Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air JDS9865BDP Faux-Commercial DF Range: weird control problem and control panel disassembly

Jenn-Air range control panel

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Got my butt kicked by a Jenn-Air range today. The complaint was that after staring up Bake, the unit would kick out after a couple minutes. Similarly for any of the oven functions, including self clean. Then the keypad would become unresponsive until power was cycled to the range where you could attempt to run Bake only to have it kick out again. And so on.

Unsure whether the problem was the touch panel or the ERC, I wanted to open the control panel to do some tests. Here's where I got my ass handed to me. According the instructions from the service manual for this range, here's how you get into the control panel:

Control Panel Assembly Removal 1. Remove power from unit. 2. Remove burner switch control knobs. 3. Remove front screws securing control panel to chassis. 4. Remove screws located on the left and right sides of the control panel. 5. Grasp control panel on the far left and right sides and gently pull the control panel out and down.

NOTE: The electronic control located in the control panel is a sensitive item, handle gently.

6. Label and disconnect wire terminals. 7. Remove infinite switch control knobs, infinite switches, indicator lights, rocker switches, and electronic control/clock (as necessary) and transfer to the new control panel. 8. Reverse procedure to reinstall control panel.

Sounds easy except it doesn't work that way! In fact, I couldn't figure out how to get in there. That's when I realized I need help from my Brethren on The Craft.

So, Brethren, I beseech thee: any pointers for me on what's going with the control problem in this range and how to get into the control panel?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

... I couldn't figure out how to get in there.

How far did you get ?

JDS9865BDP      c.2005

M0610318-00005.png

OR

JDS9865BDP22  c.2010

JDS9865BDP23  c.2011

W1112009-00003.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, Reg.  The control panel is the one in the top diagram with the bezel behind the gas burner knobs.  I couldn't even get the control panel off.  Removed the knobs, bottom screws and the two end screws  It would shift a little bit in a promising manner, but would not just come out.  

Another odd thing with this one is that the only way I got the model/serial numbers were off the customer's registration card-- could not find a model number tag on this machine to save my life. Had the bottom toe panel off to unplug and no sign of the tag down there, either. 

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

which service manual is that from ?

how about PDF page 25 of this JDS9860A manual ?

3. Open oven door and remove screws securing control panel.

http://appliantology...s9860-16026016/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Another odd thing with this one is that the only way I got the model/serial numbers were off the customer's registration card-- could not find a model number tag on this machine to save my life. Had the bottom toe panel off to unplug and no sign of the tag down there, either. 

Page 9 shows the model/serial tag location.  It's in the worst place ever, leave it to maytag.  

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

which service manual is that from ?

how about PDF page 25 of this JDS9860A manual ?

3. Open oven door and remove screws securing control panel.

Yeah, did that.  That's pretty much the same fire drill as in the other manual.  There's gotta be some trick like, "tilt upward and pull outward while standing on your left leg and holding your breath" kind of a thing.  

Page 9 shows the model/serial tag location.  It's in the worst place ever, leave it to maytag.  

Although I was down there to unplug the range, maybe, just maybe, I did happen to overlook that location.  Thanks for the pointer. 

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yes sir, I danced with this one before.  Ordered touch control for bad numerical keys.  Went back to unit blind as a bat.  Wound up disconnecting blower vent and pulling unit out of its lair.  Removed cooktop frame (screws on back and side lips as well as inside vent frame).  Can't remember if there were a couple of hidden screws or not but was able to remove fascia at that point.  Control heat shield was a little tricky but I was flying pretty smooth at that point.  Hidden screws a definite possibility.  Didn't know what the service manual said and still don't.  There is an inside panel inside that fascia that has to line up when assembling.  Buttoned unit up, slid back in place, reconnected vent, checked operation.  All was cool.  Had to adjust the bezels behind the valve knobs though until movement was just right.  It's doable but could be a daykiller.  Schedule accordingly.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Based on your experience, Brother PDuff, I'd have to say that service manual is pert near werfless.  I mean, remove the top panel like on the old style Jenn-Airs and the service manual doesn't even give a hint of that in the destructions?  I'd have to say that's a disservice manual a la LG and Samdung, both famous for wrong technical destructions and incorrect wiring diagrams.  There's gotta be another way or else I'm coming home, Elizabeth!  

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Roger that.  Been led astray many a time by the manual.  Sometimes it's just best to jump in feet first.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Stay thirsty, my friend.

Summer service calls,

Dehydration cotton mouth.

Pit stop for Big Gulp.

biggulp.jpg

#11 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thats funny. Not too far off from what people are really drinking. Whats the whiskey ratio for a drink that size?

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Went back out for Round 2 on this one today.  This time, the Samurai opened up a can o' whup ass and gave it to this beast goodnhard!  

The trick to taking the bullnose off:  yes, remove the side screws, the bottom screws and the knobs but, and here's the trick, you have to remove the bezel pieces under the knobs.  The bezel is held on with two screws and the underneath the bezel is yet another screw that holds the front of the bullnose to the bracket.  

Once all those are removed, the bullnose comes down and off easy peasy.  

With the bullnose off, I could check the touchpads on the touchpanel as well as the sensor, door lock motor, door lock switch, and door position switch.  Found a shorted keypad, the Clean button.  Touchpanel is on order.  

Part number: AP4396461

Part number: AP4396461

Not sure this is the only problem but it's the only one I could find and, in accordance with the 8th Law of the Prophecy, we must fix obvious problems first.  

Will update after the touchpanel is installed.  

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well done, bro.  Will add that move to my tactics.  Touchpad will cure all.  What page in the manual was that on?

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

What page in the manual was that on?

The destructions from the manual for disassembling the bulllnose were basically useless and mentioned nothing about the hidden screws behind the bezel.  Okay, nice they pointed out the side screws but any money could have figured that out.  

The tech sheet (not the one included with the range, downloaded from ServiceMatters:  http://appliantology...bdp-tech-sheet/ ) has a pinout of the touchpanel ribbon connector.  Using that, I just went down the list and started checking every keypad until I found the Clean button stuck closed (trace 5 to 7 on the ribbon connector).  

#15 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Worked on a TON of these when I worked for Maytag Factory Service and STILL working on a ton of these where I work now. I've become the Jenn-Air pro.

Scott Wolf

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Dude!  Where were you when I needed you when I started this topic?  It's like the cavalry galloping in after the settlers have already been skinned, scalped, raped and slaughtered.    :smileymoon:

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Just to close this topic off on a happy ending... I installed the new touchpanel today and design function was fully restored.  

Samurai:  1

Faux-commercial Jenn-Air:  0

#18 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I did not read this post cuz I saw the Samurai A.R.M. was all over it..............I did not think you needed a little assistance.............I see quite a few of these units , all generations....Every one wants the open kitchen ( for the ocean views )........DSCF1048.jpg

)...........Finishing up on a JDS9860BDW with a " long bake time " complaint ( week-end rental, people baking 20 large potatoes incorrectly ).....Plus broken knob....................... Don't you hate it when a simple fix puts  us back in our place  ( some times I get the feeling I'm not as great as I think I am :rolleyes: ) . 

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I did not read this post cuz I saw the Samurai A.R.M. was all over it..............I did not think you needed a little assistance........

I was the OP on this topic in my plaintive plea for help.  I gotta thank Brother Trying to help for the personal counseling and Larry at the Whirlpool tech line for turning me on to the correct tech sheet for this one.  

Cool pic!  If that's close to where you live, you're almost as lucky as me!  

0_0_cb639f2c36b0f1913578ba710daf7110_1

#20 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Customers kitchen view.........018-1.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jenn-Air, range, control panel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics