Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

deezus

Samsung Refrigerator Mod#RF217ACBP/XAA ice build up

8 posts in this topic

This unit has water build up on bottom of refrigerator area as well as frost build up on back wall of freezer area. Im thinking this is a board and maybe the defrost sensors in the freezer and refer area. I fit was just refer part with water leaking I would steam it out and clear drain line but when both araes have these issues and it has the twin cooling im sure you need to replace the board right? Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

test the sensors first. You could have a bad sensor in freezer and a clogged defrost drain in the fridge.

2 people like this

I had a sxs doing that, sensors tested fine, but the freezer was -20. Replaced the main board. Still didn't fix it. Next visit I found the defrost sensor out of range. Next visit just changed the freezer temp sensor even though it read correctly. That fixed the deep freezing issue and drains frozen. Just an fyi the pcb I put on was rebuilt because Sears forced me to use it :( 3 weeks later I was back out for a defrost issue this time. Every thing tested fine ordered a new board this time but I didn't get the call back. I wish you the best of luck. Those things can go easy or really give you a headache.

Testing definitely means testing with ice water. Do not rely on board diagnostics if it says all sensors are fine

1 person likes this

I don't rely on the board. I take vdc readings at the board and compare to inside temps on chart.

3 people like this

test the sensors first. You could have a bad sensor in freezer and a clogged defrost drain in the fridge.

I had brand new sensors and tested them against the old at room temp they were the same ohms. I did see some kind of sensor or electrical device behind the evap that had red wires going to it and wasn't sure what it was?

Edited by deezus

I replaced the board and the freezer sensor. I tested a new sensor and it read the same as the old sensor at room temps though.

Usually found problem with defrost sensor on ref evaporator (yellow wires).  Makes sure air passages in styrofoam duct cover are clear and upper evap fan is working.  Hopefully ref evap defrost heater is ok (some models you have to replace ref evaporator with the heater).  Those blocked ref section defrost drains have been a pain.

1 person likes this