Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Refrigerator Fan with Thermistor

GE refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Had the joy of installing an evaporator fan in a GE model PSS26SGPASS Profile the other day.  What a PITA!  And to make it even more of a Charlie Foxtrot, the part number called out on the tech sheet, WR60X10043, crossed over to the WR60X10185 fan motor at RepairClinic's site, which is the fan without the thermistor-- won't work in this model.  Instead, you need the WR60X10074 fan with the thermistor in the harness.  (AppliancePartsPros and Marcone both crossed WR60X10043 over to the wrong fan, too, so it's a database error from GE).  

Moral of the story:  You need to get a visual on the evap fan in these older units to know for sure which fan you need.  Go ahead and bring both on your truck.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

We used to only carry the 10185 which sucked because we would have the splice the harness. It's fun when you have a bad splice :) They just added 10074 to our truck stock not to long ago.

#3 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

I have developed such a healthy hatred of these effn GE electronic fridges, particularly the PSC* dual evap VCC bastards , I have a hard time professionally, not showing my utter distain on my face and attitude while working on them.
the newer french door lg built is already proving to be a POS as well...and now i have to pay for out of warr support....just like wp...
so not only do i tolerate 15+ min hold times...i pay for the priviledge....grrrrrr...

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 23 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,009 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

It got to the point where I just kept the old connector and thermistor and spliced in the fan. Getting to the fan is fun at its best aint it?
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

I don't like adding that many splices, especially inside the freezer.  That's a tough environment for electrical stuff.  

Another odd thing on this one, when I was checking the voltage drop across the thermistors at the muthaboard, the voltage was all over the place for all the thermistors, not a steady 3.76 vdc, for example.  So I knew the 5 vdc power supply on the board was borked.  Replaced the mobo and the evap fan on this one because, in a 10 year old box, I didn't want to take the chance that the fan would take out the new mobo.  

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

I agree. I would definitely use the proper fan motor, but I could never find the one with the thermistor in it. Now thanks to you, I know which one to get.  Re: mobo...I wonder if the meter load shunt device suggested by fixyourboard would have ferreted that out? I've made one but haven't used it but once or twice.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#7 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Marcone under the notes tab says to use th 74 if you need the thermister in the harness. Purchased a molex pin removal tool at radio shack to pop out the old harness and install in the 185 motor.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

RC has a similar note at their site but the whole point is that you don't actually know which fan you need until you have the freezer torn apart and have eyeballs on it.  This is because of the incorrect part number substitution called out in GE's own database.  Even the parts breakdown diagram doesn't show it.  Only eyeballs show it.  

Nice thought on the molex pin removal but, unless you're able to remove the wire harness at the fan motor itself, this doesn't gain you anything.  You still have that molded plug that fits into the slot in the shelf to cut through without damaging the wires.  By the time I do all that, I'd rather just install the WR60X10074 and be done with it.  Especially after tearing apart one of those freezers!  

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

In February I had three of those freezer tear downs in one day. All of them needed the fan/therm combo. I was one splicing sob that day. Now I gonna keep at least one 10074 from now on.

#10 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Ok samurai,i missed your point about not knowing correct fan BEFORE going on call. Thought you would have run into this by now or are just mentioning it now, these are just about all i run into here (south riverside county,calif). Did always think it was a jacked up way to show the part.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

A while back, after a hard stressful day of accessing these pita fan motors, then replacing and splicing in the motor GE told us was the proper one, a customer recorded my meltdown. I don't remember much of it but here I am contemplating whether the GE engineer made a mistake or....

#12 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Great, now some body sez something........Psc25 mstass needs a board and evap motor....... parts list sez p/n wr60x10099 but use p/n wr60x10185 along with a note.." motor has to be cut and spliced during install....OR....... use p/n wr60x10074..........Includes wire harness and thermistor.......Ordered with out pulling the panel..Unit was operating  normally while on the service call but left a recorder, customer called  a month later and sez "Every thing  melted and refroze again"..............My motor  (wr60x10185 ) and board arrived yesterday.... :yucky: .......$ 70.00.......VS.....$105 for full packaged motor................P.S...............My parts place, Reliable was kind enough to inform me in the price listing , but price for first motor was quoted... :rolleyes:

Edited by certified tech group 51, 25 June 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#13 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I ran into a G.E side by side that the look up said the part number was a WR60x10185 and the motor in fridge said same thing but had a blue grommet too and build in the grommet was 2wires for the 120volts light socket. Then found the real replacement was a WR23x10467 that I stock know with the blue grommet and wires for the freezer light build into it and on the body of motor is part number WR60x10185. Don't know model number it was about a year ago. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

#14 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

Part number: AP3884303

Part number: AP3884303

#15 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

http://www.repaircli...er=GSHS5KGXCCSS

Another G.E evaporator fan motor to stock.Just how many can there be.

#16 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Yeah and on this refrigerator fan motor you need the right fan motor because how the freezer light gets it power from the back wall of freezer were the evap. motor plugs in.

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

http://www.repaircli...er=GSHS5KGXCCSS

Another G.E evaporator fan motor to stock.Just how many can there be.

okay so what is the difference between the wr60x10307 and the wr60x10074? The fridge I am working on calls for the wr60x10307. It is about $20 more than the wr60x10074.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Looks like the 10074 has slightly longer leads between the motor and the rubber stopper.  

It also has the "blue-label special" Panasonic motor lable whereas the 10307 has the low-brow green label.  That's worth a Jefferson right there!  

#19 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

This is what i don't understands when i work for G.E years ago they would say to us that if we can save a extra screw from being used in appliance that would save us a lot of money.They have all this fan motor and seem like they  re designing appliances left and right.Don,t that cause them to change there production line and re tool it and this goes for all the manufactures?Years ago most the stuff we work on was made about the same way for years.We know everything is base on the stock markert and shareholders. i just don't see the logic in it.What happens if there is a gold dot on it?

Edited by bigbuck, 29 September 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#20 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Praise be, I am not alone!  I've been aware of the existence of the WR60X10074 for only the past few months.  Since the GE ipl designated only the fan motor w/o sensor I was constantly cutting and splicing these motors in.  And I've got the pin removal tool (swag from Sub Zero) but it's a pain in the butt to use.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GE, refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics