Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 795.71022011

LG refrigerator LG icemaker

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Kenmore (LG) refrigerator complaint is ice maker takes 2 days to make a tray of ice.  I replaced the icemaker last September.  I do not think the IM is defective, some other problem, be it water, cold, valve, etc.   Be nice to have whatever is available 'cause when I was last there the unit had no manual that I could find.   Thank you.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

... 795.71022011

this may be close

795.7102.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Explained to customer yesterday that although I warrant the IM & labor for a year, if the water filter is in need of service (says has not been changed in year)  or if the water valve is plugged due to his water supply that I would expect a diagnostic fee to be paid.

Called customer before heading out on call this morning.  Ice maker works fine today,  says save me a trip, he will call when it is acting up again.   I says great glad to be of help.    What do you think, did I handle it correctly?

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Now, story has changed.   Bob says he changed water filter & ice maker made ice for 2 days then ice maker intermittnly makes ice, some days only a couple of harvests some days none.   I asked what freezer temp is he says minus 3 degree.  Claims I put icemaker a few months ago.  It was a few months ago when he installed new filter.

Open to all suggestions for troubleshooting the ice maker.     I find it hard to believe it never made ice properly the whole10 months he has been using it.

IgonFishn

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Moved to Kitchen Forum.

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

Go test the Icemaker with the understanding that if it's good there will be a service call and additional repairs that'll need to be made.

This should eliminate if he;s just trying to take advantage of you.

Here's a very good video on testing and icemaker:

Test

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

Nice video, although this LG built Kenmore Fridge uses LG's IceMaker  :wacko:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Nice video, although this LG built Kenmore Fridge uses LG's IceMaker  :wacko:

Oh crap, good catch, I should have done a little more homework. But it is a great video. At least the rest of the advice is sound.

So, here's my revision:

Go test the Icemaker with the understanding that if it's good there will be a service call and additional repairs that'll need to be made.

This should eliminate if he's just trying to take advantage of you.

Edited by tpoindexter, 01 August 2013 - 09:41 AM.

Test

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Funny thing, showed up yesterday, Indoor ice bucket mostly full & initial IR temps are in upper 20's.  As I am looking ice maker goes into harvest mode & drops its load in my hand.    So customer tells me it is working now but has never worked correctly.   Says it will 'drop' ice for a while then not 'drop' but I or 2 per day.   Refrigerator temp is set at 39, IR says 41 .  Freezer is set at -3, IR says 6 degrees.   I check bail arm for restriction, see nothing out of ordinary.   I check refrigerator door seal with George, it is good.   Can't test icemaker seal.

I do not know what to say, they say I am making excuses.     I put the ice maker thru its test cycle, everything normal.    I put it into its ultra ice mode (it has a double load of water), tell them to call me when it makes its 1st harvest.   They call 2.5 hours later.   say to them ice maker is working now call me in morning.   They leave a message in morning on my wifes answer machine, stating IM has only made a 75% bucket fill.  

This is where I am at.   Do I order another one & send this back to Repair Clinic (ordered 8/21/2012 & shipped 9/6/2012, received 9/13/2012)  Test one year warranty policy,    Do nothing (not good business), refund repair money (not good for me) or suggest to me things to do.    Sensor test light says it is good.   Looks rather difficult to replace, have not found  part replacement.

All ears.

IgonFishn

#10 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

You might want to pull evap cover and check for ice build up around the fan that supplies air to the ice maker compartment. If that's clear it sounds like your stuck reording an ice maker. 1 year is a long warranty for repairs.

#11 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Update:  Ordered & received a new IM to replace the one I replaced in Sept, 2012.  Made good on the warranty.    When I made service call to install new IM last August 2013, the ice bucket was mostly full of ice & as I started to pull old IM out, it harvest a load into my hand.   I still replaced it knowing nothing was wrong with it.  End of complaint, right.

Wrong.   Dude calls me today & leaves message that the one I replaced last 8/13 is not working & expects me to come service it.     I feel I got burnt & want to tell dude I do not work on Kenmore LG's any more.     What do Ya all say

IgonFishn

#12 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

Serial Number?

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#13 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,507 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

Not working at all? Have you had them count the cubes it makes. I have people complain about the ice makers not working fast enough bit when I have them count the cubes, it's fine.
Ice maker sensor bad? When the sensor is bad it reverts to the longest cycle. I think it's like 120 minutes.
Hopefully John will chime in.

Edited by applianceman97, 16 January 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#14 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

You originally replaced the ice maker in september of 2012. Sounds like he got 10 months of service before having a problem. Sounds like you honored the 1 year warranty and replaced it. Is your warranty from date of initial service or does the warranty start all over again each time you go out for free? I think I'd tell him we're now out of the warranty period by 4 months.

Since the trouble started again when he changed the water filter you'll be looking at other possibilities now since your certain the icemaker is no longer an issue. I'd tell him flat out the icemaker is good and there must be another issue that is now showing up.

And that you'll have to charge a service call.

Personally I give a 30 day parts and service guarantee. It's on my ticket. when I get questioned about it I tell them if it works for 30 days after my repair then the repair worked if it stops after that there are other issues that need to be addressed. I also tell them I'm not warranting parts longer than the factory is willing to but if the part is still under factory warranty I'll replace it at no cost but I will be charging for labor. I also like to throw in that the factory will warranty it for only 1 year when it's new an there's no way I'm warranting a machine that is used for more than 30 days. I also tell them I only warranty what I've done and if it's something different that must be addressed as a new call for service.

Edited by tpoindexter, 16 January 2014 - 01:38 AM.

Test

#15 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

Ya know, it worked for the first 10 months with no call. Obviously initially what you did fixed it. You've changed the icemaker several times since them ensuring the icemaker is no longer the issue. His problem is now different.

Ya know, I've ran into some people that when they think they've been charge too much they tend to complain. I can't tell ya how many times after I have repaired something I have ended up with calls that was more training them that they are idiots and need to pull their heads out of their ass.

Tell him your going to plug a chip into the board while your there that'll tell ya when it's turned on and how many times it harvest each day. You might also tell them if the doors opened alot it slows production.

Sorry, I don't think I'm helping. I just think the guys knows there;s something else going on, but, wants to keep riding the free pony.

Edited by tpoindexter, 16 January 2014 - 01:58 AM.

Test

#16 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

<<<I find it hard to believe it never made ice properly the whole10 months he has been using it.>>>

<<<Funny thing, showed up yesterday, Indoor ice bucket mostly full>>>

<<<So customer tells me it is working now but has never worked correctly.   Says it will 'drop' ice for a while then not 'drop' but I or 2 per day.>>>

<<<see nothing out of ordinary.>>>

<<<I put the ice maker thru its test cycle, everything normal.>>>

<<<Bob says he changed water filter & ice maker made ice for 2 days then ice maker intermittnly makes ice, some days only a couple of harvests some days none>>>

Indicates an intermittently functioning icemaker.

At times an "ER/IF" error will be displayed---(customers do not always see this error displayed)----when the Ice Room Fan Motor cannot run/turn due to frost/ice accumulation on the fan housing in the freezer.

Usually this frost will be reduced/melted after a defrost cycle----and the "ER/IF" error "goes away" for awhile.

Later the frost accumulation returns---and icemaker operation/capacity is intermittent again.

Keeps repeating this maddening inconsistancy over and over and over and over and over again.

Installing 100 new icemakers solves nothing.

New GrilleFan Assy has a MULLION HEATER within/inside the Fan shroud---TO PREVENT FROST/ICE FORMATION.

In addition---the "fins" on the evaporator Coils ***must*** be twisted off/removed nearest the IR Fan Motor Housing---to prevent "migration" of cold/frost from the Evaporator Coils---to the Ice Room Fan Motor Fan Housing.

A ****free*** upgrade by LG/Sears---if the Serial Number is within the build-date indicating need for the re-designed/new/upgraded GrilleFan.

What is the Serial Number???

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#17 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

The times I have stopped to look at the IM, the bucket has been mostly full & the IM harvested a load with 10 minutes of being there.  Taking temp readings they have been at 0 or below.    The refrigerator owner has told me he uses a lot of ice plus he drinks a lot of hard liquor.

I've seen   him at different occasions out & about, he has told me repeatedly that the ice maker works fine.  For all these months.  I hate to open a can of worms with him, maybe my hunch is wrong, I think he is playing me.

I never saw a code nor did he tell me if he noticed a code error.

I will stop by & talk to him tomorrow & ask for the serial number of the unit informing the client I am researching ice intermittency.   I will look forward to your expert instruction & advice John63.    I do want to get this problem, if indeed a recurring problem,  corrected.   After all that is why I am in the independent appliance business, to get it right.   Patricio

IgonFishn

#18 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

The good news is that---the refrigerator is likely covered for a free repair (by Sears).

Tell the customer---that you've been unrelentingly researching for an answer as to how & why the icemaker may be intermittently malfunctioning.

And lo and behold---you've finally hit paydirt---and it's a *manufacturing issue* NOT a mis-diagnosis by you.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#19 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Well,  I contacted this customer today.   When I informed him he left a message on my answer machine that his ice maker was not working again, he denied it & told me that he referred me to others, stated the replacement IM it has worked with no problems since I installed the replacement last summer.  I left it at that & wished him a good day.   Then went thru my voice mail messages & the message  was there.  Stated his name where he lived and that his IM that I worked on was not making ice again.  

I think he was inebriated, sounded tipsey & ran out of ice for his drinks.   The IM was not recycling fast enough for him more than likely.   Who knows.

Thank you for your help John63

IgonFishn

#20 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,507 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

That's what I was thinking. Ice maker couldn't keep up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LG refrigerator, LG icemaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics