????   .

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I hear nothing unusual there, CTG...
10 minutes to preheat? Nothing wrong with that...sounds like they want want you to be the mouthpiece for getting the owner to upgrade...tell em to do their own dirty work.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks,    Mr. K...............It's not every day you  see an old beast............When you check an element on a new unit,  the current draw is close to 10 amps. and with a bright orange glow.................This old one is only about 4 amps.   and a black/orange glow............Some folks like to keep Ol' Betsy going and those customers are in their 70's to 80's...............I have done quite a few new J/A installs and  the old units worked  O.K.....................The customer wanted a newer look....Those customers are in their 30's / 40's..............  The old ranges sat in the warehouse for a while cuz they were too nice to toss but after a while ( and a few cans of suds :gulp: )  they got recycled..............One old J/A can make two new ranges... :thumbsup:    .....

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

... and there's 240v going to the Range .. ?

and to the Element ?

not just 120v ?  :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

• If they do not like the 10 minute pre-heat cycle, wait till they get the new one with the hidden bake element that takes 20+! Lower wattage for smaller cavity units and this old girl has a much smaller cavity than the new units. I have a schematic if you do in fact need one, but it sounds like it's working as designed.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I agree.  Love this range!  Am gratified to see at least the thermostat is still available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics