Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dual/tri level electric top burners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

So how the hell do you test these things?

Specifically the temperature sensor thing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,045 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Are you talking about one of these...

#3 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yes one of those, do you ever need to test the limiter?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,045 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Easiest thing to do is test the coils for continuity as shown in the video.  If the coils have continuity and you're getting voltage to the element terminals, then the limiter is bad.  If the limiter is bad, you have to replace the whole element because the limiter is not a separately replaceable part.  

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

Since all of these smoothtop ranges and cooktops are a total pain in the ass to remove the top just to test the elements, I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS quote my customers for both the element and the infinite switch.  It's just way too much effort to open the top just to test the element and find out you need to order it. Then you replace the element and find out you also need to order the infinite switch.

Scott Wolf

#6 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Most of the time it takes two screws to lift the glass top enough to test for voltage to the element, got 220-240volts and no heat, you don't need the switch.

#7 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Most of the time it takes two screws to lift the glass top enough to test for voltage to the element, got 220-240volts and no heat, you don't need the switch.

Or to check the continuity of the element ribbons. If only one ribbon is out on the dual/tri element, it's most likely the element that is bad.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics