Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Washer model LW8363L2 Serial R9508048606 leaking

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jeauxkewl

jeauxkewl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anything cold and paid for.... :-)

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

This old gal dumped a bunch of water in my laundry room this morning while washing a mattress pad. I pulled the cover off this afternoon and there's water standing in the top of the pump but everything else was just about dried up. Ran a quick cycle to make sure the hoses weren't split, found that when the tub is spinning with a considerable amount of water in it, it leaks below the tub where it is slung against the sides, so I think what has happened was the tub seal has gone bad and the heavy water-logged mattress pad exacerbated the situation and it leaks worse when loaded.

2 questions:

1. Does this sound right or am I way off base, and

2. How big a job is this to replace? I posted for a service manual in the appropriate forum and not sure how long it may take, if anyone even has one.

This unit is about 16 years old....

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hello, my dumpy friend. Back when I was with the elite Appliance Repair Corp of the Mujahideen during the invasion of the Soviet infidels, we engaged in hand-to-machine combat with many of these ornery beasts. Although the Appliance Repair Corp had a well-deserved reputation among both the Mujahideen and the Soviet pig-dogs for being fierce and fearless, this was the only machine that would make a seasoned appliance repair warrior soil his undergarments.

If you really are set on attempting this repair, you will need the hub and seal kit. You had also better enjoy spending hours on end in a dark, damp basement, breaking apart old parts fused together by years of corrosion while another glorious summer day gallops by outside, leaving you more pallid and one day closer to the bed pan.

Time and pain will be your companions in your journey to appliance repair Hell. And there is a better than even probability that this will be a one-way trip to that special Hell, too, since your hours of weeping and gnashing of teeth may not result in a successful repair.

How much time and pain? It would not be an exaggeration to say that it is off the scale on the our flatulent and tumescent host's world-famous SUDS-o-meter. I have heard that over in Ameedica, this is one of those jobs for which even seasoned and battle-hardened appliance techs pretend they have a bad phone connection when they get a call for this.

Farewell, my exacerbated friend. And may Allah, the compassionate and merciful, have mercy upon your infidel soul.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,829 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Amana washer

Big leak; needs hub and tub seal.

Grown men wet themselves.  

wetpants.jpg

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Did a Maytag with a leaking main tub seal.......... Nice and clean, older machine.............."Worth saving"  I sez to the lady..................... ..Slow and easy, I did ........About three hours worth of ' Labor of Love'.............I have wrestled a few of these and when she called a few days later, " It is leaking",  I knew the jig was up.............Refund her money, :woot: ...  refund money from a service tech. is like taking a fully loaded crack pipe  from a three day binged crackhead.......Ain't gonna happen...........With her needing a washer,  I delivered her a completely refurbished Whirlpool  Direct Drive washer with a  single speed motor, 4 'OFF' location  timer,    three level water switch,  four  water temp selector switch....... :thumbsup: ....... Happy as a clam , she is...........The moral of the story:.........Find a decent W/P direct drive on Craigslist, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity................ Do what I do........Strip it down, Repair any rust spots ( I use Hammerite black paint on frame and any good white paint on the wrapper  ).........New drain pump,   new drive coupler,   new lid switch,       new tub grommet.... new set of S.S. supply lines,   Check real close the drain lines, pump to rear of cabinet and the drain hose rear to stand pipe for cracks, worn spots..Replace as needed.....Last,  check the rear, self leveling legs mechanism, they should be rust free and move easily, up and down....... .......You will have invested a small chunk of change but  the end results will be a decent machine that should give you years of trouble free service.. :yes: .........

