Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sunlight Appliance

zdis15cssj GE Monogram under counter ICE MAKER not producing ice:

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone:

My client has this slide-in floor ice maker that was working fine before they went on vacation. They turned it off, left for 1 week, returned and turned it back on and it would not produce ice.

Work done in past: Compressor relay.

Compressor does run.

Water works, you can hear it circulating, but I was not able to diagnose it completely since the unit was off when I arrived. I turned it on and told them to leave it on and we would monitor the temperature inside to see if it drops to a proper temp tomorrow. We have a thermometer sitting in there now.

Question: Will this unit attempt to produce ice even if the temperature never reaches freezing?

Quesion 2: What do you guys know about this? What should I be looking for?

I'm putting in the tech manual request with Reg right now.

Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If the water is circulating, compressor and condensor fan are running, then you would check the cold plate to if ice is building up. What I have seen is small sealed system leaks can go on for years , but will leak out much faster once they shut the icemaker off. Sometimes you can check in the back behind the panel and see if the heat exchanger is seperating. If so it needs the evaporator assy.

3 people like this

Quick way to check evaporator:  With compressor running drain the water from the reservoir by removing bottom cap. Let run for a couple of minutes and check for slight frost on evaporator plate, touch top of plate with wet finger-should stick.  If not cold, turn unit off and listen for a hissing noise from evaporator.  Not cold and hissing-bad evap.  Would replace compressor as well for moisture contamination.

4 people like this

Good info PDuff. I forgot about draining the water and watching the cold plate for frost

This unit has a sealed system leak, you guys are right.

Sealed system leaks are the ONLY thing I don't do. I rarely come across them in appliance repairs, but when it happens the client gets upset when I don't fix it. I refer out. They're expecting a miracle man out of me. In regard to this particular unit, is a sealed system leak worth repairing? I've seen $800+ quotes out there to do it!

Depends on the unit and age.  Being this is a Monogram it may have a limited 5 year sealed system part warranty.  Labor charges could be between $250 and $350.  Compared to replacement units costing $1500, some customers will opt to repair even if not covered by warranty.  The Iceman Goeth!

1 person likes this

I went to my parts boy store today and he told me they are coming out with new aftermarket compressors for a very nice cheap price like 80 bucks compare to manufacture like embraco Panasonic Samsung and lg that charche from 200 bucks now you can do seal system for a desent price but I know  guys lots of tech don't like to do it just wanted to trow my 2 cents in