Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

More hotter water, please!

Speed Queen Speed Queen washer water level rinse temperature

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:AD Haze, Iron Cruellar

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Purchased a Speed Queen washer Model # AWN542SP111TW01 stainless tub washer (love that SS) the near cousin of our AMANA washer (resting 10 feet away).  

Problem: #1.  Not enough water...you can manually override it, but who wants to washersit the machine when there's games to be played.  

Question:  How can I override the limit, hopefully without breaching the warranty?

Problem #2: The first and second rinse waters are COLD!!!  Did those government ecologists and do-gooders ever check to see which rinses better, cold or warm water?  I'll save them the time;  ANSWER - WARM WATER.  

Question:  So, how can I bypass the aforesaid cold fill for a more suds deterring warm fill on rinse #1 and rinse #2?  And if anyone is going to say that I should only be using cold water or nor rinsing twice, remember - global warming results when the highly concentrated expellings of hot air by vacuous politicians become too concentrated.

As always, your keen observations and wise wisdom are honourably received, greatly appreciated, dutifully followed.

Hibachi!

Mr. Lee Fix

Model # AWN542SP111TW01

Serial # 1208031015

PS  Some observations follow...

Understanding Engineers #1

Two engineering students were biking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"  The second engineer replied,  "Well, I was walking along yesterday, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, threw it to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."  The first engineer nodded approvingly and said, "Good choice:  The clothes probably wouldn't fit you anyway."

Understanding Engineers #2

To the optimist, the glass is half-full. To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.  To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Understanding Engineers #3

A priest, a doctor, and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with those guys?  We must have been waiting for fifteen minutes!"  The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such inept golf!"  The priest said, "Here comes the greens-keeper.  Let's have a word with him."  He said, "Hello George, What's wrong with that group ahead of us?  They're rather slow, aren't they?"  The greens-keeper replied, "Oh, yes.  That's a group of blind firemen.  They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime!."  The group fell silent for a moment.  The priest said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."  The doctor said, "Good idea.  I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist colleague and see if there's anything she can do for them."  The engineer said, "Why can't they play at night?"

Understanding Engineers #4

What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?

Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Civil engineers build targets

Understanding Engineers #5

The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"  The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"  The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"  The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Understanding Engineers #6

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing who must have designed the human body.  One said, "It was a mechanical engineer.  Just look at all the joints."  Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer.  The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections."  The last one said, "No, actually it had to have been a civil engineer.  Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"

Understanding Engineers #7

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Understanding Engineers #8

An engineer was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."  He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.  The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week."  The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.  The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want."  Again, the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.  Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter?  I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want.  Why won't you kiss me?"  The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer.  I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog - now that's cool."

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Problem #2 The first and second rinse waters are COLD!!!

2) you could maybe use a "mixture valve" on the Cold Water Inlet.
Any "cold" water entering the Washer would be a mixture of hot and cold.

2bb65e95-c33f-4c87-85f3-a026c7b3612b_300
OR
If I could find a wiring diagram,
may have more info

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

The switch plan would work well.  I only wish that I could adjust the existing switch...hmmm.  Maybe, it's not possible, though.

The valve, however would affect the primary fill of water into the machine, as well.  The wiring diagram would help there.  I downloaded the manual which should have the schematic.  Now, if only I could both find it, and understand it, victory would be close at hand.

Thank you.  I shall investigate and hope for some other ideas/solutions.

Mr. Lee Fix

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

... The valve, however would affect the primary fill of water into the machine 
... I downloaded the manual which should have the schematic

1) the new "Valve" would be on the Cold input

If "hot" was selected as initial fill, the "cold" Valve wouldn't be in use.

If "warm" was selected as initial Fill: you'd get "warmer"

If "cold" was selected as initial Fill: you'd get "warm"

If "real "cold" was needed, you could always turn "off" the Valve's little black "hot input" control.

2) if you could upload that manual "somewhere"

#5 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

This is why they pay you the big bucks.  I should have read your post while I was more awake, although I don't think it would have helped.

Yes, that is the way to go with the "mixture valve"....simple and functional.  I will find the download and then upload! 

I found them, but they are Sumo-Sized.

I will extract the pertinent data or upload the parts manual and troubleshooting manuals in their entirety if my son, or an appliantologist can assist me.

Mr. Lee Fix

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Unless they have changed the pressure switch design, you should be able to adjust the one you have. Here's a video on doing it and you can see that the tech sheet with wiring diagram is located inside the control panel. It would be appreciated if you could post a photo of the wiring diagram and timer chart.

Eric

#7 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thank you, as I was hoping I could adjust it!  I will post manuals and pictures, but unfortunately, not until later today.

Mr. Lee Fix

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have the parts manual and the troubleshooting manual,

but they don't show, nor reference a wiring diagram

#9 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

I gave it some more thought and the mixture valve probably would not work since the supply line is under constant supply pressure and is only regulated by the mixing valve in the machine.  When hot is selected , cold water will force its way over;  when warm is selected same results and when cold is selected, hot water will force its way over.  Agreed, to somewhat a lesser extent than if the machine's mixing valve was doing the only mixing/selection, but nonetheless, it would occur.  Also, two valves are needed:  One to split the cold, and one to accept it over at the hot line (or vice-verse).  Am I wrong in my analysis?

I will call Speed Queen tomorrow for the electric diagram as I would rather (reluctantly) make up jumpers or similar to achieve warm rinses.  Could this be set to only rinse warm on the regular cycle and not the gentle ones?  If not, I'll close the hot supply for the few times (relatively speaking) that we wash in the delicate cycles.

1) the new "Valve" would be on the Cold input

If "hot" was selected as initial fill, the "cold" Valve wouldn't be in use.

If "warm" was selected as initial Fill: you'd get "warmer"

If "cold" was selected as initial Fill: you'd get "warm"

If "real "cold" was needed, you could always turn "off" the Valve's little black "hot input" control.

Read more: http://appliantology.../#ixzz2SR0l9fvo 
Follow us: fixitnowsamurai on Facebook

#10 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

By the way, the video from fairbank56 was excellent!  Later today, I'll open up the machine and see if I can use this procedure and report accordingly.

Mr. Lee Fix

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

... is only regulated by the mixing valve in the machine.  When hot is selected , cold water will force its way over;

the only "mixing" Valve in the washer is (2) Valves that are either "open" or "closed"

when hot is selected, only the hot Valve will open.

when cold is selected, the (now warm mixture) will enter the machine.

I found a picture of the Water Level Switch now used on that model

(they've changed it over the years)

it seems to be the one in the video, and you should be able to adjust it.

#12 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yes, I understand the mixing valve in the machine, however if I use the "mixing valve", as you suggested, the incoming water will be a mixture of hot/cold (dictated somewhat by supply line pressure) so no matter what setting is used on the machine, a certain amount of hot or cold water will make its way over to the machine mixing vale regardless of the temperature of water selection chosen. Example:  HOT WASH is selected on the machine.  Hot mixing valve on machine opens and hot supply water flows to it, but so does a certain amount of COLD supply line water as the two are inter-connected.  The same scenario would apply to any other machine wash setting as well.

I don't think I'm missing anything here, but am I?  

The water level is more straight forward, but the temp is a bit of a pain...thank you EPA, government bureaucrats, etc., etc. 

Mr. Lee Fix

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

it looks like you're right..

I'll have to think of something else ..

#14 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

I was hoping you knew of something that I didn't (well, you most assuredly do), but I will get a schematic or sorts from Speed Queen and see what can be done.

Mr. Lee Fix

#15 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Did you already check inside the control panel for the wiring diagram?

Eric

#16 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

I will right now.  Back in 5.

#17 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

With 48 seconds to spare.....drum roll please..... The CONNECTION DIAGRAM/SCHEMATIC/TIMER CHART was found.  Thanks for the reminder to look inside the machine.  I will scan and download tonight as I hope someone is better at electrics than I am (that won't be too hard a task).  Victory, I trust, is close at hand!

Mr. Lee Fix

BTW, the chart is part # 202162

Thank you

#18 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

With help from Taylor San (#2 son), below is the Photo Bucket link to the CONNECTION DIAGRAM/SCHEMATIC/TIMER CHART. 

I couldn't paste the scan directly, so I used the old (photo) Bucket List!  Hope the diagram means something to someone.  I can read it, but I'm just not sure how to go about it.

http://s1268.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

Thanks,

Mr. Lee Fix

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 08 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.
Removed broken images.

#19 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Ok, need higher resolution photo of wiring diagram, hard to read the wire colors and timer terminal numbers but looks like:

Cut gray jumper between terminal 15 and 17 at timer connector. Connect gray wire from terminal 17 to blu/blk wire that runs from timer terminal 13 to L terminal on temp switch. Also cut gray wire from terminal 15 at timer connector and blu/pink wire from terminal 16 at timer and splice those wires together. Now rinse temp will be same as wash temp. In photo below, red lines show wire cuts, blue shows new connections.

Eric

WaterTempMod.jpg

Edited by fairbank56, 07 May 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#20 Mr. Lee Fix

Mr. Lee Fix

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

I apologize for the scan as it wasn't the clearest, nor able to be enlarged readily.  Do you need a better scan or are you confident in your assessment?  I'm not questioning your solution, only if whether or not you could read the diagram.  Your color quotes are correct (from the original).  I have read you comments, looked at your handiwork (nice!) and although your diagram for the cuts and splices is clear I'm not sure what it will actually look like.  I'm not stupid, but neither can I accurately read a wiring diagram that is this involved without a bit of doubt.  So, after Friday's surgery (to me by the honourable Samurai Surgeon San) I shall make this a Sunday project and hopefully won't burn too much time, just some water!  Thank you, Fairbank56, and RegUS_PatOff for your excellent analysis and solutions.  Once done, I will report.

Mr. Lee Fix

I leave you with a few insightful comments  (okay, there are 17 of them)

Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected; frequently humorous.   Winston Churchill loved them.

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

5. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

6. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

10. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency, Notify:' I put 'DOCTOR'.

11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

13. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..

14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.

17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Understanding Engineers

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 05 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

A priceless compendium of engineer jokes posted by Brother Lee Fix:

Source: More hotter water, please!

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics