Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermador PRDS486GL oven control and ignitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Harpoon IPA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

looking at an upgrade for the mrs. from our 1940s era 40" wide GE electric.  My folks bought it used when they got married. About 5 years back we lost one burner altogether when the control failed and the heat sensing burner is basically an on off now without any heat sensing functionality, that failed ages ago when the capillary gave out, and both ovens now require me to custom rewire the elements as the porcelain plugs have lost their temper and current passing ability.

we're soldiering on, but I just converted the heat to propane and now have the option for a dual fuel and I'm thinking seriously about it.

looking at some older models that I might be able to afford on the used market and the first thing I do is check the pricing and availability for oven controls and burner ignition.

The oven control for this model seems to be of of an analog sort although it might be a digital control concealed by typical knob. Have not found a parts breakdown yet -- continue to wonder where those hide on this site.  Thermador coughed up a breakdown for the cooktop parts but not the ovens.

But much discussion on the internet suggests the correct oven control for the larger of the 2 ovens is 486945 which has been discontinued although some repair techs have subbed a   487537  which does allow the oven to work although does not provide operation for the self-cleaning function.  Later in those threads there is some suggestiong that the 487537 has been superceded by 622568. To complicate matters the thermador website allows you to put any of these numbers into your cart but when I checked with support they told me the 486945 is discontinued.  Not sure they really know what they have and don't have.

Then found a recent thread where someone dispared of help but then found it at Sears online,  not clear if he found an old original, or a crossfit with full functionality or a later equivalent.

I wonder given that there doesn't appear to be any digital involved if this is an analog or digital control and how robust it is.  Even though it is a twist know I suppose it could have digital elements behind the knob which is always an issue from surges and it is difficult to employ sophisticated surge protection on a 50 amp load. (They ought to make the controls 110 and have a separate plug and then you could put them on the battery back-up side of UPS which has proven the best way to avoid spikes I've been able to find. but I digress.

If they are analog I would I imagine that there is less likelihood of a probelm. While I do see a few people on the net seeking them out, the analog oven controls for my 1949 GE are still working fine. Maybe they forgot how to make stuff that lasts, even on expensive ranges.

Any field experience with these controls and observations on their engineering would be much appreciated.

the smaller oven control is 487259.  AGain it shows available at Thermador (but who knows) for much less ($125 compared to $500).

Final problem.  The stovetop parts breakdown from Thermador shows electodes or sparkers on each burner but it doesn't show the ignition module or spark generator or whatever it is called. The online parts engine associated with the samauri offers those individual electrodes but no parts diagram I can find and no indication of other ignition parts. (It also, as an aside, doesn't list any oven controls - unsuprising if all available are not really direct replacements).

Any familiar with theory of ops for cooktop ignition and the correct module or style of ignition module? From what I can see this might be a 12 year old range.  what is up with this lack of documentation and support? Are you just supposed to buy a new Thermador every 10 years?

thanks,

brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Spark Module
Part number: 486771

Gas Simmer Control
Part number: 422882

After re reading your questions, Im more lost then ever, and have no idea what you really require

#3 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Harpoon IPA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Spark Module

Gas Simmer Control

After re reading your questions, Im more lost then ever, and have no idea what you really require

I'm looking at buying an old but relatively expensive used stove and want to make sure I can get the sine qua non repair parts and looking to hear if anyone has reflections from working on this or similar model.

Nothing is broken at the moment, but if oven controls or spark modules are going to end up in the no longer available category it might not be an investment I would want to make.

Already found there is a history of difficulty matching up oven controls for the larger oven that is documented on numerous threads around the web. so I was trying to see if anyone had experience with the suggested trick which is subbing the non-self cleaning oven controls and whether the controls are digitial or analog and how robust they are going to how likely I am to ever have a problem since, if they are analog, controls could go for 50 years. 

secondarily, none of the parts breaksdown I find show the spark module.  you seem to be responding to that query which I appreciate although I would really appreciate knowing where to find the parts diagrams.  that is one of the things it says are on this site but I have never been able to find any links to parts diagrams.

and it looks like the second part you linked is the simmer control.  I know the simmer is handled by a solenoid on and off function and is only the left two burners but again, the diagram I have doesn't show the control, it only shows the solenoids, i.e. the parts right on top at the burner area.

so I'm assuming that you have some way of knowing that these are parts that fit the model number in the post title and I'll follow those links for info on availability and cost.

thanks,

brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics