Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Can you identify this L.G. refrigerator part?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZoneIII

ZoneIII

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

We just bought a new LG LTC24380ST single door refrigerator with an ice maker.  It was delivered yesterday.  When I pulled the refrigerator out to hook up the water supply to the ice maker tonight, I  found this part on the floor.  I suppose it's possible that it came off our old refrigerator but that is extremely doubtful because the part is pristine and looks like it has never been used. Also, I had pulled out our old refrigerator to clean the floor before delivery of the new one and there was nothing on the floor then.  The little black pulley on the part winds up and, when released, it spins back while a little white nylon cam or post on the opposite side rotates in a planetary fashion.  I  would greatly appreciate it if someone can tell me what this is.  Unlike in the past, the owner's manual does not have parts diagrams.  I don't know if the ice maker is working yet because I just turned it on.  However, I  didn't touch anything or open any panels when I hooked up the water supply. 

RefrigeratorPart2.jpg

Refrigeratorpart3.jpg

Refrigeratorpart1.jpg

Edited by ZoneIII, 28 April 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

That doesn't look like any fridge part I have seen. Did they use a dolly or something to bring it in. Maybe it came off of that.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,770 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

plastic and not too durable looking.... if i had to guess, it is used to move something light.. maybe a curtain cam/ pulley .. dishwasher basket wheel maybe. Have any young'uns recently been crying because they broke a toy?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

It's a gigi.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 ZoneIII

ZoneIII

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

The dolly they used was just the regular two-wheeled manual type that wouldn't have a delicate part like this.

There were no children here so it's not a toy.   Also, when I pulled out the old refrigerator to clean the floor, there was nothing there at all so I know it appeared there when the delivery guys installed the refrigerator  It was laying under the refrigerator and to it's left side (looking from the front) when I pulled it out to install the water line.  Really weird!   I doubt if has anything to do with it but my ice maker still hasn't filled with water. The water is on and there is pressure in the line.  Maybe it just has to run through a couple cycles to purge air out of the line (?).  The freezer was at it's working temperature when I hooked up the line so it's not that the freezer isn't cold enough.  The ice maker switch is turned on too.   I'm guessing I will see ice by tomorrow.

The part seems to be some sort of little timer.  It winds up like a watch and then spins the little cam and pulley when released.  Maybe it just fell out of one of the delivery guys' pockets.  

This reminds me of an old trick my father pulled on me when I was a kid. I rebuilt my motorcycle engine completely and, when I was done, I found a bearing left on the workbench.   It drove me nuts!   Years later I found out that my father put it there as a joke.  It's an old trick but I hadn't heard of it at the time.   I wonder if the delivery guys have a sense of humor like my father's!  :-)

It's a gigi.

LOL!  That's it!  It's the inverse timer for the sequential gonculator circuit of the gigi!

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

if you really want to figure out what it is, just throw it away. You'll discover what it is just as soon as the garbage truck departs.

If all else fails, use the canine theory of comprehension. If you have a dog, just show it to him and he'll surmise it quite rapidly . Simply put, he'll think to himself the following :
"Well I can't eat it....... can't really play with it.... can't screw it.... therefore I understand it. " He'll then walk away having satisfied his curiosity while wondering why the"oh so smart" human is still trying to figure it out.

ps.. has nothing to do with an icemaker nor valve. It's best to wait 24 hrs to determine functionality of your icemaker.

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

The part pictured---is not from *any* LG appliance.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#8 ZoneIII

ZoneIII

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks guys!   Whatever it is, it's so pristine and clean that the delivery guys must have dropped it. It doesn't look like it was ever used.  It doesn't look like any part I've ever seen in a appliance but, not being familiar with N.G. stuff, I wanted to ask about it.

As for the ice maker, it's been about 12 hours since I hooked it up and turned on the water and still no ice.  No water has entered the cube trays.  I'll give it a little longer.  There are three little lights on the ice maker.  The middle one is on but the owner's manual says nothing about them.  If it doesn't start making ice by this afternoon, I'll unhook it at the refrigerator connector and see if water is making it that far.  Water did flow in the line when I turned it on but I don't know if it's making it to the frig without pulling it out again.

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Only thing that comes to mind is it looks and sounds like it might be a ice chute door closer delay.

I don't know LG so have no idea what they use to delay the closing of the ice chute door.

Get a glass of ice and keep an eye on the chute door when you pull the glass back and make sure the ice

chute door stays open for a second or two and doesn't just snap shut immediately on removing glass from

dispenser actuator.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

standard lg top freezer... no dispenser. That part is definitely too low tech to go in an Lg fridge. I also vote for it being something left behind by one of the movers.. They probably broke something during another installation and decided to get rid of the evidence.

#11 ZoneIII

ZoneIII

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm convinced it doesn't go with the refrigerator too. 

I did find out why the ice maker wasn't working. It's my fault.  When I hooked up the water line, I didn't see the cap on the inlet so, when I saw the water line attached to the back of the frig went into an opening in the bottom, I pulled it a little to see if it popped out for connection. It didn't.  Then I found the connection under the cap.  So today I pulled the frig out and took off the bottom panel.  Sure enough!  I pulled the line enough so it kinked the water line that came with the fridge at the connector.  The funny thing is that once I got that fixed, it's still not making ice but I'm going to give it some time.  I thought it would start filling up the ice slots immediately but it didn't.   I'll just give it some time and check later. 

Thanks for your help, everyone.  You confirmed what I suspected. I'm sure the installers dropped that. It probably fell from a shirt pocket or something when they were bending over plugging in the juice. In fact, it was near the wall outlet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics