Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Stopping Burner Rattle on an Electric Coil Range

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThePadre

ThePadre

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

In a previous post, I inquired about the wisdom of going from a swanky, flat-top electric range (with more gizmos than a cockpit) to a coil-type electric range. Well, I did it some months back, and am generally happy with the switch.

The one thing I still don't like: I can't make the rattling of the burners go away. If someone weighing more than about 50 pounds walks by, the vibrations are enough to make the coils and drip pans rattle. It drives me nuts. I replaced the drip pans with ones that still had the little clip that grabs a foot under the coil, and that seemed to help for a while. But now the rattle has started again.

The range in question is a recent model Kenmore (made by Frigidaire), but this sort of issue doesn't seem model-specific.

Any ideas as to how to get rid of the rattling?

Basil

UPDATE: Kenmore model 790.94213405.  Three of the four drip pans are specific to the model, not aftermarket. They have the clips that hold one leg of the coil in place.

Edited by dbiberdorf, 25 April 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Remove the pans one at a time and try to isolate the problem. Is it the large burners that rattle? If so,  did you get the pans specific for your model? Speaking of model...you forgot to post your model  number.

One solution is to get a stove top cover to use when oven not in use  http://www.stovetopper.com/  and there are much cheaper ones available 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

UPDATE: Kenmore model 790.94213405. Three of the four drip pans are specific to the model, not aftermarket. They have the clips that hold one leg of the coil in place.

Are the burner receptacles tight? Although I have never experienced this issue before, i did read about stove toppers helping with burner rattling on ovens inside moving RV's . Is there a way to dampen the vibrations before they hit the oven?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

If you can, shore up the floor underneath the range, and the kitchen in general. If it rattles when someone walks by, I would concentrate on the floor rather than the range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics