Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer with Loud Hum in Delicates Cycle

9 posts in this topic

Brethren,

A friend of mine sent me a video of their Whirlpool direct drive washer, model number WTW5200V02, making a loud hum in the Delicates cycle (and only that cycle) that starts off very loud and then gradually diminishes as the basket gets up to speed.  I haven't been out there yet to see it but here's the video he sent me.  

http://appliantology.org/gallery/image/697-whirlpool-direct-drive-washer-with-loud-hum-in-delicates-cycle/

What thinkest thou?  Bad motor winding for the delicates speed?  Anything else that could possibly cause this kind of noise?  He lives way over in Vermont so when I go out, I want to have the universe of bad parts with me so I can get it fixed in one trip.  

Domo for any insight and advice!  

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

i'd say motor or timer  bad , probably timer could be stuck contact

probably timer could be stuck contact

Keeping two windings powered at the same time?

I would guess Motor too

Whirlpool used to have this problem back in the belt drive days with the 3 speed motors , the extra slow speed would do this until the windings got hot and then the noise would go away

Domo for that info, Brother Bob, I was not aware of that historical malfunction.  Makes sense, too, because the noise goes away after a 30 seconds or so.  

WTW5200V02

maybe

WTW5200VQ2 :whistling:

http://appliantology.org/files/file/745-whirlpool-wtw5200v-wiring-sheets/

a few notes:

I may be wrong,

That model uses a (1) speed Motor

Replacement is a (2) speed Motor, but only (1) speed is wired.

Delicate uses an "intermittent" Agitate.

Timer Chart shows HI Motor #5 and LO Motor #6, but 5&6 are tied together ..

Timer Chart # 48 is also tied to 5&6

# 13 and # 13A can also power the Motor..

I don't yet know the answer ...

(don't use Delicate) :whistling:

maybe

WTW5200VQ2 :whistling:

Could be and probably is-- he emailed the model number to me and I saw that it wasn't complete.  Thanks for filling the blanks and for posting the tech sheet!  

In delicate cycle, the first spin after wash is through timer contact 48 and final spin after rinse is through contact 6. Same as perm press cycle. Could be worn cam in timer. Timer contacts 13 and 13A are not for powering the motor, they are for powering water valves for spray during spin/spray.

Eric

Great info!  Domo, Eric!   :thumbsup:

I'll update this topic after I go out there sometime next week.