Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Range Fault code F5

F5 Locked oven

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

We had an electric light storm the other night.  Nice show.   Unfortunately for some they did not have surge protection.  Have a complaint on an whirlpool oven the bake, broil, & surface elements all work then the f-5 code chimes in & dead oven.   Also the clean oven lock switch is stuck in lock position.   Questions:

1.  What is the code meaning,

2.  How does I manually unlock the door.

3.  How would a power interruption engage the lock mechanism

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 3,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

need a model number.....you can use a coat hanger usually from the left side, slide it between the door and oven body and pull the latch (this method may sound crass but it is usually found in many service manual).  You may also try unplugging oven, plug it back in, engage self cleaning then cancel it after 10-15 minutes

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, sleep deprived.  Model #WFE361LVB

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 micabay

micabay

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Computers are stupid.  They don't remember what they were doing before the power went off.  There fore, when the power comes back on, they are programed to lock the door... because, just maybe by chance, ole Aunt Sally had her oven up to a billion degrees during the self clean cycle when the power failed.  The designer made it so, dear Aunt Sally, couldn't open the door, until the computer was satisfied the temperature was safe to expose your favorite Aunt to the now mild conditions inside her favorite oven.

Of course, this could have all been some BS bar story I once heard...   :blinky:

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

http://appliantology...ktop-wfe361lvb/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Control board fried like a burnt green tomato.  The latch motor locked up tight, open circuit.  

The house lost its ground from the utility company according to customer.   More than likely lost its neutral.   Microwave, kitchen TV, stereo, and other electronics were fried in this surge.

Now the kicker is customer wants me to prepare a bill stating cost of repairing items because his national insurance company (Allstate) won't do anything until he brings repairman in to estimate damages.   So much for your in good hands with Allstate.  

I can't do anything for the other electronics, but I can give him a blue book price for the appliances, more than likely will not get the repair, only the diagnostic charge which is OK.   Customer is stuck for all the cash paid for house repairs & diagnostic charges until Allstate settles.

Customer originally asked if I gave free estimates on damages.   Huh.

IgonFishn

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I've heard, if the loss of neutral is the power company's fault,

then they are responsible for the repairs / replacement of devices ..

unless it was from an electrical storm (act of God)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 3,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Always recommend whole house surge protectors. Many power companies will provide one at a small cost, and then warrant everything connected to an outlet from storms and surges.
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

I will pass this information on to all my customers and others.

IgonFishn

#10 micabay

micabay

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

http://www.campingwo...or-50-amp/56424

#11 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

I've heard, if the loss of neutral is the power company's fault,

then they are responsible for the repairs / replacement of devices ..

unless it was from an electrical storm (act of God)

This is correct, and many people do not know this.  I ran across this post by accident and figured I'd chime in.  If the grounded conductor goes you now have a series circuit between the 2 hots shooting voltages around 160-180. 

#12 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Not  the voltage but it is the amps that will get you.......Did a call, big storm, a lot of lightning strikes...........Fried range clock...............The lightning hit the tall pine tree out side, split the tree all the way to the ground ( over 100 feet tall)....Then  the current arced over to the full rain gutter, traveled about 20 feet of gutter, traveled  down  the wall, came out about four feet from the floor, exited the wall from a drywall screw  ( popped the mud off the screw ) and arced over a foot to the range, small burn mark on the rear console panel....arced over to the circuit board, burnt area on board, then probably thru the  neutral/ground path......................So much for a "Whole Home" surge protector.........

#13 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Not  the voltage but it is the amps that will get you.......Did a call, big storm, a lot of lightning strikes...........Fried range clock...............The lightning hit the tall pine tree out side, split the tree all the way to the ground ( over 100 feet tall)....Then  the current arced over to the full rain gutter, traveled about 20 feet of gutter, traveled  down  the wall, came out about four feet from the floor, exited the wall from a drywall screw  ( popped the mud off the screw ) and arced over a foot to the range, small burn mark on the rear console panel....arced over to the circuit board, burnt area on board, then probably thru the  neutral/ground path......................So much for a "Whole Home" surge protector.........

I really don't think a surge protector is going to protect from a direct hit.  Something like the power of mother nature or God.   Is all that protection going to protect a tanks occupants from a direct hit?

IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics