Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

ReliableApp

Maytag washer MAVT23AWW belt burning up

7 posts in this topic

I've replaced many belts on these single belt units However I'm wondering what the best way to diagnose this good ole washer for possible underlying symptoms?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check motor pulley for signs of wear. This motor slides on a plate to provide belt tension. Make sure slide foot is not worn and lube plate where the plastic parts come into contact. Check dive pulley, with belt off spin in both directions, ensure cam is releasing brake. Check pump for noise and resistance. I think your model is missing a number

1 person likes this

Check between tub and outer basket for clothing, That is where all the socks disappear to!

1 person likes this

Thanks very much for the replies and tips! It's back in action.

So what did you find was wrong?

Everything checked out between the motor pulley, trans pulley, no clothes between the tubs. New belt installed no complaints yet.

1 person likes this

If the belt is 'burning up' I would think there is something causing it, unless the machine has over 100,000 miles on it & is plumb wore out.  With that I would be looking for other wore out parts like snubber ring & thrust bearing.