Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag SXS MZD2766GEQ Compressor ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Customer calls me and says he had a repair company come out to fix his non working Maytag SxS refrigerator. The repair person told him that he needed a new relay and overload. The repair guy told him he was going to use a relay on steroids called a 3 in 1. I asked customer which one he said RCO410. In talking with customer he said he had found some info online to test the compressor. All the tests check out, continuity between all pins on comp, and infinity when ground checking. ?. Can a compressor check ok and still be fried. Could the comp drawing to many amps, fry the comp. I was not there, of course, when the other tech placed the 3 in 1 on it. I guessing the thing was hot as hell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by richseattle56, 11 May 2013 - 05:15 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't want to go out and test cord the compressor if it is most likely bad, and then charge the customer for a service call.

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Yes, they can test ok and be broken mechanically. I thought a relay was bad one time and kept clicking on overload. That wasn't the case. Even when it cooled down and still tripped. It ohmed out correctly as well. 3n1 relays are a no no in my book. I don't use them. I've been told they work fine on old ones though.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Also, as the varnish insulation on the compressor motor windings breaks down, it allows current to leak to ground.  The windings want a certain amount of power and so will draw the extra current to make up the difference.  That extra current draw causes more heat and this heat causes problems with the mechanical parts of the compressor-- bearings, piston, seals, etc.  

I agree with Bryan-- hard start kits are at best a grace period while the customer goes shopping for a new box.  You may get two weeks and then the compressor is Kentucky fried.  

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

... the other tech placed the 3 in 1 on it. I guessing the thing was hot as hell.

did the Compressor then work ?

It may have been "hot" because of the original  bad Start Relay

I belive 3 in 1's only cause damage when the Compressor is already bad, or on it's last legs..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I belive 3 in 1's only cause damage when the Compressor is already bad, or on it's last legs..

OTOH, if the compressor was still good, it wouldn't need a hard start kit, just a replacement OEM relay.   :blinky:

I'm never one to question anutha brutha's beliefs.  Personally, I believe Jesus Christ is God incarnate, died on the Cross, and rose from the dead on the third day.  I would hope that no one would take me to task for that belief.  

However, in the spirit of academic fellowship, I offer this document from Electrolux outlining their beliefs on hard start kits:  http://appliantology...ctrolux-policy/

Is it all in the eye of the believer?  Maybe so.  As our Lord Himself told the father of the demon-possessed boy, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." [Mark 9:23]  

#7 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Customer told me the refrigerator worked fine for 2 to 3 weeks and then died. I am not going to cause him more undo expense. I will advice him to get a new fridge or a good used one. I also believe "you reap what you sow"

Samurai, I agree with you completely.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

note to ministers:

"Thou shalt not share thy rod with thy staff."

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

I know the following passage talks about something else. But?  You do reap what you sow. Thanks to the whole Appliantology Academy. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

As Malachi says:

“if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.  Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes,” says the Lord of hosts.

Listen to this: Psalm 8

Edited by richseattle56, 11 May 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#10 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

If  the compressor will not start on OEM start pak and your Meg-O-Meter sez the windings are in the green ( off the scale ) it is more a mechanical problem........  I would have used an Supco 3-N-1   model number RCO 810, good for 1/12 to 1/5 H.P. compressor...........An RCO 410 is good for 1/4 to 1/3 H.P...too much uummppphhhh to get it going.........But, as in the previous posts that we have discussed this, it is like Pepsi or Coke......Rum or vodka......  When I install a 3-n-1, I tell the customer it is on "life support", this will get you thru to keep the beer cold till you get another refer.....I  have units going on a year with the smaller H.P. 3-N-1................Out here in this neck of the woods, they get a new unit and the one on life support becomes the garage cooler, A.K.A  the  Beer-N- Bait  unit......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics