Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung Fridge RF267ABPN Defrost Issue

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi guys - hoping you can help me out with what appears to be a common problem for the samsung french door fridges.

Water builds up under the cool pantry tray.  This is the third time it has happened.  There is so much water that we noticed it because it drips down to the floor.  Some of it even ices over.

What I have done every time up to this point is take all of the shelves out, remove the inside back panel that covers the evaporator/heater assembly. Then I use a hair dryer and warm water to melt the ice that has clogged the drain at the bottom of the evaporator/heater asembly.  After the drain is clear, I reassemble everything and hope it doesn't happen again but like I said this is the third time so I'm losing hope! It is usually a couple months before it freezes over again.

I've read about this issue all over the internet but I have not found a solution to the problem.  Seems like the heater is good or their would be ice build up on the evaporator and their wouldn't be any water.  Hoping you guys have the answer!

By the way, I ran a self diagnostic and just get a fully lit 88 88.  I assume that is telling me everything is good.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

George

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I would remove the acess panel at the rear of the fridge near the compressor and make sure that tube isn't clogged with dust or debris at the end. It should be a white tube with a black piece of rubber on the end. You may want to put a thermometer in there to see if it is running well below zero as well. I've seen them run down to -11 and -20 on another one.

#3 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

First off, thanks for the reply.  Just want to make sure I understand what you want me to do before I do it.

You want me to pull the fridge out of the cubby hole its in and remove the exterior panel on the fridge that covers the compressor area and check the white tube with the black rubber cap.  Is this where the drain that is on the inside below the evaporator/heater assembly empties into?

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yes it is. If something in the tube slows the flow down it will make it freeze. I have found a ball of dust just inside the rubber piece. You may have to pull the tube off because sometimes it has a black duck bill inside of the tube.

#5 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Great. I'll have to take care of that tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity if things are working properly and the water from the defrost goes down the drain and all the way through to the tube, how does it leave the tube?

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Great. I'll have to take care of that tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity if things are working properly and the water from the defrost goes down the drain and all the way through to the tube, how does it leave the tube?

Gravity?  There is usually a pan of some sort shape and size that the water drips into, and the heat produced from the compressor will evaporate what water is in the pan.  

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Might also check to blocked air passages inside the styrofoam f/f evaporator cover.  If blocked with ice you can clear it by running hot water into vents.  Might also replace f/f defrost sensor (yellow wires).  Should help prevent some callbacks on those nuisance Samsung drain problems.

#8 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

ok I went ahead and moved the fridge and took the back panel off.  There were two tubes in the back. I'm assuming one for the fridge and one for the freezer (?).  Pulled both out.  They are about 9 inches long.  The one on the right side (looking at the back) was a little wet and little dirty.  The one on the left was dry. Both tubes were debris free.

Attached File  fridge tubes.JPG   67.07KB   5 downloads

Should I go ahead and put a hair dryer to the frozen drain in the fridge and see if the water goes all the way down to the tray?

#9 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Having a hard time get the post right!

Edited by ncsu95, 04 May 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#10 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Ok I went ahead and used the hair dryer and hot water. This cleared the drain. I poured some water into the drain and it went down the tube and into the defrost tray at the bottom of the unit. By the way, the tube on the right is the one for the fridge.

I then ran a manual defrost and it defrosted properly so I am assuming the problem is the sensor. Looking at the manual I believe the sensor part # is DA32-00027B. Would someone please confirm that this is indeed the correct part # so I can go ahead and order it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

#11 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Anybody?

#12 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

According to repair clinic that is the humidity sensor.

#13 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yeah I noticed that but every other site calls it the defrost sensor.

Thanks for replying.

#14 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

They may be one and the same. You will have to find out the resistance tolerances and test it. Or you can test voltages drop across the sensor at the control board. You will need the service manual for that info..

#15 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:56 AM

The heat probes on the Samsung don't go deep enough into the drain tube to prevent them from icing over, you can modify whirlpool part#819043 to replace existing heat probe or use Samsung part# da61-06796a (or make your own) The defrost sensor (thermistor) failure usually causes incomplete defrost causing ice build up in evap cover and around fan. If your primary problem is leaking try the heat probe.

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

Here's the service manual for this model:  http://appliantology...service-manual/

Back on pg 87, there's a parts breakdown and listing for the freezer.  DA32-00027B is attached to the evaporator and is the evaporator thermistor.  Why RC calls it out as a humidity sensor, I don't know but I've seen then call parts strange things before.  

Here's the Whirlpool heat strap that Brother JJ mentioned:  http://www.repaircli...p/819043/726493

#17 ncsu95

ncsu95

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Went ahead and bought the whirlpool heat strap. That makes a lot I sense as to why the drain hole freezes over.

Thanks for all of the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics