Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sensor dry problem with samsung dv328agw

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crosstalk

crosstalk

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hello.  Bought a used dryer and trying to troubleshoot sensor dry mode.  Timed mode works fine.  Dryer seems to run forever in sensor mode.  When time remaining shows several minutes left a lot of time gets added to the cycle (maybe an hour?).  I cleaned the sensor bar with rubbing alcohol and tried to remove it to test the resistance but the connectors seemed to be on really tight.  Using temp+signal test mode with an empty drum, the numbers just count from 0 to around 2400.  Sometimes the display stops at zero for a minute but then starts counting seeming out of control again.  Any thoughts?  bad mainboard?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Assuming your exhaust vent is free and clear and unit is not displaying fault codes tS or od I would check resistance of thermistor and sensor bars at the main pcb.  To test thermistor, disconnect CN6 plug and test pins 2 and 6 on harness.  10k ohms at room temp should be ok.  To test sensor bars disconnect plug and test pin 4 (pink) to pin 5 (orange).  Resistance should 0 without laundry and 190 ohms with wet clothes.  Make sure lint screen is clear.  Could still be a bad main pcb with no fault codes and these components test good.

#3 crosstalk

crosstalk

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the advice and test points. First, I checked the vent. Took out a few handfuls of lint, but didn't seem too bad. Second, ran normal sensor cycle with empty drum. Unit shut off in 3 min like it is supposed to. Very interesting. I will test with laundry in a few days and figure out if I need to go further with the troubleshooting. Maybe it had too much backpressure.

One thing I did notice is the drum seems to be warped out of round making some noise when spinning. Is this common? I didn't even think to look at it before buying the machine.

#4 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

It is normal for drums to be out of round. I wouldn't worry about that, sounds like you have a bad main board. I had worked on a Samsung dryer with the same symptoms, main board fixed it

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,615 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

Main control board: http://www.repaircli...Number=DV328AGW

#6 crosstalk

crosstalk

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks again for all the help.  I am going to test further now that the vent is cleaner.  I am borrowing a linteater from a friend to get it as clean as possible.

I am wondering why a new board would fix this.  The hardware that is used to measure the impedance of the sensor bars is unlikely to fail.  Does samsung offer its technicians a way to update the software on these control boards or just replace them to get the latest software?  Of course, the hardware could get revised over time too.  By the way, this machine has version U100.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,615 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Does samsung offer its technicians a way to update the software on these control boards 

I know LG just came out with this ability and I'm sure Samsung is close by.  But it's only for authorized servicers.  Until then, you have to replace the board to get the latest updates.  The good news is that Samsung parts are cheap, cheap, cheap!  As a company, they have a philosophical problem with making a profit on parts.  

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,959 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

The good news is that Samsung parts are cheap, cheap, cheap!  As a company, they have a philosophical problem with making a profit on parts.  

I often wonder how long they will continue with this philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I love it but  for a company, it just aint natural.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics