Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

A.O. SMITH PROMAX WATER HEATER MOD - FCV 40 100 nat . Gas

ARAGON77

Hi there I got a A.O. SMITH WATER HEATER MOD - FCV 40 100 , that shuts off by it self after heating for about 20-25 min, I just replaced the thermocouple with the cut off , the igniter and pilot line .

I also tried cleaning the screen under the burner with my vacuum , but it didn't help at all ,

CAN ANY BODY PROVIDE ANY TIPS .... ...?.

what shuts OFF ? ...  the pilot ?

Does the incoming Gas Supply Line have a drip-leg at the Gas Valve ?

The pilot and the burner will shut off at the same time , pilot and burner only stay on for about 25 minutes .

And no there is no sediment. Trap at the gas valve inlet . I just put in a brand new thermocouple

It's not the thermal couple pilot assembly most of the time on these units.

Mostly always a plugged flame bearer ceramic disk that is plugged from not being maintained.

If you just ran a vacuum, (how you got it thru the little 3/4" x 5" slots I don't know), around with a crevice tool maybe - that's not enough.

You really need one of these: http://www.tightspotvacuum.com/ to clean them properly and sometimes if it hasn't been maintained for many year and no one ever installed the LDO (lint-dust-oil) screen, even that won't be enough and you will have to remove the burner assembly and flush with water from the top side while vacuuming from the bottom side to remove all the lint and dust that is accumulated/packed in the hundreds of little holes.

• Like 1

A big thanks to all for these useful tips , I'm going to try cleaning this lint ,oil screen and hopefully this will solve this problem . Once again thank you all for your help

Ref#11 is the LDO screen that needs to be used, (NOT LEFT OFF like you find so often with these units), you need to make sure the plastic LDO screen is clean but that isn't where the blockage usually occurs, (because it get left off most of the time).

Need need to get into and clean the ceramic disk under the burner, inside the air inlet openings that the LDO screen covers

• Like 1