Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag/Whirlpool Bottom Freezer Defrost Issue: JAZZ Board?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

I've heard about issues with the 'JAZZ' board. The evaporator was completely frosted over, so I defrosted it and tested the heater and got about 34 Ohms, so i figure its good. I have some questions about this model:

1. How do you get into the board? I assume the light lense comes off some how, don't want to start breaking tabs...
2. How does one get this unit into defrost mode?
3. If the heater checked OK. how does one determine that its the board vs a thermister, limit, otherwise?
4. If it is the JAZZ board, is would this be the correct part number? P/N 12784415
5. Does anyone have the service manual on this?
6. Thanks in advance![attachment=

7147:Maytag1.jpg]Attached File  Maytag2.jpg   40.16KB   6 downloadsAttached File  Maytag3.jpg   31.49KB   10 downloads

I forgot the Model# MBR1956KES2.

and Yes, I realize i'm a shatty speller: JAZZ VS JASS?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Here is how to test the defrost on the 'Jazz' board:

gallery_55589_30_28039.png

Put unit into defrost - if your heater comes on (assuming unit is frozen), you definitely have a Jazz board issue = replace board.  If heater does not come on - search for failure either in the board or in the heater circuit.  

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Here is the part for the Jazz board: http://www.repaircli...3?rcaid=1000067

med_gallery_55589_30_94837.jpg

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

It's real common for the relay on these boards to fail. When you turn if off, the compressor tends to stay on. To gain access to the board, it takes a little force, almost to the point you think it might break. But you shouldn't force it so much it breaks. :) good luck!

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

uh huh... Alex, you been caught skipping class. Check out Samurais video class room forum for the jazz board video.... and no, that note from that fake doctor aint gonna work.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

Just take a screwdriver and pry the light cover off where the display and cover meet. Then behind the display you will see a tab on each side inside of a slot. You will have to work it with a flatblade screwdriver. It can be a pain at first. I used a mirror for awhile, so I could see what I was doing.

Edited by BryanS, 04 May 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

#8 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I'm headed out to install the new board and i'm stressing about getting the light cover off. This customer will be right on top of me watching every move.  Should I use a putty knife and pry it toward the back of the fridge, or just use my hands, no tools?  Thanks for all the info!

#9 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

EDIT:  Sorry.  What I'm describing here is taking that whole upper housing down.  What Bryan is talking about is removing the display from the housing.  I remove the housing to change Jazz boards ... other guys just remove the display.  Either way works.

The light cover just slides back and comes off (it's the clear plastic part.)  The more difficult part is getting the housing down from the ceiling.  

- The easiest tabs to release are located on each side of the housing about 1/2 way between the front and the back.  Use a flatblade or a putty knife on each side and pry it down.  Those will pop out pretty easy.  That will release the middle part of the housing.

- Then there are 4 tabs across the front of the housing to pop out.  I use a combination of screwdriver and my fingers to pull the front of the housing straight down.  Do one side first and then the other side.  It takes a lot of pressure to get the tabs to pop out of the roof of the fridge ... you will be bending the housing down pretty far, but they will pop out.  

- Once the 4 are out from across the front, the whole housing hinges down from the back and comes right out.

It's one of WP's dumber designs but it does come down.  Good luck!

Edited by Strathy, 09 May 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Strathy, I'm not sure  I understand what you are saying. the part that swings down is called the Housing on searspartsdirect and control module.on repair clinic not the display. It's  no 4 on the diagram part no W10185244

I am not understanding what part you are calling the Housing...no 2 or are we talking Utah?

M0704065-00003.png

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Does everybody here know how to program the jazz board so that it defrosts the unit in fixed intervals instead of adaptive defrost?

It's easy.

When you have it in  service mode, go to test # 9 and you will see  "A" in the refrigerator display window. Toggle the refrigerator temperature up/down key until you see the letter "F".  Now you have programmed the board so the unit defrosts in fixed intervals rather than adaptive defrost.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 09 May 2013 - 07:18 PM.

Scott Wolf

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Pretty cool Scott. So would you give the customer the option to use intervals as opposed to a new board and use ADC?

Hell that's a whole lot easier than snipping resistors on some ADC boards to convert it.

#13 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

No, I don't give the customer the option. When I replace the board, I set all of them for fixed.  I  figure that way I won't be back for a defrost issue unless there is a problem with the defrost heater or the defrost thermostat.

Scott Wolf

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

but...but..the customer will not get all the benefits  of having.ADC like....uh....  then there's...uh....you see when the board determines.....ok...let's talk energy and saving money..you see.. with ADC you will save......uh.... Ya know what, it sounds like a helluva idea to me. 

#15 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yes, If I had it my way, I would go tell the EPA, Energy Star and the government to go to hell and leave the manufacturers alone already.  Tell President Obama to start saving  gas and ride his bike instead of using his limo and Air Force One.

Scott Wolf

#16 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Strathy, I'm not sure  I understand what you are saying. the part that swings down is called the Housing on searspartsdirect and control module.on repair clinic not the display. It's  no 4 on the diagram part no W10185244

I am not understanding what part you are calling the Housing...no 2 or are we talking Utah?

When I do Jazz boards I pull down number 2.  

gallery_55589_30_43232.png

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm gonna have to try that...do you have to work backwards inside the fridge to do it?

#18 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Nope. Everything from right in front. That's why I do it this way. My back can't handle the twisting like that. Gotta protect this aging body. Lol. Plus this way I don't have to pull the fridge out to unplug it either. Once the housing is down, just unplug the connector and change the Jazz board on the customer counter.

Edited by Strathy, 09 May 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Yes, If I had it my way, I would go tell the EPA, Energy Star and the government to go to hell and leave the manufacturers alone already.  Tell President Obama to start saving  gas and ride his bike instead of using his limo and Air Force One.

lol You don't think the manufactures aren't in on it as well?? They probably started the whole thing, just so they can put out sh$tty, short term appliances. Then when you got to replace one of them in a few years they can look at you with a straight face and say "don't look at me, we aint to blame...btw here's another more expensive less durable model you'll just love"   Follow the money. The government only benefits because the lackies that we elect are paid off...the manufacturers are making more profit than ever.  

#20 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Nope. Everything from right in front. That's why I do it this way. My back can't handle the twisting like that. Gotta protect this aging body. Lol. Plus this way I don't have to pull the fridge out to unplug it either. Once the housing is down, just unplug the connector and change the Jazz board on the customer counter.

See, that's why I love this site!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics