Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

JennAir SVD48600P - Power Relay Board Fail

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mpalatas

mpalatas

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hey guys - new member here but experienced appliance repair guy.  Have a JennAir SVD48600P range with the F2 code.  Temp sensor is fine - repair manual says to replace "Power Relay Board".  Parts diagram shows callout 29, p/n 71002144, BOARD, RELAY (LWR) Note: BOARD, RELAY (CONVECT), but most of the usual repair parts sites show that p/n as discontinued.  I sent emails to 2 different board repair places and both refused saying they don't fix that part number.  Any ideas besides get a new range? I am hoping there is a new part number that crosses to that old number.  Attached File  JennAir Range Parts Manual.pdf   271.68KB   3 downloads 

Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Is that the board with (2) Relays on it

(and two Diodes)

the Relays could be replaced, if you can solder

Are you sure that Board is bad  ?

What's the symptoms ?

Relay-Board-12001690A-00563345.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 mpalatas

mpalatas

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

It isn't the one shown in the pic - which I think might be the Downdraft Board.  The Power Relay Board is two to three times bigger than that - and is shown on page 2-9 of the Repair Manual - which was sent to me in another posting but I can't attach it to this thread due to its 5.7Mb size.  The manual's first page is titled, "Maytag Appliances - Electric Slide In Service Manual" and marked with a "16010191, Issued 9/00" in the lower right corner of the first page.

The symptoms are the F2 code in the display and that the heat never turns on.  

Mike 

#4 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Apparently crosses over to Maytag Range Control 12001690 ?

Corecentric does repair Maytag Range Control 12001690 $109.99

And maybe some other guys too. 

http://www.repaircli...Number=12001690

shows the same part, just NLA, so I think its a match

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

... The symptoms are the F2 code in the display and that the heat never turns on.  

No Bake NOR Broil ?

would seem to be a bad Oven Thermistor
Did you check it's resistance ?
usually about 1000 OHMs at room temperature
Measure resistance at the Relay Board connecter J10
http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=1364

Oven-Sensor-12001656-00737941.jpg

#6 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Ive searched and searched. That board is gone. You cant even buy the board it subs over too. You have to find somebody with an appliance graveyard. 

Check the whole wiring harness, swap the temp probe for fun, repair the board, or condemn it. I've had rebuild jobs escalate to the point that corecentric wanted me to send in the touch panel and transformer. At a certain point its just no longer worth it. 

Edited by RussTech, 12 April 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#7 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Just remember when looking at the service manuals for this unit you have a P model which is the pro series. There is a board on the back, but that is strictly for Down Draft operation only. The board pictured a post or two back is for cooling fan and door lock only. The brains of this outfit is the clock assembly. If the sensor ohms fine, from the clock down, and you are 100% sure it is not the sensor or it's circuit, then the clock is what you need. Remember, sometimes sensors (and loads) ohm fine but are still bad. Prior to ordering a control I always have a sensor I put on the circuit to confirm. Does not happen often, but once was enough for me to always be sure.    

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#8 mpalatas

mpalatas

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Is anyone able to look at the picture on page 2-9 of the Maytag Appliance Repair Manual (described above) and make out the labels on the arrows.  The pdf copy sent to me by the moderator has black covering the labels such that I can't tell which board is the "power relay board".  I believe from the relative size of the two board shown in the parts diagram (nos. 28 and 29) that it is the larger board on the left side of the picture.  That would at least allow us to know what it does look like - and again - I don't think it is any of the boards pictured above or in any of the links.  Thanks.   

#9 mpalatas

mpalatas

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

What about the board at the below link?  It looks right - just not sure how the numbers might cross over to the p/n listed in the parts list I have (71002144):  

http://www.repaircli...12001691/400658

I got that link at the below page - that was pulled up on page 1 of a Google search - and it looks like it might have been from a previous post on an older version of this appliantology website!  The page has the same samurai graphic at the bottom!  

http://fixitnow.com/...torial-odyssey/

Mike

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

http://fixitnow.com/...torial-odyssey/

If you click on the link in that article,

Power Relay Board (PRB).

and then scroll down,
It shows (4) Relay Boards for that model

? ? ?
If you enter 71002144 into RepairClicnic parts search box,
it responds:
Sub 12001690 71002144

If you then enter 12001690 into the parts search box,
you get the Board I posted above
? ? ?

also, 71002144
at this site:
http://www.uakc.com/71002144.html

#11 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

http://www.repaircli...umber=SVD48600P

The Clock is what is what the sensor connects to on this unit. If the sensor and wiring is good, the clock is what we need.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#12 mpalatas

mpalatas

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Well now I am confused - one expert says the Power Relay Board is no longer available or repairable.  The other expert says it is not the board the service manual says to replace (though I will admit that the service manual is pretty generic), it is the Oven Control Unit - in the unit that actually has the display board/switch membrane in it. I suppose, either way, these "boards" are obsolete/out of stock.  I think I need to just bite the bullet and buy a new range - after all, it is 15 years old and has lived a good life!  UGH  Thanks everyone for all of the expertise/help!  You guys ROCK!!!

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Are you sure the Sensor is good

(measured OHMs at wherever Board it connects to)

good website for options / dimensions /etc..

lots of multiple choice drop-down boxes, etc ..

http://www.ajmadison.com/

#14 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

I actually managed to find that power relay board, and of course the clock is available which is what it probably is as Sensei Trying to help suggested. 

#15 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

On sensor error codes, if the sensor is fine, and you know it, whatever the sensor connects to is the problem unless there is a relay stuck on an aux board causing an element to stay on and it truly is a runaway temp. In this case, on the schematic I pulled, the  pro style like you had showed the sensor to the clock. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics