Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AcklandAppliance72

GE washer scraping noise during agitation.

3 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I went to a home to investigate a loud noise coming from a 2010 GE top load washer.  This was a high-end model ($700), with stainless steel inner tub, all the bells and whistles (sensors), etc.  The owner thought something major, like the transmission was shot, and he was about to shove the unit outside for the scrap man, and buy a new washer. 

I pulled off the front cover.  Everything looked brand new--no rust, cobwebs, soap residue, oil, or evidence of leakage.  We ran a small load, and the unit worked fine.  He put in a larger load, and when it started agitating, it let out a scraping noise that could be heard from outside, even next door!

I grabbed a flashlight, lay on the floor, and noticed some metal shavings.  It took about a minute to observe that when agitating, the pulley was scraping on the bottom plate toward the back of the unit. 

The owner told me that he had just moved into the house, and had used a dolly to move the washer down the stairs. Yep, the bottom plate was bowed upward just about 1/2 inch, which was enough to cause the pulley to rub on it.  A little CAREFUL bending, and the machine was running smoothly!

Edited by AcklandAppliance72

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thank-you for your enlightenment, oh wise Sensei. Indeed, the owner bought this washer 2nd-hand in a set from the original owner, so the shipping rod had already been removed when it was taken down a flight of narrow, precarious stairs.

Edited by AcklandAppliance72

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0