Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Microwave #FGMV174KFB

Works for 10 seconds Goes dead

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

This is a built in above oven Microwave 14 months old that runs,heats, lights up perfectly for 10-12 seconds then dies.  will re start again when start button pushed for 10-12 seconds.   My thinking is the microwave has a fuse that resets itself.  Or loose door switch?   My experiance with microwaves is basicaly not much (get a new one, their cheap.   This one is $400, just out of warranty.    Any & all help is greatly appreciated.  Going to service manual request site to ask for a manual.   Where would I find a tech sheet in the unit itself?  Will make call on Monday.  A Very satisfied customer I have worked for before.    :thanks:  Patricio

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

sounds like the M/W Oven Cavity is over-heating

(for some reason)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Some of the Frigidaire otr's had an issue with the humidity sensor.  I forget what the symptoms were but had to replace a few under first year warranty.

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

The link is broken for humidity sensor,

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

works for me ..

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Humidity sensor P/N 5304440033

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

How is it tested for tolerances?

IgonFishn

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Continuity for sure.  Still looking for what resistance value.  I'll keep trying.

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Continuity for sure.  Still looking for what resistance value.  I'll keep trying.

Thanks for sure.  Ordered humidity sensor from APP, both RC & APP have it back ordered, not sure when it will be shipped.  Will give me plenty time to line up ducks.    

IgonFishn

#10 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I recently started learning about microwaves and am not familiar with a humidity sensor.  Are they on all models? and how do they work?  Thanks.

#11 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Doing my homework,  the few M/W's I've dismantled were counter models.  I've replaced door tension bars in a couple over range units.  Replace door switches in another couple, was able to access thru control panel.

I would think that this humidity sensor is attatched inside the cabinet to the top of the cavity chamber which I believe to access it the M/V has to come down off its perch.    Probly a pain of a job for one person.

Am I on the right tract.  After I get it down, ought to be piece of cake.   Am I on right tract.

IgonFishn

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

service manual

http://appliantology...gmv174-dgmv174/

#13 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

d

Thank you mucho gracious Senior Reg_US.   Found this post this morning.  

Went to customer (tightwad complaining about quote which I gave $220 over phone unit unseen).   Any way after Testing operation of M/W, it shut down after 30 seconds of operation with 3 tests, I pulled M/W down from cabinet mount & installed humidity sensor (Manual suggest to change out sensor is best way to test old sensor)  I found microwave Dead after putting back together & plugging in before remounting to cabinet.   Started tracing wiring & testing power to control panel.   Had to take unit apart again & low & behold found a thermal fuse that had a loose spade in the fuse & the plastic backing was damaged (my guess is from factory).  Wiggled & M/W would run, let go And it would go dead. 

Ordered fuse & is on way,  Hope control board did not suffer damage from the open connection surge.   By the way cheep ass customer wants me to put the old sensor back in to save him some money cause he looked on line & found the fuse is less expensive than the Humidity sensor Book price is $177 total job.  Does not matter that I did not quote extra to pull Unit off of wall, & will be putting back up on wall.  It is OK,  now I will have a humidity sensor to test other Units if I run into the problem again.  And I will have job security in future   cause he will call again.  I will just be prepared better with my quote.

IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics