Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
reelynyceguy

Puzzling Fridge Problem

16 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone...

I have a Magic Chef top mount refrigerator Model #CTB2125GRQ. A few months back I noticed the thing seemed to be running constantly. Food was getting super cold. One weird habit it has is if it sits quietly for awhile and I open the fresh food door, the compressor starts. Almost every time, unless it's in defrost.

I figured it had a bad operating thermostat and purchased a new one (pn 61002085) from Repair Clinic, installed it and thought the thing was fixed. Nope.

Still runs constantly. Still starts when I open the door. Still have to keep controls cranked down so low they're almost off.

This has a rear condenser which is clean. Evap motor runs great, though somewhat loud. No air restrictions on air returns. Door gasket excellent shape.

I'm, well, lost...

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

When the unit is running, carefully remove one wire from the cold control.

If it keeps running you have a short in the wiring.

Not much to this one.  I agree with the shorted wire theory.  Does yours have adaptive defrost or a timer?  Could the polarity be reversed in the plug?

gallery_55589_30_114392.png

Edited by Strathy

Loose wire on the cold control is the likely suspect. Althoughnot sure if it applies here but when I hear magic chef, I automatically think defrost timer. Even if all inside lights are off... I think "timer. " If bozo the clown and all his friends emerge one by one from the fresh food section, if it's a magic chef, it's the timer. Heck, even if it has an ADC, I'm still looking for a mechanical timer..... just sayin

.... sooooooo, do you think it might be a timer?

... I figured it had a bad operating thermostat

everything goes through the Cold Control first

that's about all it could be ..

.... sooooooo, do you think it might be a timer?

even of it's the cold control, I guarantee the timer is behind it. Once, I was working on a Ge that stopped cooling, couldn't figure out what was going on. Went to the garage to check the breaker and what did i find in the garage? A magic chef fridge. Put a new timer in the magic chef, and the GE fridge started working again.

... figured it had a bad operating thermostat and purchased a new one

... Still runs constantly.... Still have to keep controls cranked down so low they're almost off.

what are the Fridge and Freezer temperatures ?

may need to see a picture of the Freezer Evaporator frost pattern

Not much to this one.  I agree with the shorted wire theory.  Does yours have adaptive defrost or a timer?  Could the polarity be reversed in the plug?

gallery_55589_30_114392.png

Not so much a theory. I got the recommendation directly from the Service Manual.

looking at the wiring diagram, if his model has an adc, then the problem is a faulty ADC (modern day timer) ....seems like that is the only way the temp control can be bypassed and still have a completed circuit ...blue to white or orange.  But then again I aint no electronic wizard, that's for sho.

Thanks for the replies everyone...this unit has a mechanical timer, not ADC. Will try all your suggestions and see what happens!

Not sure how it runs constantly and also sits quietly for a while

If evap fan is really louder than it used to be it might not be moving as much air causing longer run times. How cold is "super cold"? Does it freezes items in the fresh food side? Are items rock hard in freezer?

I am with the surfer . If it runs all the time, how does it start when you open the door? According to the schematic the power has to come through the cold control before the timer would be a factor. Somethin aint rite.

Faulty neutral or ground at outlet or main power box?  Had a lot of bad timers on the foreign made MC 11 cu. fts.