Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing a Burnt Refrigerator Compressor Start Relay

refrigerator compressor start relay burn replace whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Watch with shock and awe as the Samurai ruthlessly hunts down the cause for a refrigerator that gave off a burnt smell and then started warming up. Turns out the start relay on the compressor had burned slap up! Be amazed, o ye peoples, praise him all ye nations! 

Here's the genuine, OEM relay kit I used to fix this refrigerator: http://www.repaircli...466?RCAID=24038

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,559 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

When replacing start relays, I always plug it in let it run in run mode for a minute then unplug it and plug it back in  so it will go into start mode to check out the start windings.  Is that necessary?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

It's not a bad assurance check just to make sure the compressor hasn't been heat damaged and become a hard starter.  If it fires back up after you initially install the new start device, then you know the start winding is okay.  What you're really checking when you do your test is the bearings and mechanical components in the compressor that may have become damaged by the extra heat.  Not a bad idea.  I always do a compressor current draw and look for readings well under 2 amps.  On normal, older compressors, I'll usually see around 1.2 to 1.4 amps, even less on some of the newer ones.  If I'm really suspicious, I'll break open a can of whup-ass, er, I mean, my megger and check for current leakage from those compressor windings to ground.  

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,559 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

ok... that makes sense.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,683 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Nice to see someone use factory parts. All the techs in my town love supco and exact and all that off brand stuff. We are the only shop that uses factory parts in my town. It's ridiculous.
Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#6 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

When you replace it with a factory part, and the compressor does not take off, then ( I heard, and have had a SUPCO get it going)

I ordered one relay factory part, and it would not run, but did on the supco.

I have some questions on the difference between the units with a start capacitor and a run capacitor.  Using what I read on the supco part, it helps those units that use a start cap.  I have several units that have a run cap, is there a way to set up some sort of test device, that has the start cap in the circuit, but will also give the compressor an extra boost at the start.  The extra boost, jump on the compressor is why some use the SUPCO, for hard starts (thats how I understand it may not be right)

I just recently replaced a control board on a Kenmore Whirlpool , and the compressor is trying to start but drawing high amps and kicking off.  I need to find the tricks of the trade on the site, or get some help here.  This kenmore model # is 1065352202.  I have a Kitchen aid with same problem.  I am going to go read the WP job aid.  Hope I have made the questions clear.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Best practices and standing instruction from all manufacturers: If a compressor will not reliably start with the OEM start device or relay then it's not long for this world-- replace the compressor... or the entire refrigerator.  

When (not if) the compressor fails soon after you put in the after-market device (weeks to months), then you will be liable (for blame, if nothing else) because you didn't follow the manufacturer's instructions.  

If you informed the customer of this and they signed off on it, that's a different matter.  

As far as I'm concerned, this is a dead issue that has been discussed to death elsewhere in these forums.  The manufacturers have spoken clearly and unambiguously on this issue.  If you don't like this, take it up with them.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator, compressor, start relay, burn, replace, whirlpool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics