Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
buschman

model # wfw9400su01

15 posts in this topic

how to replace a tumbler in above model?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes.  A couple of dozen of them.  What do you want to know?

how to instructions would be most helpful.

lol.  ... here's the short version:

- Remove everything from the tub front and back.  (Shocks, hoses, pressure hose, bottom hose, ground wires, drive belt, motor, pulley - but leave the bellow still attached, just disconnect it from the washer front.) 

- Pull the weights off front and back to make it lighter.  (Tub's are about 53 lbs with all weights removed.)

- Lift the tub out the back (you might disconnect the top brace that holds the valves and lift it up to make it easier.)

- With a Sharpie, mark where the clips are on both halves.

- Remove all the clips and separate out.

- If you are doing this because of a bad bearing, you have to replace the rear tub as well.  

- Don't forget to gob up the new bearing with the supplied grease ... and don't forget the new gasket that goes between the tubs

- Put the halves back together - you may have to pinch them together with Channel Locs to get the first couple of clips back in place

- Reassemble

- Double check that all hoses have been connected before testing. 

Beer time.  

please don't take offence, but did you understand my question?  this was for the inside tumbler replace.  am I to believe the 2 tubs have to come out and apart to replace a tumbler?  I appreciate all your answers,  thank you very much..

If by 'tumbler' you mean inner basket, then my instructions stand. If you meant something else by 'tumbler', then please disregard. I don't believe Whirlpool uses the word tumbler, so I may have been totally off base in thinking you meant the inner basket. Sorry.

did you mean the vanes?

W0710151-00005.png

it's # 12 on that parts list you sent.  my parts look up called it a tumbler,  but yes it is a vane.  can that be done without a major tear down", can it be done from inside the drum?

the parts list calls it a baffle.   part # 8182233.  sorry.   thanks for your help.

I think on these, you can remove hose 19 from the outer tub and rotate the inner basket around to where the baffle retaining bolt lines up with that hole and lets you get a nut driver in there to remove the baffle.  But I may be thinking of another brand, it's been a while since I've had to do that.  

Yes, YES and yes , should be able to leave machine together , it should slip and snap in place

Domo for the confirmation, mark mac! 

BINGO!!!     you just hit a grand slam,   thank you very much!!!!!