Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

An Unusual Fix For A Refrigerator With Hot Door Gaskets

refrigerator condenser fan kitchenaid yoder loop gaskets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,934 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Join Samurai Appliance Repair Man on an appliance repair safari where he hunts down the missing voltage to the condenser fan motor which was making the door gaskets feel hot.  The model number of this particular refrigerator is KSCS25INWH00 and it turned out that the main control board was the culprit, not supplying voltage to the condenser fan motor.  And to make our joy complete, this particular circuit board is no longer available.  So the Samurai did some field engineering and hot-wired the condenser fan motor to run all the time, restoring normal function to the refrigerator.  

Here's the video that explains the yoder loop that I mentioned in the video above:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fixyourboard

fixyourboard

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hey that's a smart field repair! Certainly more cost effective and energy efficient than throwing out the (high end model) refrigerator :)

By the way, we have been rebuilding a lot of those motherboards lately. Besides the condensor fan relay failing, the power regulator wigs out intermittently and causes all kinds of random intermittent problems. Sometimes the temperature display will dim out or flash as a failure indication. It can also cause the evaporator fan and compressor to run intermittently. So if you run into that next, don't scrap that expensive fridge. We'll be happy to rebuild the main board! Oh, and you'll be able to restore that condensor fan to normal operation.

#3 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Dear Fermented Grand Master, has you been hanging out in West Monroe , Louisiana , with the Robertsons??

LOL I keep mine trimmed, my head is too big so I got to keep it trimmed.

Good fix , I LIKE!!

By the way there are company's out there that rebuilt boards from all type of appliances.  Very handy on ovens etc.

You can get on line & see if they list your board & for how much.  I just had a GE/Kenmore  gas about 20+ with a simple 5 button

board for $180.00 compared to buying new one & remodeling cabinets.

#4 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Dont we wish all the boxes with motherboards ran ac fans! I liked that fix, im just curious what the charge would be for an enlightened repair like that.

#5 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I normally ask them to rename their first born, LOL, little old ladies get a kick out of that.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,934 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

liked that fix, im just curious what the charge would be for an enlightened repair like that.

This was a bit tricky because, of course, it's not in the flat rate guide.  But there is a task fee in the guide for a wire/terminal repair: $145.  So I used that as a starting point and I charged $175 because there was a little strategery involved.   :sorcerer:

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,934 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Dear Fermented Grand Master, has you been hanging out in West Monroe , Louisiana , with the Robertsons??

Well, dimitri, I'll tell ya, I’ve always had a bushy head of hair and I used to not bother trimming my beard. So, this is how I used to look when I’d go out for a service call:

beforeshearing.JPG

But I started thinking maybe I was scaring my customers. Little things, like I go up to the house and knock on the door and they’d answer with a shotgun in their hands. So, I figgered I better git me a hair cut and trim my beard and for a while I looked like this:

insanehead_small.jpg

But that's all back when I was young and beautiful.  Nowadays I'm back to letting my hair and beard grow out and I look more like this:

really_old_guy.jpg

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,018 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Where's the head band and gi? Nothing says "I'm sane" to a new customer like showing up on her porch wearing a Japanese head band and gi.
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,018 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hey that's a smart field repair! Certainly more cost effective and energy efficient than throwing out the (high end model) refrigerator :)

By the way, we have been rebuilding a lot of those motherboards lately....

I use you guys quite a bit. My go to board repair company along with corecentric. You guys have great customer service. Now don't take that as a license to start spamming. Lol
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator, condenser fan, kitchenaid, yoder loop, gaskets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics