Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Lost power to several light switches, now Im lost?

drkwoods

I have a set of three way light switches in my hallway at either end. I wanted to add a power outlet so the computer printer could sit at the end of the hallway on a desk. I opened up and removed the switch and did what they told me to do at HomeDepot and I was looking at a wiring diagram for the three way and thought I had it all right. I turned the breaker on and got an immed spark and smell/ But the breaker did not trip. I lost the power to the two bedrooms, the hallway and the stair case lights. the house was built 1988 and light switches only have two wires in them on each side of the switch. The three way swithches all have 4 wires in them.. Ive tested everything and I see 120v at the original threeway switch but I cannot get the lights to work anywhere on this circuit. Did I lose neutral? or what happened?  where do I start?

more than likely you lost neutral in your bedroom. Get a cheap outlet tester to confirm... or if you have a non contact volt meter and it signals voltage is present but outlet doesn't work, that will also confirm loss of neutral. make sure to check voltage leaving the breaker as well. That's about the extent I can help you without being there. One of the other masters here more familiar with electricity may be of more service.

Caveat.... Since you experienced a burning smell, you should strongly consider getting a licensed electrician. Your family's safety is paramount.

Once that is solved, of further utmost concern is that you list Pliny the Elder as your favorite beer.... are you kidding me? I've been searching for a bottle of that stuff for years... I'll even be satisfied with The Younger if I could ever get it. We have one of the best beer stores in the east Sams Quick Stop, and several years back when I asked them to find me a bottle, they laughed at me. So I just gave up. lol

• Like 1

You may just have a bad switch

There's normally only 3 wires going to each 3-way switch.

Neutral doesn't connect to any of the switches, and might not be in the switch box.

switches.jpg

• Like 1

the threeway switches have only 3 wires each.. But the switch box has the neutrals wire nutted together. IN one box theres three neutrals (Whites) in the other theres two.

• 4 weeks later...

the threeway switches have only 3 wires each.. But the switch box has the neutrals wire nutted together. IN one box theres three neutrals (Whites) in the other theres two.

Correct

check out his video