#5 jeauxkewl

jeauxkewl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Well, after Moostafa skeered me away, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a new pair of Maytags.... Vote's not in just yet.  I refused to pay a ton of change for a bunch of computer controlled crap that I read horror stories about on my favorite appliance forum, so I wound up with an agitatorless top loader and a new gas dryer to replace my 25+ year old one that still dried like a charm but the drum coating was worn off. Hope I don't live to regret the decision about the dryer... the washer, well, it was time. If for some reason I don't get a dozen or so years outta this one, I'll follow the lead here and refurb me an antique as you suggest. Thanks for all the helpful advice.. and the humor.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

... bought a new pair of Maytags.... Vote's not in just yet.

model numbers ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

From out of the gates of hell....This story would make Satan weep... Good luck my friend!!!!!!!!!

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I really don't care much for the agitator less top load Whirlpool and Maytag washers. In my honest opinion, they are junk compared to the Whirlpool family of direct drive (Design 2000) top load washers.

Scott Wolf

#9 jeauxkewl

jeauxkewl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

model numbers ?

MVWC360AW/MGDC300XW

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

MVWC360AW/MGDC300XW

a Dryer's a Dryer ...

lots of stories about the newer style Washers ..

Lid Switch, Transmission problems, etc ..

#11 jeauxkewl

jeauxkewl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

a Dryer's a Dryer ...

Lid Switch, Transmission problems, etc ..

Let's hope this one lasts for a while, although I didn't pay what I would consider an exorbitant amount for it ($495 + tax delivered including haul-away of the old one). Finally paused this one today to peek inside to see how much water it's using and I can't for the life of me figure out how anything's gonna get clean with that little amount of water and no agitator. Like I said, vote's not in yet. Lid switch would be a slam dunk. I'd be highly upset if this or any washer needed a transmission in anything under 10 years. The only washer components I've ever replaced have been a timer, pump, drive belt and (believe it or not) brake pads! This consumer wishes they made some things like they used to.

#12 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

Don't worry it won't need a transmission ever, it doesn't have one.

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Don't worry it won't need a transmission ever, it doesn't have one.

Gearcase W10469846

#14 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Gearcase W10469846

It's a stretch calling that a gear case since it don't have gears, agitate on these is accomplished by reversing directions of the motor

#15 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Doesn't have gears and just accomplishes agitate by reversing direction of motor????

Think again, ALMOST all top load washer reverse the motor to change between agitate and spin.

To make the agitator move back and forth is only accomplished with a set of gears.

These are very solid and reliable transmissions, I can't remember every seeing a bad SpeedQueen/Amana of this style with a bad transmission, (maybe one that had a leaking lower seal).

Here's the breakdown of what is inside the transmission:

28458557_0_0_0.gif

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,829 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Willie, JJ is referring to the gearcase in the Whirlpool VM washers, p/n W10469846, not the Speed Queen/Amana.

#17 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

OK, I see now, the original poster started off with the Amana and replaced it with a new Maytag VMW style.

Can't find any pictures of the W10469846 transmission but it should be just the standard VMW transmission and same principle applies although no parts are available to repair this transmission and we have already seen in this forum a few of these needing to be replaced already.

Here's a page that shows one of the 2 or 3 different VMW transmissions and has a drawing of the internal planetary gear system inside the VMW transmission.

http://verticalmodul...y/transmission/

W10473144 Long shaft model

http://www.repaircli...0473144/2312556

Transmission-W10473144-01469169.jpg

and W10324649 short shaft model

http://www.repaircli...0324649/1877233

Gearbox-W10324649-01470049.jpg

both costing around $225.00

Anyone know what is different about the W10469846, only cost $100

http://www.repaircli...0469846/2684162

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#18 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Nothing is different u payin for maytag name

#19 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Not in this case MarkMac, the one for the Maytag model# posted in this thread is half the cost, (only $100 compared to $225 for the other two).

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#20 jeauxkewl

jeauxkewl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

a Dryer's a Dryer ...

Lid Switch, Transmission problems, etc .

Well, in this case, the dryer is the first to bite the dust. Broken latch. 30 days. Really? Ol' Lonely must not be so lonely any more. Good news, they are sending someone tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics