Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dlweatherby

Frigidaire Refrigerator PLHS68EESB2 will not defrost

19 posts in this topic

I've been working on this for awhile.

Ok here's what I have done so far:

It has a new genesis control with new harness.

Tested all defrost wiring from control to defrost heater, defrost thermostat etc.

Put in defrost mode- no power coming out of connector P1-7 brown wire which should be defrost power

Was able to jump P1-1 to P1-7 with connector unplugged from board and defrost heater comes on.

But it will not defrost in manual mode or by itself.

Any help would be appreciated...

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Same problem with original Genesis Board ?

Is there power between P1-1 and chassis (a good ground) ?
(confirms wall outlet polarity)

and the Fridge works, otherwise ? (Compressor / Fans) ?

Original problem would not defrost.

Compressor and fans run fine cools fine even with new control

120v from P1-1 black to ground.

I suggest you run all diagnostic tests from the board, even those that don't appear to apply to your problem. Something could be interfering with the board. Btw what are freezer temps?

NOTE
This product comes equipped with an Electronic Defrost Control.

To initiate defrost, depress the fresh food light switch 5 times in 6 seconds

(light bulb must be working).

To terminate defrost, depress the fresh food light switch 5 times in 6 seconds.

This is the confusing thing about frigidaire manuals. The manual covers both styles, those with adc and those with genesis controls. Does this note apply to genesis models ie does light switch defrost initiation work as well as control board initiation on genesis models? I never tried light switch method on genesis models before.

The manual talks about how and when the adc determines when to

initiate defrost. I could not find the same info for genesis. Such info may offer a clue.

Btw what are the part numbers or sevice kit number for the board and harness you replaced?

There is a service bulletin regarding the genesis ie Beta control boards advising of problems with incorrectly connecting red and black wires on the board causing heater malfunction. Facing the controls, the black wire should be on the left (closest to the main wire molex connector) and the red wire should be on the right.

Defrost info mentioned on PDF page 1

OR maybe PDF posted by DurhamAppliance

in the following post ...

Edited by RegUS_PatOff

Not so sure if that one applies Sensei,  unless I am looking at the wrong model  .... interface should be the 5th one down 

956_ManualDefrost.pdf

"very interesting ..."

rechecked wires on relay red and black wires are correct.

could P1-12 be shorted causing issue ?

Replacement part # FR 5303918340

I've been working on this 1 since original call

more than likely a wiring problem occuring in the line before the harness or you have another bad board. check all diagnostics to see if anything else is affected. Now we must use process of elimination and look for even the smallest clue. You may have to get another board from Repairclinic and return it if the problem persists in order to eliminate the possibility of a bad board.

what procedure are you using for "forced Defrost" ?

Good question Reg. Because of not being able to manually defrost, I did not suggest changing the freezer thermistor. I'm not sure how the beta determines when to initiate defrost but I am certain it consults the freezer thermistor as part of the algorithm 

To force defrost:

Press and hold Freezer up button

press fresh food down button 5 times

DF shows in display.

Harness comes with all new sensors

Tried another new board already, same results.

Hmmm so this is the third board. sCo_hmmthink.gif  Ok, great we're making progress and we got the fridge/enemy right where we want him (positive thinking can't hurt) So, subject to your testing, we can eliminate, board, sensors, heater (ohm it while disconnected?) , limit (replace it or bypass it temporarily just to be on the safe side) and wiring harness.

That leaves temp issues, wiring problem in the line before the harness or a short in another system causing board interference What's the temp in the freezer and have you done a complete diagnostic test? 

who installed the first replacement Board / Wiring Harness Kit ?

Did the Defrost work OK before and / or after that, at all ?

I installed parts

im going out thurs to try to check everything again and try to eliminate some parts

had the same Defrost problem before replacement ?

any other parts replaced ?