Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RF4287HARS icemaker not working, water dispenser not working

Rf4287 Samsung fridge rf428

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

About to take on this beast.....never worked on one before (except at Asti, I think) and currently studying the material. I guess since I've been picking on Samsung lately, they are about to get their revenge.  But I won't go down without a fight.  I got two days to bone up on this thing but would appreciate some real world info from someone who has some experience.  Any info, caveats, warnings, suggestions (other than to chicken out) are welcomed. Thanks!

For those of you who would like to read along and join my study group......http://appliantology...ntation-bundle/

• Ohm likes this

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Buckler

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

About to take on this beast.....never worked on one before (except at Asti, I think) and currently studying the material. I guess since I've been picking on Samsung lately, they are about to get their revenge.  But I won't go down without a fight.  I got two days to bone up on this thing but would appreciate some real world info from someone who has some experience.  Any info, caveats, warnings, suggestions (other than to chicken out) are welcomed. Thanks!

For those of you who would like to read along and join my study group......http://appliantology...ntation-bundle/

It's probably the water supply ;-)

If it's not though... feel free to let me know if I can help in any way.

Edited by Ohm, 16 April 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

It's probably the water supply ;-)

Either that or clogged water filter......I hope.....but deep down inside I want the challenge but would thankfully avoid it in a scaredy-cat sort of way....you know like when you are thanking the Lord that your friend is holding you back while you are threatening to pummel someone because you figure you'll probably be the one to get pummeled. And as he "drags" you away you shout.."you better be glad I can't get to you!" while whispering to your buddy "please, whatever you do, don't let go of me"

But Ohm, since you "got my back" I'll at least face it with a stiff upper lip. But let's just hope it doesn't get busted

#4 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

lol!

Never had a clogged Samsung filter. I know you can remove the filter and water will still flow, so you can have the customer take the filter out to test.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

l Never had a clogged Samsung filter. I know you can remove the filter and water will still flow...

see...that's some good info to know...So is that true for most samsungs..ie water will flow without a filter or a bypass plug?

On this model, is the icemaker in the ff section sitting on a refrigerant line?...please say "no"

#6 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

see...that's some good info to know...So is that true for most samsungs..ie water will flow without a filter or a bypass plug?

On this model, is the icemaker in the ff section sitting on a refrigerant line?...please say "no"

Yes... Just pull the filter if in question. Also great when you don't want to pay for the replacement filter and don't feel the need to have one in the fridge.

The FF Ice room is cooled via an air duct/fan from the freezer evap. It's the new models have the refrigerant line in the FF ice room ;(

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

The FF Ice room is cooled via an air duct/fan from the freezer evap. It's the new models have the refrigerant line in the FF ice room ;(

Good to know, we worked on one of those new models during asti and the contortions you have to do with your arm to remove/reinstall the icemaker (after you defrost it first to release it from the refrigerant line) takes some practice. What I didn't do was get the model number so won't cringe everytime I get a relatively new Samsung with an icemaker issue.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

So I confronted the beast today.... It was gonna be him or me.... I stared it down, waiting to engage. Then it blinked, backed down, chickened out. Problem was only the water filter or more specifically the water filter assembly. After I replaced the housing, I stared once again at this Dalek, this menacing high tech futuristic beastie. It beeped and whirred in protest. Yet knowing I have a powerful group of techs, neo-techs, geeks and some guy named Bob collectively known as Appliantology behind me, I commanded "SILENCE!" And as I departed, I quietly yet confidently warned..... "and don't make me have to come back." THE END

Roll credits...
Durham....... as himself
Samsung Rf4287... as the beast, the dalek
Supporting cast....... The Brethren of Appliantology 
Special thanks to Ohm the Omnipotent

#9 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,917 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Your hilarious Durham!!!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Guess what...the sumbitch challenged me again....I guess this thing must freeze the filter housing or something ...damn damn damn

#11 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,917 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Samsungs are tough. I am strugling with them. I feel like I have a handle on them and then I get one that really stumps me.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

well they certainly aint for the weak of heart

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

I too have battled this beast in it's many forms (models) since it's inception.  It tasks me.  It tasks me and I shall have it.  I'll chase it 'round the moons of Nebula and through the Antares Malestrom and around Perdition's Flame before I give it up! 

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

and if one even comes close to taking you down.....

"By Grapthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged! "

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

this time the beast must have employed some kind of mind control. That's the only way I can explain why the customer set the ff temp to 34 degrees.

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

The Saga Continues:....

Last time I went out to the house, the customer complained that since my initial repair the fridge was making a loud noise  when the water valve was engaged. As previously stated, I attributed it to water filter freezing since the customer had the fridge set to 34 degrees. I increased the temp, but I did not hear any rattling sound.

The other day got a call from the customer again complaining of excessive noise whenever water was dispensed or icemaker filled with water. Damn, this beastie keeps returning like some Hi tech Jason minus the goalie mask. Okay... maybe I didn't secure the water lines in the back of the fridge but as soon as I pressed the dispenser, I quickly took cover as it sounded like the beastie got a hold of a Halo pulse rifle and sent several plasma burst my way. The hammering sound was incredible. I know it did not sound like this when I finished the repair a few weeks back. I thought maybe air was entering the system so I removed and re-tightened all connections but the beastie continued to fire at me.

THE BATTLEPLAN

Never to shy away from a fight, I figured I had to reengage and access the filter assembly to check the john guest fittings. Now If you have not had the pleasure of changing a filter housing on this type Samsung, call yourself blessed. There are 4 water lines running into the cassette where the housing is located....you have to remove the lines from their connections to the house and water valves, including the many restraining clamps. Not so bad you think? Not until you realize that line to the dispenser ran through the top of the machine near the left hinge. You have to remove a plate that runs across the entire top of the fridge. But before you can do that, you have to take off the hinge coverings on both hinges to get access to the screws. Once you have access you have to remove the line from the JG connection on top of the fridge and pull it through the fridge. Then you gotta remove all the food in the ff section..just to get at the cassette, remove the filter then the screws and disconnect the cassette's light connector, pull the cassette out...then remove screws from the cassette then pry the cassette open and voila...the filter housing and a small reservoir tank. Then reassembly.

THE SECRET REVEALED

Now I wasn't looking forward to doing this again. I'd rather try and drop a bomb down the anus of a fully operational Deathstar. But with my battle plan in hand, "once more into the breach" I shouted. However, just before my charge (one that would certainly have made Alfred Lord Tennyson proud), the customer said "I noticed that it doesn't make that sound when I run the water in the sink at the same time.

@$#^@! high water pressure! That was the beastie's secret weapon. I didn't check it before as this was not why I was called out in the first place. The noise was a new phenomena and the only added element was replacing the filter housing. Anyway, I removed the line to the fridge, place it in a bucket and turned the water on. That line shot out of that bucket like a bottle rocket. I hadn't seen so much water pressure since I last washed my truck at "Powershine." Then I remembered. The first time I accessed the water valve, I asked the customer if he had already turned the water off...he said "no." I asked him  that question since it looked as if  the valve was already closed...it wasn't. I was just turned waaaayyyyy down.

EPILOUGE

The Previous owner or fridge installer must have minimized the valve  to reduce pressure. Unaware of this, I had maxed it open during my initial repair. It takes about 10 minutes for the pressure to build to its insane level so I did not hear the problem during testing of my initial repair. I turned the valve almost off and the water still gushed out of the dispenser..but no more pulse rifle...not even after ten minutes. I advised the customer to have water pressure checked and possibly reduced to prevent causing other appliance problems. Two freakin extra visits for nothing....i swear as I walked out the door I could hear the beastie snickering.

The end??

#17 MetalApplianceman

MetalApplianceman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Budweiser

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

iv had a couple of appliance monkeys put these in and forget to plug the door switch back in at the top, not the magnetic one but the one that you can physically press. that'll cause it as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics