Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore/Amana Bottom Mount 596.65939401

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Beer side not cooling. Freezer is A-OK. I have the service manual downloaded from pot luck. (Amana Bottom-Mount Refrigerators Service Manual RS1200000)

This is intermittent. Customer couldn't recall how they cleared it up last time except for "doing something with the temp controls".

What's the most common problem?

Edited by jb8103, 05 May 2013 - 11:02 AM.

First, do no harm.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

You're probably going to find the evaporator coil in the freezer choked in with frost, in which case, the problem is almost always the infamous Jazz Control Board.  

There's a tech sheet in the toe grill that tells how to put the board in diagnostic mode for various tests.  But the most common failures with this board are 1) failing to initiate defrost and 2) keeping compressor running during defrost.  Both result in a frosted up evaporator coil.  

Put the unit into forced defrost.  If the defrost heater fires up, that means the defrost heater and limiter are good.  Then go ahead and replace the Jazz Board.  

Here's my video showing how to do the diagnostic dance:

#3 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

It is indeed a JAZZ PCB, Samurai.

But if the evap is frosted would not the freezer side be affected also?

First, do no harm.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Eventually, yes, and it may already be affected.  Temperature should be 0F in the freezer.  If the actual temp is 15F or more, then it's already affected.  You can't tell the difference between 0F and 15F by feel-- you have to measure it.  

Of course, the best thing to do is to get eyeballs on the evaporator coil.   :smokin:

#5 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Eyeballs it is. Back to the customer site.

Domo!

First, do no harm.

#6 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Freezer temp 17 degrees, thick frost coating the evap cover. We await resolution of a landlord/tenant dispute as to who pays the bill before proceeding.

I suspected the damper, but pending the forced-defrost test, looks like you nailed it. Huzzah!

Meanwhile the beer side has started cooling again. I informed the tenants a goofy board will misbehave like this, but sooner or later they will wake up to a flood of melted goodies and bins full of spoiled food. And who pays for that?

First, do no harm.

#7 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Oh joy... I'm being sarcastic.

First time I had to yank a Jazz board I ended up calling a buddy in Washington DC for advice because I couldn't figure out how to crack into that tuna can without breaking it into pieces. He walked me through it.

If you don't know how to get that cover off, call someone and have them walk you through it on the phone... seriously. It requires you to shove a screwdriver in there with about ten times the amount of force you'd think was necessary. If you do it in the right place, the cover comes off.

If you do it in the wrong place, things can get expensive and time consuming.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

Brother Strath has posted real purdy diagrams of two different techniques for accessing the jazz board in this topic:  http://appliantology...sue-jazz-board/

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics