Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Recommended Laundry Detergents 2013?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThePadre

ThePadre

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

I know I've not been around to soak up the rays of wisdom from the stars here at Appliantology of late. However, a recent discussion with someone interested in laundry detergent/soap that works in cold water soon devolved into "I want a more natural, less chemical clean" chat.

Having a small herd of people making dirty laundry around here, I'm highly interested in a detergent that "just works." To that end, we've discovered that powdered Tide HE works pretty well in my house. (The liquid leads to stinky front loader problems that have been solved by using the powder at a rate of about 2 Tbsp -- much lower than the amount recommended on the box -- for a typical full load in my LG front loader.) I've also had good experience with the Sears Ultra Plus HE.

I'm doubtful that any of the mere "washing soaps" that lack enzymes and a detergent's better cleaning in hard water would ever keep up with a modern laundry detergent, especially since being "natural products" means they'll cost more for the privilege. But I could be wrong.

So, my dearest appliance professionals, what are your recommended favorite detergents (HE and not) and why?

Basil

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

My two cents: Have to agree with the Samurai--#1 Woolite Complete/ #2 for sensitive customers and ecologically friendly--Ecover Zero. Both seem to satisfy the customers, give a good clean, and don't mess up the machines. #3 Tide with Bleach, yet many of our customers complain the scent is a little strong.   

#3 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Seventh Generation for laundry and dishwasher.

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Seventh Generation for laundry and dishwasher.

Sorry, but the environmentally safe dishwasher detergents do a horrible job of getting the dishes clean with the hard water we have where I live.

Scott Wolf

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

I understand the hard water problems in some areas. People in my area who live outside the city limits and have hard water ask me for a solution to their dishwasher problems. I give them Lemi-Shine rinse aid and the problem is solved. http://www.lemishine.com/our-story# There is also a Lemi-Shine to add to the detergent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics