Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RFG297AAWP exterior door ice/water disp disassembly

rust

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 puglvr

puglvr

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Does anyone know how to take the door dispenser apart so that I can do a repair job on the rust that is on the lip?  Since it doesn't have a frame, I didn't want to pry too hard at the unit floor until I knew.  Do I  have to remove the entire door assembly from the inside?  Bad enough a new frig with rust, but I'd like to make sure that if the rust continues under the lip that I can get to it to repair all of the rust.  The wonderful quality of today's new appliances. . . . Attached File  rust.jpg   17.27KB   23 downloadsAttached File  DSC02630edit.jpg   22.08KB   27 downloads

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,601 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

I wanted to respond just to show you are not being ignored. Nothing I have found suggests how to remove it. The Training manual I found doesn't refer to dispenser dis-assembly  Nether does the parts diagram show the trim as being separate from door as apparently it does not have to be removed to access the dispenser controls.. I can't tell if it is glued to the door or assembled from inside.  The trim does appear to be molded with the entire dispenser well. This is just from looking at your pictures and the notoriously deceptive Samsung diagrams.  Have to wait on someone experienced with this dispenser to give an authoritative answer. 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Looks like we're getting into no man's land.  Dispenser mechanism and control accessable but I'm afraid the rest of the door assy was manufactured from the inside out.  In the past I would replace the door as an assembly for damage issues (under warranty).  I guess now that these units have a few years under their belt we'll be seeing more rust problems.  Hopefully they will hold up better than the Frigidaires.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

yeah looks like you are going to have to sand it as best you can then apply some appliance enamel. That should at least slow the oxidation from the front.

#5 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Buckler

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

This part is not replaceable. You have to replace the door. You can only replace the display above the dispenser.

Exploded_View_Part_List_page_001.jpg

Edited by Ohm, 07 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Some sanding, a little paint and a few decorative fridge magnets can do wonders!

#7 puglvr

puglvr

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

Thanks to everyone that helped!  I was afraid that was what is would turn out to be.  My plan is to lever the bottom up with some small screwdrivers, sand as far back in as I can reach with a curved sander, coat with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, let it dry and then use white epoxy appliance touch up (new from Rustoleum).  I have had great luck with this reformer product on many an outside rusty antique metal relic, so it should work to move it inside to use.  I have noticed on new models on all brands that they have come up with everything from a flat surface to fancy pull-out shelves, none of which work.  Why can't they just do what the old frig door icemakers had - run a line from the tray inside the door down thru the hinge to the condenser tray so the overflow can evaporate! 

#8 puglvr

puglvr

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

And to DurhamAppliance - I'll make sure the decorative magnets I use to hide it are "plastic"!  LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics