Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune No Spin MAH5500BWW

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

This seems to be a bit different that the no spin issues I have read here. I tested this machine with water and laundry and it worked perfectly but needed bearings. I did the bearing and seal job and now it won't spin. I tested first with quick wash with a load of clothes and water hooked up and it did everything perfectly except no spin then tested with just spin cycle and still no spin. (It does pump out properly)

The door lock seems to lock properly and the door lock light comes on. I get no errors. I have unplugged it and tried it several times now after pushing various wire connectors in to make sure they are tight.

The strange thing is that once the timer counts down to 7 minutes left it suddenly jumps to 0, shuts off and gives the finish beep as if all went well.

OOPS. I posted this in the wrong section. Should have been in Laundry Repair Forum. Maybe someone in power can move this for me????

Edited by Garpy, 11 May 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

your wish....etc

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I tested this machine with water and laundry and it worked perfectly but needed bearings. I did the bearing and seal job and now it won't spin.

Please elaborate on this most interesting part.  Pacifically:

Did it spin before you did the bearing and seal job?  

What led you to conclude that it needed the bearing and seal job?  

What was the part number of the kit you installed?  

#4 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Try putting the unit in a quck spin test off the tech sheet. What does it do there?? Does it go up in the increments outlined on the tech sheet, or does it ramp up and down the whole time??

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

It's likely you installed the seal wrong, or the wrong seal, and it's bound-up. I take it you went with an after-market kit and did not replace the outer tub.

But, check the machine for other reasons for the no spin condition, it might not be related to your bearing job at all.

Spin-enable micro switch in door lock might be a good place to start

Edited by nickfixit, 12 May 2013 - 05:51 PM.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

To Samurai. I got the washer in on a trade in and as part of testing it, it did spin before I did the bearing and seal. That's when I determined the bearings were shot. I've heard many bad bearings and the sound is fairly obvious now. It was further proven on bearing inspection when I took the old ones out. The seal kit was PT# 12002022. I purchase all bearings locally from a bearing supply shop near me and much cheaper. When I retested the machine after all the work is when I discovered it now would not go into spin.

To: Trying to help.. I'll look at that on Monday and answer back then.

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Concur with Brother nick.  Check spin enable switch and wax motor in door lock assy.  Also check inertia balance switch on tub.

#8 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Also check inertia balance switch on tub.

That was it. I had no continuity at that switch. Tapped it with a screwdriver and it worked. I replaced the part for good measure. Thank you PDuff

This machine is now fixed. :woot:

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Also check inertia balance switch on tub.

wrhammer.gif

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

That was it. I had no continuity at that switch. Tapped it with a screwdriver and it worked. I replaced the part for good measure. Thank you PDuff

This machine is now fixed. :woot:

Booyah!  

surfers.gif

#11 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

On the 5500's, if you put them in spin via the quick spin test, and they ramp up and down 0-90 time after time and just keep doing that you have an open in the OOB circuit. Quick way to narrow it down.

Edited by Trying to help, 16 May 2013 - 09:27 AM.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics