Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

F 1 ERROR WHIRLPOOL

WASHER WTW660SW2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:rootbeer

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

DEAR MASTER,

I have a whirlpool wtw660sw2 washer that gets the f1 error.I think the only way to repair is to replace exspensive electronic control.Is this correct or is there something elese that can be done.

SAMANERA

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Have you checked  the pressure hose to make sure it's not kinked or leaking?  

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Master Thirsty is pointing you in the right direction!

From Service Bulletin  L8178767:

CUSTOMER CONCERN:

Customer has F1 Error Code.

CAUSE:

The control is sensing an error in the signal from the air pressure sensor circuit.

CORRECTION:

There are four areas of concern that can cause the F1 Error Code. Each area must be sequentially addressed to ensure that the diagnosis is correct and the proper repair is completed.

1. A)  Air leaks in the air pressure (switch/sensor) hose.
    a. Inspect the hose for cracks, pin-holes or loose connection.
    b. Replace the hose and harness assembly (W10058730) if it is compromised.

2. B)  Moisture in the air pressure (switch/sensor) hose.
    a. Inspect the hose for evidence of water.
    b. Replace the hose and harness assembly (W10058730) if water is detected.

C) Lint or flashing in the air dome hose connection port.

1. Inspect the air dome hose connection port for lint or flashing.

2. Use a small round device (small screwdriver) to ensure that there is nothing blocking the air dome outlet on the tub.

D) The control needs to be replaced.

a. Replace the control only after you have completed steps A – C above, and verified that there are no issues with the air pressure system

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Kinda off subject, but how does one discover these service bulletins besides through your lovely establishment?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Lots of potty reading.  Seriously.  Service bulletins and pointers make great toilet reading.  In the case of Whirlpool, I get the periodic service updates which have all the bulletins and pointers in them.  Takes lots of after-hours time to stay up on all the the technical changes with appliances today!  

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Do you get service bulletins in your email when they come out, or do you have to be part of the elite warenty working class?

#7 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Sometimes, after making sure the air dome is clear and there's no leaks, you can re-calibrate the pressure sensor and all is well. Thats only worked for me once however. Most often the pressure sensor has failed and your looking at replacing that entire control. Also, it seems like it'll give you the F1 if you don't have exactly the right amount of air in that air dome. Even with new boards that work fine. 

http://www.repaircli...0189966/1469076

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Do you get service bulletins in your email when they come out, or do you have to be part of the elite warenty working class?

Well, budrow, being the Samurai an' all, appliantological wisdom reaches me through multitudinous modalities. Can I hear you say that wi' me one time? So what this means is that, depending on the manufacturer and the Special Samurai Stategery I have set up with them, I may get updates via snail mail, email, direct cranial injection, or even colonicaly, in the case of a recent Jenn-Air range I'm currently skirmishing with.

Anything else I can enlighten you on today, mah bruvah?

#9 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well, budrow, being the Samurai an' all, appliantological wisdom reaches me through multitudinous modalities. Can I hear you say that wi' me one time? So what this means is that, depending on the manufacturer and the Special Samurai Stategery I have set up with them, I may get updates via snail mail, email, direct cranial injection, or even colonicaly, in the case of a recent Jenn-Air range I'm currently skirmishing with.

Anything else I can enlighten you on today, mah bruvah?

I was expecting to see "after hours dumpster diving at corporate headquarters" listed.  But I suppose you have all your bases covered between the cranial and colon injections.  Party on Samurai, party on!  :rocker:

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Party on, Garth!

#11 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Kanichiwaa,

I went to customers home today and inspected the air hose for cracks or pinholes found none. Also looked

at it to see if there was moisture or water in it and found none.Then looked at airdome for lint or flashing.Iam not sure what flashing is but didnt see any obstructions.I replaced control boardand started a load for customer and no problems.The customer did complain about another problem that when it spins it sounds like a jet taking off.I dont know what to say about that other then you can select the RPM on the control and suggested that to her.If any of you guys know if this is a common complaint or problem I wouild be appreciative.

Apparently the control board solved the F 1 issue

SAMANERA

#12 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

It's been my experience that the board replacement is usually the fix for F1, but you have to eliminate the pressure hose/air dome possibilities too.  

Flashing is the thin plastic that is left behind from a molded part, plastic in this case. 

As far as the "jet engine" noise goes for Cabrio/Bravos/Oasis it is a very common complaint  http://appliantology...d-tool-w-video/

As a tip: before you ever quote one of these bearing replacement make sure the basket can be removed off of the shaft.  Some of these are so bad that the basket is rusted to the shaft and wont come off.

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

I also receive e-mails from regional rep for new service pointers as well as checking Service Matters shiny new search center for recent publications.  I also believe Whirlpool is using some kind of astral/dream projection while I sleep.  Woke up this morning muttering something about dryer door catches and when I got to the shop and checked the inbox there it was!  Door catch change to the 2013 WOD (wide open door).  Weird.

#14 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Thanks Samurais,

The lady called me back this morning and said her washer was leaking.I went and found it leaking at center of tub.I wish people would tell me they have other problems specially when I ask if they did.Oh well told her what it needs and cost and she almost fainted ,so I offered her a refund and she said she was going to talk to her husband about it.I was there yesterday after installing the new control and ran it thru a wash.The next time I get one of these Iam going to check closer.Wasnt expecting two huge problems with a five year old washer.Live and learn.Thanks for the tip on the basket possibly being rusted to shaft

SAMANERA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics