Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool GI5SVAXVL00 Refrigerator Freezing Food in Crisper Bins

refrigerator crisper freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

I have a customer with a Whirlpool refrigerator that has been freezing fruits and vegetables in the crisper bins. Model #GI5SVAXVL00, this is a high-end model with the french doors and bottom freezer drawer. It also has the ice maker located in the upper-left area of the refrigerator section. They've played with the crisper bin humidity controls to no avail (turned all the way up, all the way down, doesn't seem to make any difference). I ran the diagnostic tests (through the keypad on the front of the left refrigerator door) for all of the refrigerator's components and nothing appeared to be broken or working improperly. The freezer is working fine, and the refrigerator section is cooling properly. I'm stumped as to what this may be! In my google searches for any other answers or advice, I came across a kit that looks like a roll of weather stripping that's called a 'Water Tank Freeze Kit'--but I don't know if installing that kit would have any effect on the temperature in the crisper bins. Any suggestions what to look for, or advice as to how I may resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Trevor

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

After consulting a fellow Appliantologist, I found out about this kit: http://www.repaircli...0295078/1875416

It appears to be an upgraded ice bin cover that makes a better seal for the ice bin assembly, preventing cold air from escaping from the ice bin section in the refrigerator. I'll have to consult the customer to see if they'd like me to proceed with the repair, and if they do have me order and fix it, I'll update my post with results.

In the meantime, has anyone out there installed one of these for a similar issue?

Trevor

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,716 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

I've never had the pleasure. Looking forward to your extensive photo essay.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Well, after adjusting the temperature from 38 to 41 degrees in the refrig section, the problem is resolved...for now. If the problem should rear it's ugly head again, I may get the opportunity to install the kit I linked to above. In the case that I do, I will certainly take photos and document the process for further reference.

Trevor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics