Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dbiberdorf

Stopping Burner Rattle on an Electric Coil Range

4 posts in this topic

In a previous post, I inquired about the wisdom of going from a swanky, flat-top electric range (with more gizmos than a cockpit) to a coil-type electric range. Well, I did it some months back, and am generally happy with the switch.

The one thing I still don't like: I can't make the rattling of the burners go away. If someone weighing more than about 50 pounds walks by, the vibrations are enough to make the coils and drip pans rattle. It drives me nuts. I replaced the drip pans with ones that still had the little clip that grabs a foot under the coil, and that seemed to help for a while. But now the rattle has started again.

The range in question is a recent model Kenmore (made by Frigidaire), but this sort of issue doesn't seem model-specific.

Any ideas as to how to get rid of the rattling?

Basil

UPDATE: Kenmore model 790.94213405.  Three of the four drip pans are specific to the model, not aftermarket. They have the clips that hold one leg of the coil in place.

Edited by dbiberdorf

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Remove the pans one at a time and try to isolate the problem. Is it the large burners that rattle? If so,  did you get the pans specific for your model? Speaking of model...you forgot to post your model  number.

One solution is to get a stove top cover to use when oven not in use  http://www.stovetopper.com/  and there are much cheaper ones available 

UPDATE: Kenmore model 790.94213405. Three of the four drip pans are specific to the model, not aftermarket. They have the clips that hold one leg of the coil in place.

Are the burner receptacles tight? Although I have never experienced this issue before, i did read about stove toppers helping with burner rattling on ovens inside moving RV's . Is there a way to dampen the vibrations before they hit the oven?

If you can, shore up the floor underneath the range, and the kitchen in general. If it rattles when someone walks by, I would concentrate on the floor rather than the range.