Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kennmore Trio - Freezer OK, Fridge warm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BornABruin

BornABruin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

I've been doing some diagnosis of my partially working Kennmore Trio (596-73502201) bottom freezer refrigerator.  I believe that I have a dead evaporator fan (since I can't hear or feel any air being blown).  I need to dissassemble the freezer to make sure but can't do that until tomorrow morning.  I'm wonding if I can build a kluge to keep things runing until tomorrow until I can find parts.  I'm thinking of using a couple of PC case fans and move air though the air returns. 

Question:  in what direction does the air flow in the refrigerator?  Does it flow into the refrigerator from the damper to the air return vents the bottom rear of the frige (or the other direction)? 

Or am I crazy and should live with the dead frig until the parts arrive?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Air is drawn through the evaporator by the evaporator fan and pushed through the belt adjusted damper at the top rear center of the fresh food compartment.  The air returns to the freezer section via ducts located behind crisper drawers.  Make sure evaporator is not overfrosted.  If evaporator frost pattern looks good and fan is not running then evap fan motor is the usual suspect.  P/N 12002225

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,608 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

a picture of your frost pattern would help.....does the fan turn when you keep the light switch pressed in and/or the bottom drawer closed? You have no idea how many times I think.."oh the fan isn't working"...then I remember to press the light switch or close the doors.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 BornABruin

BornABruin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm not sure if the fan should run when the doors are open, but I did try the two door switches.  The lights turned off but the fan still didn't run.  I'll try to post a picture of the frost pattern tomorrow morning.

a picture of your frost pattern would help.....does the fan turn when you keep the light switch pressed in and/or the bottom drawer closed? You have no idea how many times I think.."oh the fan isn't working"...then I remember to press the light switch or close the doors.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

I believe the Door Switches need to be closed.

Will the Evaporator Fan run at all if given a "push" ?

Is that one of those Amanas that use the Defrost Bi-metal in the Evaporator Fan circuit ?

Does the Defrost work OK ?

Do you have a wiring diagram you could scan & post ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 BornABruin

BornABruin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

I forgot to close the door switches.  On the other hand, I did give the fan a push and it did start turning, but not at any significant speed (at least not enough to push any volume of air up into the refrigerator. 

Unfortuantely I do not have a schematic -- it would have been useful here to be sure. 

------------------------------------------

I believe the Door Switches need to be closed.

Will the Evaporator Fan run at all if given a "push" ?

Is that one of those Amanas that use the Defrost Bi-metal in the Evaporator Fan circuit ?

Does the Defrost work OK ?

Do you have a wiring diagram you could scan & post ?

#7 BornABruin

BornABruin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

I thought I would close out the tread -- it was the Evaporator motor.  I replaced the motor and all is well with both the refrigerator and freezer again.  Thanks for everyone's help!

I have a new problem with a dedicated chest style freezer, but that is a problem for a different thread...

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,608 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the update. Not only are we glad you fixed it but your post and resolution are valuable to us as well as it adds to the collective knowledge of this site. Great job!

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics