Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Ref PDS22SCRBRSS No control board operation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 elmonducky

elmonducky

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cabernet Sauvignon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Control board dead, no indicator lites no compressor or fan operation.  Interior lites work.  Replaced Main, still nothing.  I'm assuming control board, anything else that could cause this??

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

More than likely you need the control interface  part no. WR55X10340

If you do a lot of GE fridge repairs, you may benefit by getting a diagnostic aid shown in the following video. It is, in essence, nothing but a control panel that you can use and will bypass the one in your fridge,  whether it is a similar panel, knobs or lcd screen control found at the dispenser. With such a panel, if you connect it and everything works, then you will be certain you have a bad control panel.  

btw, the part numbers needed for the aid have been changed. Instead of the three parts mentioned in the video, you need two WR55X10390 (interface and touch panel kit) and WX05X14999 ( wire harness). I got one a few weeks ago and it paid for itself in a few days.

ps you  can make one of these by removing a 5  key control interface from an otherwise dead GE and then purchase the harness.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sometimes a shorted fan motor can give you that same scenario. You can try unplugging j2 fan connector and see if the compressor comes on. If it does then you need to just determine which motor is shorted. I've only this happen to me once and it was the evap motor.

#4 elmonducky

elmonducky

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cabernet Sauvignon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Interesting, why would a shorted fan motor cause the control board to become unresponsive even to temp display??

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Assuming this is a fridge that is using wr55x10942 main board. I couldn't bring that model number up to see.

No idea. That is the exact same thing I thought when tech support said to try that, but they were right.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Interesting, why would a shorted fan motor cause the control board to become unresponsive even to temp display??

it could interfere with the communication between the board and the interface. And remember, a shorted fan motor will destroy a mainboard. Double check your connections

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Elmon, the model number you gave in the title is for a dishwasher, which would explain why the compressor isn't running.  

Unless the real model number is PSs22SCRBRSS?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

btw, the part numbers needed for the aid have been changed. Instead of the three parts mentioned in the video, you need two WR55X10390 (interface and touch panel kit) and WX05X14999 ( wire harness). I got one a few weeks ago and it paid for itself in a few days.

You got me thinking about gittin' one of these rigs, Brother Durham.  What I'm wondering is what advantage does it have over just going right the muthaboard and making voltage measurements in the AC, 12 vdc and 5 vdc systems?  

One other question: does that harness connect to the J4 connector on the muthaboard?  

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

... PSD22SCRBRSS

maybe

PDS22SCRBRSS:blink:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

maybe

PDS22SCRBRSS:blink:

Even better and more likely.  Good call, Reg.  I'll go ahead and edit the model number in the topic.  

UPDATE:  Topic title model number edited.  

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

You got me thinking about gittin' one of these rigs, Brother Durham.  What I'm wondering is what advantage does it have over just going right the muthaboard and making voltage measurements in the AC, 12 vdc and 5 vdc systems?  

One other question: does that harness connect to the J4 connector on the muthaboard?  

here is an excerpt from the manual for "the bastard" fridge I'm working on....The diagnostic aid kit may assist the technician to functionally test individual components.

A diagnostic aid kit can be assembled and consists of a key pad temperature control assembly and wire
harness. The parts required are WR55X10390 and WX05X14999.
Using the kit, diagnostics can be performed by removing the base grill and plugging into the diagnostic aid
wire harness located on the left side. Diagnostics can also be performed by accessing the main board on the
back of the refrigerator and plugging into the harness extended from the board.
Note: After plugging in the diagnostic aid kit, if the display is blank, press and release any of the temperature
pads. The display will show actual temperatures

so you can plug it into that extra molex connector you find at the mainboard.  In front of the fridge the connector is either at the bottom or at the top under a hinge plate.   
It is a good device if you work on a lot of GE's. Especially encoder models, lcd models or 4 key models, where you there is no or limited diagnostic mode. You can turn on fans, damper, check temps, etc and on the bastard (fridge with lcd panel and weak diagnostic mode) I was able to set the temp for the custom cool when unable to set it from the fridge (or maybe I just didn't know how)

If you work on many GE's that already have that style interface, it would not be needed except to check to see if the fridges interface is bad. Testing thermistors at the board is always the best but putting the fridge in defrost mode without having to pull out the fridge comes in real handy.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Awwite, budrow, based on your testimonial alone, I purchased the control interface and wiring harness from RepairClinic.  The wiring harness is out of stock 'till early May but they only charge shipping once.  Total with shipping: $131.  

Now I'm looking forward to booking some GE fridge jobs so I can play with my new toy.  I think I may even sense a new video in the making!  

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

i now own a ge test fridge (2 lines of evap won't freeze) toy which I play with all the time. Better than a GI Joe with kung fu grip.

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

I misspoke earlier....on some models you have to use the j4 connector for many bottom mounts and other fridges that already have electronic controls.  Using the J4 in essence disconnects the existing temp controller.  I found that out in the following manual....the bestest most usefulest,gosh darnedest GE manual I;ve seen in a while....it shows Diagnostic testing procedures for most of their refrigerators and useful  with or without the diagnostic aid.....I looked to see if it was in our library ...It must be as once again it is the bestest most usefulest gosh darnedest...well you get the picture...check it out and if not in the library, we gotta put it there.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 20 May 2013 - 09:48 AM.
Moved attachment to Downloads section

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Nice one!  Added it to the Downloads section here:   

http://appliantology...ultiple-models/

#16 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

I got one of those G.E. test boards and harness over a year ago and I still not had the chance to use it.. :sweat: .......I just checked the Service Kit part number I have and it is part number  WR49X10095 with harness p/n  WX05X14999.................Howist my toys are not the same as yurins???????  I got the part numbers from this site...............WR49X10095 has a  control panel plus a main board.............The harness has instructions to install at the door hinge........Did I get jiped or what??????? :dry: .........................P.S..............Duh, :bangin: .... just started  to view the video, P/N WR49x10095 is a replacement P/N for P/N WR55X 10068...... :banana: ..........

Edited by certified tech group 51, 20 May 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

The instructions that come with the aid refer to the manual listed above. It gives more info regarding where to connect the kit. Some have ports behind the kick plate and others at the hinge and some, althoigh they have a front port require connection at the j4 pin.

Just last week, I had 2 encoder models and one 4 button display GE's that had defrost failure. with the aid, I didn't have to pull out the fridge. All had heater failures. I replaced evap thermistors, and heater. Tested with the aid, watched the heater come on and called it a day. I guess I should have replaced limits while there. may have to go back to the last one, bad heater, replaced it and thermistor. I did a thermistor check with the aid and thermistor 5 failed. I thought that was the evap thermistor but instructions say thermistor 5 is freezer thermistor and thermistor 4 is evap. Didn't do a thermistor test after replacing thermistor (silly rabbit) only a defrost test. Sort of strange thermistor order for testing. I guess the software department and the engineering department didn't talk much.. or maybe the tech sheet writer and the engineering department didn't talk much.

As the video suggests, thermistor tests are best done at the board as the aid only tests for shorts not for out of spec thermistors. But, If the issue is defrost failure and I find and replace a bad heater as well as change evap thermistor, I don't usually test other thermistors anyway. With the aid, I will test for short and then pack up.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Diagnostic Test Kit for GE Refrigerators

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 26 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Brother Durham explains the diagnostic test kit available for GE refrigerators:

To learn more about your refrigerator or to buy parts, click here .  

Source: GE Ref PDS22SCRBRSS No control board operation

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics