Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Defrost

following another tech

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch Beer and Canadian Whisky

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yes

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Let's make sure we are on the same page

1)Did you test the thermistor from the mainboard using the ice water test?

2) Did you perform the heater-defrost limit test from the mainboard as well?

There are only 4 things that can affect this circuit....board, heater, limit and thermistor. If your heater, limit and thermistor tests fine, and considering you are having an issue with your display, you may have another bad board......all subject to connection/wiring problems

also and I'm not sure on this but does the instructions for your board require cutting a thermistor wire for bottom mount fridges as found on the wr55x10942 boards?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#23 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

also and I'm not sure on this but does the instructions for your board require cutting a thermistor wire for bottom mount fridges as found on the wr55x10942 boards?

I learned the hard way a few years back but I have been behind other appliance companies and have had to cut the wire for them. 

However, as I remember, the problem with not cutting the wire was no cool air to fridge side from the damper not opening. 

#24 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Let's make sure we are on the same page

1)Did you test the thermistor from the mainboard using the ice water test?

2) Did you perform the heater-defrost limit test from the mainboard as well?

#1 yes

#2 no

But I will give it a try.

I'll check the tech sheets and find the jump.

thanks again,

Oceti

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

#25 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yes

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

#26 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

I learned the hard way a few years back but I have been behind other appliance companies and have had to cut the wire for them. 

However, as I remember, the problem with not cutting the wire was no cool air to fridge side from the damper not opening. 

I guess it can depend on the model. I've read in another thread that nothing  happened differently....and here is an excerpt from applianceblog:

It is possible that not cutting the jumper out of the J1 connector will cause a defrost problem. To be honest I don’t know what happens if you don’t because I have never not cut the wire. I did have someone contact me saying they installed a new board and their refrigerator wouldn’t run after installing the board. Then I asked them if they cut the jumper, they said they didn’t, they cut it and then it ran fine. But it is very important to cut the wire if it is a model that needs it cut.

#27 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

I guess it can depend on the model. I've read in another thread that nothing  happened differently....and here is an excerpt from applianceblog:

It is possible that not cutting the jumper out of the J1 connector will cause a defrost problem. To be honest I don’t know what happens if you don’t because I have never not cut the wire. I did have someone contact me saying they installed a new board and their refrigerator wouldn’t run after installing the board. Then I asked them if they cut the jumper, they said they didn’t, they cut it and then it ran fine. But it is very important to cut the wire if it is a model that needs it cut.

This is really amazing.  I am only going to tell this story once BUT it happened to me TWICE in about a 30 day span.  The story is exact, just a different customer.  Remember, this same story happened one day and again 30 days later.

I get a call from a customer.  They have a home warranty plan and Sears had been out several times to fix their refrigerator.  Sears originally came out and replaced the GE adaptive defrost control board.  The freezer got cold and was working properly but the refrigerator was not getting cold (after Sears came out and replaced the board).  Let me be clear.  I'm sure the control WAS the problem when Sears arrived at the house.  The Sears tech was right in replacing the board.  Anyway, the customer calls me and tells me that the home warranty company ended up buying him a new fridge because the repairman could not find/fix the existing one.  OK so the customer has a new refrigerator but decides he'll keep the old one and put it in the garage and call a different repair company (me) out to fix it.  Long story short, I couldn't find why the damper to the refrigerator would not open. 

Customer 2 calls, exact same story.  Has a new fridge and wants to put the old one in the garage and have me fix it.  I tell him this exact same thing happened just a few wks ago.  I'm really interested in finding out whats going on so I ask the 2nd customer if I could load up the fridge and take it to my shot when I had more time to really dig into it.  So I loaded it up.

About a wk later I go on a call (1st company out this time) and it's a bad control board.  I opened the new control board and the directions fall out.  I notice the serial prefixes and said to myself, "wait a minute".  I went to the customers fridge that was in my shop.  It had been turned on and running but only the freezer was cold.  I open the back, cut the wire, and the damper opens up.  Problem fixed.

I've gone behind Sears once again and another local repair company that did not cut the wire.  Everytime the wire wasnt cut it led to the damper in the fridge not opening. 

Thats just my experience.  I have not seen this cause a defrost issue.

#28 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

With boards, I'm reluctant to rule anything out. All you can do is go by what usually happens, what possibly can happen and/or what you have experienced. Personally, I don't trust the lying sonuvabritches.

#29 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

BTW, is it possiable to check the diode in the evap fan motor?

I'm starting to not liking GE Hotpoint.

Edited by Oceti, 26 May 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

#30 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'm still uncertain about the diode you are talking about.. Can you upload a picture? However, if your fan is working it's less likely that the fan is causing your problem.

#31 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

Memorial Day

All flags at half.

Remember our fallen Heros.

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics