Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE fridge sxs Z series GSHL6KGZBCLS mainboard question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Went to this repair the other day...only mini manual to be found. . Anyway, complaint was a warm fridge. I replaced evap fan motor last december so I figured it had to be a thermistor or  bad board. Board showed no signs of being damaged by the bad fan motor. Tried to use my diagnostic aid on the fridge and it went haywire. Not sure if it is compatible with this series. Went to motherboard....got voltage going to evap fan.  So I had to tear down this sonuvabitch to get to the fan motor. Tested fan motor with 9v battery and it sprung to life. Reconnected fan motor and discovered the molex connector was causing problems. Cleaned it out a bit and everything is a-ok now.  

My question is this...the replacement board is the standard GE Board but the original one was quite different looking. All the standard connectors were there but one glaring exception...there was nothing connected to pin 5 on the j2 connector. In other words no wire leading from the j2 to the condenser fan motor. It made me question whether pin 4 was for the evap motor. There were two resistors under the connector so I would imagine something is there for the condenser fan motor. What gives? 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Here's the pin-out listing for the new-style muthaboard.  J2-5 is the DC output for the condenser fan.  J2-4 is the DC output for the evap fan.  And the new-style board is the one called out for this model.  

It looks like the condenser fan motor in this model is an AC motor so its power doesn't come from the DC side of the board.  So the J2-5 wire in the harness isn't needed.   

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

that's just plain weird

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Sho nuff!

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

No wonder the diagnostic aid went haywire.  I guess this is another "tweener" fridge. Also disassembly to get to the fan is slightly different from any other profile I've worked on. No wonder i was confused in an earlier post http://appliantology...manual-request/    If I have to go back, I will take copious notes and pictures and maybe we can create our own manual for this thing.

#6 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

EDIT: DOH! I wrote this before coffee and got my condenser and compressor crossed up. I check the compressor at the blue female connector, not the condenser. I will leave the original dumbass reply here as a warning to all about the dangers of posting comments while un-caffeinated...

I iz soooo confuse-id.

You sayz dat de condenser motor is AC on dis one and dat's supposd ta make it an oddball... but I been schtickin my meter leads on the wires comin out of the blue 3 wire connector for years and years and years and my meeter been tellin' me dere is AC dere for years and yeeers...

So ifs I been gittin AC for all dese yeers den why is dis one an oddball if it haz a condenser motor usin AC????

Or dids ya mean the evap fan motoro thingy?

Edited by Vets Appliance, 07 May 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

It's weird because It's a GE using a wr55x10942 main board. I have never seen a GE using this board that uses an AC condenser fan motor. Every single thing I've read an all the training I've had shows testing the condenser fan motor from the J2 connector. Every one I've tested in the past is from the j2 connector or direct at the motor..which is dc. If it is common for you, then a lot of these, what I call "tweener" GE's, have been sold in your area. It could also be that AC motors on those fridges are durable and I've never had to test them in the past.

#8 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

My above has been edited... I crossed up conderser and compressor. This is what I get for posting first, caffeinating second.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Man I got to caffeinate first thing in the morning otherwise I'd be one sad dude....btw just saw something on discovery channel that said if you want to live longer...caffeinate!  Of course, tomorrow they will show how it kills mice when introduced to 50lbs of caffeine in 60 seconds

#10 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

ROFLMDAO... we're showing our age man. I remember when the makers of Nutra-Sweet (sp?) paid for that study as a way to try to prevent Saccharine from building a customer base while Nutra-Sweet was still waiting for FDA approval.

The dirty tricks and propaganda stuff is another hobby of mine. The horror stories I could tell... lol

Edited by Vets Appliance, 07 May 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well I've learned to pick and choose which studies I gonna follow... lemme see... coffee is good for you study... chocolate is good for you study, beer and wine are good for you studies..... bacon is good for... uh... Well, i'm waiting for that one lol

#12 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

Bacon is good for you, it's called Atkin's Diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics