Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Spare Tools

Spair tools Extra tools

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

1) What tools, meters, specialty tools, etc.  do you carry with you in your vehicles & why these in particular?

2) Have you had need of a spare more than once in a short time?

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

I keep many spare meters, spare crimpers, sh*t load of spare flashlights.. And spare non contacted voltage checker is always great to have as well...  and I am about to get another steamer to have as a spare. I burn through those things fast and hate for it to happen in the midst of a job.  But with the extra steamer I'm also working on and developing a style that may rival the legendary Buddha's Palm and the deadly Drunken Monkey fighting styles.....I call it the "two-handed steamer defrost technique."  Scroll and video to be available as soon as I've mastered it.

Although it may seem a simple suggestion, we tend to forget but always keep loads of spare batteries...aa aaa 9 volts and any watch style battery your tools may need.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have 1 analog & 3 digital meters, 2 small shop vacs, 1 wet & 1 dry, lots of flashlights, 2 that are tripodal & run on 3 to 9 AA batteries.  Plenty of assorted 1.5v batteries, 9 volt battery,  did not think about watch batteries.  Have extra fuses for analog  meter, Always busting fuse, forget to switch from ohms to Vac.  Maybe ought to get another steamer, only because hate to be in middle of meltdown & it quit working.    I use only distilled water so I have a extra gallon of it.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for reminding me.. I forgot I  should use distilled water in my steamer. But if you take them apart, at least the  Euroshark, you will find a little control board inside the water compartment and it is wrapped in a plastic bag.  I guess that's some cheesy form of waterproofing. Therefore it is important to remove water after finish using it as well as not fill it past the line.  The last one I bought was from Macy's, it went bad in less than 2 months. They have a no questions asked return policy  so i returned it and the new one is on order. I couldn't wait for the new one so I got a refurbished one from amazon for $35 which came in two days. Works great....hence I will have two by  this week. Being ambidextrous, I plan on using both at the same time for extreme frost ups and for speed.

btw The salesman at Macy's told me I should replace the steamer on day 364 and get a free new one under their 1 year warranty policy. I told him I am using it commercially and would probably not be covered. He said it doesn't matter. I will take him up on it but something tells me my conscience will get the best of me.

Which shop vacs do you use? I need to get a smaller portable one.

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

This is the steamer I use, same as samurai.  http://www.amazon.co...nd held steamer

Shopvacs are smallest  ones they make. I got them at Lowes, 2 gallon size, about $30, I have seen them at Walmart & Home Depot also.

I am looking to get a fluke meter, to add to my aresonal.  Which would you recommend, 116 or 87?

Edited by Patricio, 28 April 2013 - 06:07 PM.

IgonFishn

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

I use the 116 fluke and the fieldpiece sc77 clamp meter.  The fluke 87 is a great meter but I aint there yet with regards to my electronics knowledge to take advantage of what it has to offer.  I find myself using the 116 and a killowatt meter the majority of the time. If budget allows, I would imagine the 87 is the way to go.

I will be posting a video shortly as to why I like the euroshark steamer

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Being a former Boy Scout I take the motto seriously.  Backup meters, analog and digital.  Spare flashlights and batteries.  Cordless drills and batteries.  Large toolbox with mini and large hacksaws and blades and duplicate handtools.  Milkcrate full of adhesives, lubricants, caulk, tapes of all kinds, putty and weatherstrip.  Cans and boxes of "floor sweepings", screws/clips/brackets/springs/fittings/connectors etc.  Another milkcrate with all things automotive, oil, transmission/brake/power steering fluid, and several cans of FixaFlat.  Even carry roll of toilet paper for "emergencies".  Also pack a cooler full of small packs of crackers and cookies as well as a jug of water in case I drive into a ditch and trapped for several days.

"It's not paranoia if they're really after you".

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

lol roll of toilet paper.....Empty 64oz gatorade bottle comes in really handy as well. 

#9 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Even carry roll of toilet paper for "emergencies". 

over 20 years on the road

when i sit down to take a dump the first thing i do is make sure there is toilet paper

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

small package of baby wipes

for personal use and whatever ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Baby wipes are worth their weight in gold!  Also good to have something similar with antibactrial for those homes that resemble pig styes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics