Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Help Please! Over Filling washer GE WWSE3160A0WW

OVER FILL WWSE03160A0WW GE

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SusieCarrier

SusieCarrier

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:dew

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I am working on a GE WWSE3160A0WW residential washer that won't kick into wash mode from filling.  At the point of where is should start to wash it simply clicks and continues to fill.  I have checked the valve by turning the machine off as well as disconnect during fill to see if the valve stays open, it does not and appears to be working properly.  I checked the pressure switch by blowing into the tube from the top (got bubbles tho some resistance, making me think maybe its the tube or box attached to tub).  I also blew into the tube up towards the switch which my understanding is that should have kicked it into the wash cycle.  I got the same result as when filling, clicking and more filling.  This told me my pressure switch was bad and needed to be replaced.

Ordered (and waited) for pressure switch, so excited when it got here.  Installed and nothing!!  Same problem!  Fills, clicks (continuously, not just once or inter) and fills some more. 

Could this pressure switch I just got be defective or not working?  It fails the blow up the tube test also. (When performing the blow up the tube test, I have the washer with a couple of inches of water and as its filling I pulled the tube from the bottom by the tub and blew into it.  I immediately got the clicking, it pauses for less than a second and begins to fill again.  I'm thinking if the switch failed the test I might get nothing when blowing into the tube and the fill will just continue as if I had done nothing?)

One more thing, it will agitate once it gets to the set level, (pressure switch must be working then right?) but continues to click and fill as it agitates.  Also, it agitates at the same speed whether I have it on slow or fast, and actually appears to be really slow.  Could it be the control panel?

I'm new to this, learning so much but I'm sooo confused.  Haven't seen problems like this on all the forums I have looked for help in (lots).  I would also love to get ahold of the service manual for this machine which I have been unable to find, can you upload it for me?

Last bit of tid-bit - I did the field test mode and all worked like it should.  No error codes what-so ever, which tells me it wouldn't be the control panel?

Thanks in advance,  Susie

P.S. Love this site

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,858 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Filling while agitating is classic timer failure symptom

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Washer doesn't have a mechanical timer. As the washer is filling, unplug the connector at the water pressure switch. If it does not stop filling, unplug the washer. If it stops at that point, you likely have a faulty control board. If it doesn't, the water inlet valve is faulty. Did you test agitate function in service mode? Both high and low and speed didn't change? 

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 11 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

thanks for correcting me..but same principal......here is a manual I think goes for this one http://appliantology...prodigy-washer/

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Parts links depending on what you find:

circuit board:  http://www.repaircli...ard-Timer-Parts

water inlet valve: http://www.repaircli...er=WWSE3160A0WW

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

We have a group home client with one of these machines....not sure why they don't purchase a commercial washer...but at times it will click and behave strangely. Unplugging it seems to clear up the problem and they would rather do that then purchase a new board or a commerical washer. It's one of those times where we had to informed the client that our warranty will not cover their use of a consumer based product in a commercial setting.

#7 SusieCarrier

SusieCarrier

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

thank you all for your responses, links and manuals.  I had previously checked the valve, which is working properly, shuts off when washer is turned off and/or unplugged, so it is not freezing in open.  checked pressure switch which failed to stop the water running when I blew into the tube from the bottom, got a new one and same problem.  Finally did ohm check on switch and it also works properly.  I also did the field test mode (paper inside control panel) and all functions worked properly.  I may have gotten two error codes, but those lights came on at position 1, not position 2 like it says they would.  One was "Flood" (makes sense right, tell me something I didn't know lol).  The other was error code EEPROM which I could not find anywhere, hoping to find it in the service manual.  This was all done yesterday, before posting which is why I was so confused.  Trying to manually shift it into cycles, it does what it should do, although keeps filling.  I think it is the timer within the control board and that is where the clicking is coming from.  The clicking doesn't stop either

So, is that where we are at?  Control board has to be the problem?

Thanks again

oh yeah, unplugging it does not fix the problem on this unit

#8 SusieCarrier

SusieCarrier

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Durham, thanks for the manual, yes it covered my model, but about the only thing I got from it was that those two lights in field mode I mentioned are actually the model code.....duh on me.

Can those relays on the board be replaced or do you have to replace the whole board?  I can isolate which relay is clicking

#9 jambatt

jambatt

Senpai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Just a thought. Is the tube going to the pressure switch pinched or clogged with gookus? 

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out alive !

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

I had previously checked the valve, which is working properly, shuts off when washer is turned off and/or unplugged, so it is not freezing in open.  checked pressure switch which failed to stop the water running when I blew into the tube from the bottom, got a new one and same problem.  Finally did ohm check on switch and it also works properly.  I also did the field test mode (paper inside control panel) and all functions worked properly.  I may have gotten two error codes, but those lights came on at position 1, not position 2 like it says they would.  One was "Flood" (makes sense right, tell me something I didn't know lol).  The other was error code EEPROM which I could not find anywhere, hoping to find it in the service manual.  

Susie, you go girl!  You are more articulate and methodical than many techs I know (Appliantological Masters at this colossus of appliance repair excluded, of course.   :blinky: )

Nice job on the narrowing down the problem.  I gotta say it does sound like...

Control board has to be the problem?

Yes.  But since we're backing into the solution, let's make sure we've covered all the bases and checked for a nice clear pressure tube as Brother jambatt suggested.  It it checks good, then that only leaves the control board as the culprit. 

#11 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

The first thing we do when we get one of these GE toploads is to check the pressure switch hose, no matter what the complaint it.  19 out of 20 times that is the culprit.  Check to make sure there is no build up of crap, very common for these models.  You also have to clean out where the hose connects to the tub, using the same tool you used to clean out the orifises of gas cook tops.  

#12 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Pressure switch is closed with tub empty. When full, it opens. Pulling one wire connector off the switch while it's filling is easy and rules out anything to do with the switch including hose problems. A clicking relay doesn't mean the relay is bad, could be the control signal to the relay from the microprocessor. EEPROM is the memory chip with the program algorithm that runs the washer. The microprocessor does a "checksum" test on the data stored in it and if not correct (corrupt data), it gives error code.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 11 May 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

I think it a bad pressure hose also, I think the click they here is the pressure switch tripping to shut off water then air leaks out hole in hose and they here the click and the starts filling again.

Used the same bad hose on the new switch, same problem!!!!

Remove the pressure hose from top and bottom and get it out were you can get a good look at the the complete tub and look for any wear spots.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OVER FILL, WWSE03160A0WW, GE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics